Associate Salaries in Detroit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Associate Salaries in Detroit

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haven't posted here yet, incoming SA at a firm in MI.

This Honigman raise has been an illusive topic since like September. I don't know what to think. It wasn't mentioned in their SA recruitment. If it was happening, I think it should of been because it would have helped H be a LOT more competitive compared to national firms in MI. Just my two cents FWIW.
I have a friend who is a third year there that told me that first years at Honigman is 150k now
What are third years making?
Based on their website, in 2015 this was the comp, including bonuses:
First full calendar year: $110,000 - $150,000
Second full calendar year: $120,000 - $180,000
Third full calendar year: $150,000 - $200,000
Fourth full calendar year: $150,000 - $240,000

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:59 am

This Honigman raise has been an illusive topic since like September. I don't know what to think. It wasn't mentioned in their SA recruitment. If it was happening, I think it should of been because it would have helped H be a LOT more competitive compared to national firms in MI. Just my two cents FWIW.
This is making me think it's more of "hide the ball". They were always big on promoting their pay and how you can make "partner" by year 4 at the firm. Now the firm is supposedly raising to 150k base but they haven't updated their site? it's uncharacteristic for how the firm has acted in the past. My guess is they raised the base to somewhere in the middle and then the 150 is the high end of their normal "range" which includes merit based bonus, etc. Not that everyone is motivated by money, but given the attrition they've seen over the year, as seen in this article, http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -firm-life, my guess is there are some systemic issues w/in the firm that even a raise above their normal base can't fix.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This is making me think it's more of "hide the ball". They were always big on promoting their pay and how you can make "partner" by year 4 at the firm. Now the firm is supposedly raising to 150k base but they haven't updated their site? it's uncharacteristic for how the firm has acted in the past. My guess is they raised the base to somewhere in the middle and then the 150 is the high end of their normal "range" which includes merit based bonus, etc. Not that everyone is motivated by money, but given the attrition they've seen over the year, as seen in this article, http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -firm-life, my guess is there are some systemic issues w/in the firm that even a raise above their normal base can't fix.
They've given offers for 150. The raise happened after OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any details whether this is a "range" thing. Like are they offering Wayne grads 110k, HYS (and probably M) grads 150k, and like a ND grad 130k or something? Or is it 150k for corp and maybe like 110k for Labor/Emp?

If this is the case, that'd be pretty interesting managerial-wise, but probably would start conflicts between associates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Any current associates have any information on firms other than Honigman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any details whether this is a "range" thing. Like are they offering Wayne grads 110k, HYS (and probably M) grads 150k, and like a ND grad 130k or something? Or is it 150k for corp and maybe like 110k for Labor/Emp?

If this is the case, that'd be pretty interesting managerial-wise, but probably would start conflicts between associates.
The base is 150k for all associates. The reason why there is a range on the website is because of bonuses. The reason why the range in this case starts at 110 is because for the class of 2015, the starting base salary was 110k. For the associate class of 2016, the starting base salary was 125k.
After the Cravath raises, Honigman raised to 150k for class of 2017.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The base is 150k for all associates. The reason why there is a range on the website is because of bonuses. The reason why the range in this case starts at 110 is because for the class of 2015, the starting base salary was 110k. For the associate class of 2016, the starting base salary was 125k.
After the Cravath raises, Honigman raised to 150k for class of 2017.
Cool. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Anyone know much about Jones Day Detroit? NALP says starting 160k. How are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years paid? Comparable to 20 under market, or compressed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know much about Jones Day Detroit? NALP says starting 160k. How are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years paid? Comparable to 20 under market, or compressed?
This is going to be hard to figure out. JD Detroit is a small JD office and they are Blackbox. Maybe the pay rate is comparable to Cleveland, but who knows?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know much about Jones Day Detroit? NALP says starting 160k. How are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years paid? Comparable to 20 under market, or compressed?
This is going to be hard to figure out. JD Detroit is a small JD office and they are Blackbox. Maybe the pay rate is comparable to Cleveland, but who knows?
Ok, so then what are salaries like at JD Cleveland after your first year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 pm

For anyone who still had doubts about the Honigman raise, it's now reflected on their website: http://www.honigman.com/careers-student ... efits.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok, so then what are salaries like at JD Cleveland after your first year?
I couldn't find anything after a brief search. I don't know and I feel awkward asking people I know there. Here's an ATL article on some of their compensation scales. http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/the-jig- ... black-box/

Also cool news about Honigman. Hopefully the other firms in MI open up their wallets for the poor, little associates :).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump.
Why are you bumping this? Haven't the salaries for all the firms in question been provided? Is there one you are specifically interested in that wasn't addressed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump.
Why are you bumping this? Haven't the salaries for all the firms in question been provided? Is there one you are specifically interested in that wasn't addressed?
Because the numbers provided in the second post are from what looks like fall 2015 or earlier so there is a bunch of missing data since some firms reportedly moved in response to Cravath. If you notice, the OP specifically notes that there are post movement numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who still had doubts about the Honigman raise, it's now reflected on their website: http://www.honigman.com/careers-student ... efits.html
damn that's one hell of a compression in salary/bonus range relative to the pre-raise period but I guess the raise in base is nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who still had doubts about the Honigman raise, it's now reflected on their website: http://www.honigman.com/careers-student ... efits.html
damn that's one hell of a compression in salary/bonus range relative to the pre-raise period but I guess the raise in base is nice.
Yeah the difference in base/bonus goes from being $40k to being $100k vs Chicago or New York. I wonder if those numbers will all go up by $25k though since the base went up and those are 2016 numbers when base was $125k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Does anyone have info on Detroit firm benefits?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have info on Detroit firm benefits?
Honigman lays theirs out on their website, I think many of the others do as well. Foley and Jones day will be the same as they do nation wide. I don't know of any that match 401k, but I could be wrong. Healthcare is okay, but could be better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 am

Miller Canfield matches

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Miller Canfield matches
Up to what? I've seen some firms say they match up to 4%, but that it's discretionary.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:31 am

Is the strip club scene in Detroit as great as everyone says that it is?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:23 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Is the strip club scene in Detroit as great as everyone says that it is?
Not since the booby trap burned down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”