Moral character and driving record? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moral character and driving record?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 am

Seems relevant to legal employment since it could affect my employment...Is one's driving record closely looked at by the committee on moral fitness? I have a negligent driving ticket, and a speeding ticket. I can't imagine that these would do anything, but has anyone heard of stuff like that slowing down the application/being troublesome?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Moral character and driving record?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:10 am

You will likely have to report them to the bar (the states I know of at least ask about this kind of driving history) but they're absolutely not going to care.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You will likely have to report them to the bar (the states I know of at least ask about this kind of driving history) but they're absolutely not going to care.
+1

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You will likely have to report them to the bar (the states I know of at least ask about this kind of driving history) but they're absolutely not going to care.
I think this is a little too strong. I had to go to an informal hearing with my state's director of admissions for a 4-year old speeding ticket and two non moving violations, including one that was 9 years old. I don't want to worry the op, because I am from a state with a notoriously strict C&F, but they made a big deal over mine. He said the tickets show I "habitually pick and choose which rules I think are important enough to follow."

ETA: a friend of mine disclosed something like 20 speeding tickets In another state and never heard a thing. My point isn't that it will be an issue but that some states make a big deal over weird things.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:32 am

Jay2716 wrote:
I think this is a little too strong. I had to go to an informal hearing with my state's director of admissions for a 4-year old speeding ticket and two non moving violations, including one that was 9 years old. I don't want to worry the op, because I am from a state with a notoriously strict C&F, but they made a big deal over mine. He said the tickets show I "habitually pick and choose which rules I think are important enough to follow."
Good to know. That absolutely wasn't the case in my state (I only had speeding tickets, but definitely more and more recent than that.) I'm presuming you were still admitted in the end?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 am

Jay2716 wrote:I think this is a little too strong. I had to go to an informal hearing with my state's director of admissions for a 4-year old speeding ticket and two non moving violations, including one that was 9 years old. I don't want to worry the op, because I am from a state with a notoriously strict C&F, but they made a big deal over mine. He said the tickets show I "habitually pick and choose which rules I think are important enough to follow."
Dang, that's intense. I suppose it's good know to about the opposite end of the spectrum though.

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:57 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:
Good to know. That absolutely wasn't the case in my state (I only had speeding tickets, but definitely more and more recent than that.) I'm presuming you were still admitted in the end?
Yeah, and I didn't have to do a formal hearing either. I don't think a few tickets will keep someone from getting through C&F anywhere. I do think I would have had to go to a hearing if I hadn't been contrite at my meeting. So I guess my point is more that "it won't keep you from getting licensed" isn't necessarily the same thing as "it isn't serious." At least my bar wanted to see that I took it serious.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Wow, I'd never heard of anything like that before, at least for such a small number of tickets.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:
Yeah, and I didn't have to do a formal hearing either. I don't think a few tickets will keep someone from getting through C&F anywhere. I do think I would have had to go to a hearing if I hadn't been contrite at my meeting. So I guess my point is more that "it won't keep you from getting licensed" isn't necessarily the same thing as "it isn't serious." At least my bar wanted to see that I took it serious.
Oh, I get it. Yeah, I agree, looking penitent is a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:35 pm

My state interviews everyone and they brought up my one failure to obey a stop sign that was nine years old. They were fine about it, but made clear that patterns of four or five tickets get looked at closely for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Virginia on the other hand had no interview and no follow-up questions after disclosing the same offense.

Certainly seems to vary widely state to state.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Yeah, I have had about six or seven speeding tickets over the last 9 years. Disclosed it for the bar, they did not care. It was IL

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:55 pm

I had like 15 or 20 tickets in Texas, no one cared.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Jay2716 wrote:

ETA: a friend of mine disclosed something like 20 speeding tickets In another state and never heard a thing. My point isn't that it will be an issue but that some states make a big deal over weird things.
are you in a small state? it seems like the attorney reg organization in your state is trying to make up work for itself
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:34 pm

kalvano wrote:I had like 15 or 20 tickets in Texas, no one cared.
Do you still have a drivers license?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
kalvano wrote:I had like 15 or 20 tickets in Texas, no one cared.
Do you still have a drivers license?
That was over like 12 years. I only have one on my driving record.

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Borhas wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:

are you in a small state? it seems like the attorney reg organization in your state is trying to make up work for itself
Yeah, it's a relatively small state. I know the state bar also moves for disbarment as a matter of course for a first, voluntarily disclosed DUI, despite the fact that the Supreme Court has repeatedly stated they won't disbar for a first nonfelony DUI. Maybe it is just trying to look busy.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:22 pm

[/quote]
Yeah, it's a relatively small state. I know the state bar also moves for disbarment as a matter of course for a first, voluntarily disclosed DUI, despite the fact that the Supreme Court has repeatedly stated they won't disbar for a first nonfelony DUI. Maybe it is just trying to look busy.[/quote]

That's absurd. Most states don't do anything in response to a DUI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 am

Jay2716 wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:

Yeah, it's a relatively small state. I know the state bar also moves for disbarment as a matter of course for a first, voluntarily disclosed DUI, despite the fact that the Supreme Court has repeatedly stated they won't disbar for a first nonfelony DUI. Maybe it is just trying to look busy.
Some state C&F committees take them selves way too seriously. Keep in mind that many of the lawyers that sit on those committees are disgruntled due to going to law school and passing the bar only to spend their careers reviewing moral character applications. I have experience with the CA committee that makes people laugh in amazement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Not op but do we have to disclose for NY speeding tickets not on record that are considered a mimor civil offense and does not even require the offender to sign the ticket or appear in court? My record has nothing because they don't keep it beyond 5 years. I don't think this a "better disclose now and be safe" situation because the app doesnt seem to require this type of disclosure at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:18 am

Does anyone know how Maryland treats speeding tickets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Bump for Michigan^

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”