1L diversity summer associate positions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Not diversity, but i got my formal offer probably a day or 2 after my informal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an informal offer by email.

How long does it take to get a formal offer?
Congrats! If this was a firm, was it by any chance a secondary market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Less than a week. Got my call and two days later my letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It was a firm. It was Texas, unclear if that counts as a secondary market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes that is secondary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes that is secondary.
So are only NYC, Chicago, and LA "primary?" (Houston is the 4th largest city in the country.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 am

emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes that is secondary.
So are only NYC, Chicago, and LA "primary?" (Houston is the 4th largest city in the country.)
Personally have never heard of Houston being a primary legal market. DC is primary too btw. I could be wrong but I'm not sure large city = primary market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes that is secondary.
Personally have never heard of Houston being a primary legal market. DC is primary too btw. I could be wrong but I'm not sure large city = primary market
DC is definitely primary. I dont think city size is what determines whther a market is primary/secondary.

primary markets to me are: CHI, LA, SF, NY, and DC. That's it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

Accepted an offer at Mintz Levin SD last week. Very excited, and best of luck to all still searching.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:05 am

As someone who accepted a 1L diversity position this year, just wanted to encourage my fellow URMs to remember that these firms in many ways are not made for us and not necessarily as supportive of us as they may seem, so we should remember to stay woke while working.

Just heard from a 2nd year at Skadden (and had corroborated by someone who summered there last year) that a head recruiter was fired for calling a Southeast Asian associate the 'n' word and "curried pussy." After admitting to Skadden partners and HR that she'd said that, and that she used the 'n' word and other racial slurs regularly, the Skadden partners didn't even punish her until associates of color threatened to walk and tell the story to Above the Law. As if that wasn't bad eenough, apparently Skadden partners then called up their buddies at Weil to help her get a job there, where she is now a recruiter.

This story boiled my blood not only because I interviewed at both and will be working at 1 of these firms this summer, but because it's so representative of institutionalized racism that people say doesn't really exist. A person in charge of recruiting for one of the best firms in the world can be overtly racist and the only consequence is she gets moved into another position to control recruiting at another great law firm. I'm so disappointed in both Skadden and Weil and feel so jaded after hearing so many good things about both. How could Skadden not want to fire this woman on the spot? And how does Weil think it's okay to put her on their payroll?

Anyway, I was disappointed and disheartened, but figured the story should be shared in order to make sure we're all aware of what we're up against. Discrimination is very real, and Biglaw is far from being insulated against it. Fight the good fight, folks. Stay woke.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes that is secondary.
DC is definitely primary. I dont think city size is what determines whther a market is primary/secondary.

primary markets to me are: CHI, LA, SF, NY, and DC. That's it.
San Francisco is a strange inclusion to me. It is the 14th largest city in the country and 11th in terms of lawyers per capita.

It seems like your list is places you think are nice to live, not places where there is a huge market for attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who accepted a 1L diversity position this year, just wanted to encourage my fellow URMs to remember that these firms in many ways are not made for us and not necessarily as supportive of us as they may seem, so we should remember to stay woke while working.

Just heard from a 2nd year at Skadden (and had corroborated by someone who summered there last year) that a head recruiter was fired for calling a Southeast Asian associate the 'n' word and "curried pussy." After admitting to Skadden partners and HR that she'd said that, and that she used the 'n' word and other racial slurs regularly, the Skadden partners didn't even punish her until associates of color threatened to walk and tell the story to Above the Law. As if that wasn't bad eenough, apparently Skadden partners then called up their buddies at Weil to help her get a job there, where she is now a recruiter.

This story boiled my blood not only because I interviewed at both and will be working at 1 of these firms this summer, but because it's so representative of institutionalized racism that people say doesn't really exist. A person in charge of recruiting for one of the best firms in the world can be overtly racist and the only consequence is she gets moved into another position to control recruiting at another great law firm. I'm so disappointed in both Skadden and Weil and feel so jaded after hearing so many good things about both. How could Skadden not want to fire this woman on the spot? And how does Weil think it's okay to put her on their payroll?

