Personal Finance 101 for Young Lawyers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Personal Finance 101 for Young Lawyers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 pm

This may be a dumb question, so please bear with me. I have had an investment account with a money manager (like UBS, Morgan Stanley, etc.) that is heavily invested in publicly traded stock. I am going to start at a large firm in the fall and I will inevitably have some conflicts. What should I do? Should I ask the firm/whom should I ask at the firm? I already talked to my account manager and he just told me he would wait to get more info from me.

pithypike

Bronze

Postby pithypike » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 pm

Check with your internal compliance guys, but if you aren't making trading decisions it shouldn't matter.

Separately, you should instead DCA into a total stock market index or VOO. Doubt your guys are beating the market after fees.......

icansortofmath

Bronze

Postby icansortofmath » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 am

You have to ask your compliance. Policies err on the side of caution always so they end up stricter than is probably necessary.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be a dumb question, so please bear with me. I have had an investment account with a money manager (like UBS, Morgan Stanley, etc.) that is heavily invested in publicly traded stock. I am going to start at a large firm in the fall and I will inevitably have some conflicts. What should I do? Should I ask the firm/whom should I ask at the firm? I already talked to my account manager and he just told me he would wait to get more info from me.

Regardless of your potential conflict issues, from a financial perspective, you shouldn't be paying anyone to manage your money, and you should just get a Vanguard account and invest in an S&P 500 index fund.

Return to “Legal Employment?