Anyway, I was disappointed and disheartened, but figured the story should be shared in order to make sure we're all aware of what we're up against. Discrimination is very real, and Biglaw is far from being insulated against it. Fight the good fight, folks. Stay woke.
send this up to abovethelaw or something, this stuff is unacceptable and needs to be spread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:35 am

Redacted

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 am

emkay625 wrote:
San Francisco is a strange inclusion to me. It is the 14th largest city in the country and 11th in terms of lawyers per capita.

It seems like your list is places you think are nice to live, not places where there is a huge market for attorneys.
Including silicon valley? SF/SV has a huge number of biglaw regional offices (sometimes even with an office in both SF/SV). I'd wager more than any non-NYC market. Offices are often 20-50 attorneys in size though.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Including silicon valley? SF/SV has a huge number of biglaw regional offices (sometimes even with an office in both SF/SV). I'd wager more than any non-NYC market. Offices are often 20-50 attorneys in size though.
My issue was really in comparison; they refuse to include any Texas city, even though Houston is much larger had has much more lawyers per capita.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Snowflake, did you ever have a real job before? So n-words broke your heart, is this a joke?
Skadden is here to make money, not to be your Disneyland prince with white horse.
Police, attorneys, and judges curse and f-this f-fhat all the time.
Welcome to real world.

[User has been banned]

asaucyintruder

New

Post by asaucyintruder » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Snowflake, did you ever have a real job before? So n-words broke your heart, is this a joke?
Skadden is here to make money, not to be your Disneyland prince with white horse.
Welcome to real world.
Flaming someone offended by egregious racism. Great use of anon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 am

emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

My issue was really in comparison; they refuse to include any Texas city, even though Houston is much larger had has much more lawyers per capita.
Just for you, we will call Houston a primary market.

But really, it's NY, Chicago, DC

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:30 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Welcome to real world.

[User has been banned]
Sweet glorious relief!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

It's defined by both (i) in which cities do the top firms pay Cravath scale salaries and (ii) in which cities do most of the top firms have offices. While some cities (Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta) have some big law offices, they do not have many, nor do all the the offices pay market. Whereas in NYC, Chicago, DC, LA, and SF/SV, each of those cities have offices of most of the larger firms (though there are exceptions--Davis Polk does not have an LA office, SF does not have a Milbank office, etc).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who accepted a 1L diversity position this year, just wanted to encourage my fellow URMs to remember that these firms in many ways are not made for us and not necessarily as supportive of us as they may seem, so we should remember to stay woke while working.

No one in recruiting at Weil has ever worked at Skadden as far as I can find? Even if this story was true, how would you know the partners got her the new job, or that they told Weil about why she was looking for a new job? Who would admit to their boss that they used the n-word regularly even if they did, and again, how would you know? If this is true, why not call up ATL and out the person/firms instead of posting this story anonymously on a bunch of threads with no evidence? Telling people these firms condone and protect blatant racism is pretty serious, do you have anything other than claiming you heard it from someone? I'm summering at one of these firms, and I definitely wouldn't want to work for either if this is true, but give me something a little more to go on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No one in recruiting at Weil has ever worked at Skadden as far as I can find? Even if this story was true, how would you know the partners got her the new job, or that they told Weil about why she was looking for a new job? Who would admit to their boss that they used the n-word regularly even if they did, and again, how would you know? If this is true, why not call up ATL and out the person/firms instead of posting this story anonymously on a bunch of threads with no evidence? Telling people these firms condone and protect blatant racism is pretty serious, do you have anything other than claiming you heard it from someone? I'm summering at one of these firms, and I definitely wouldn't want to work for either if this is true, but give me something a little more to go on.
idk if this recruiter is still at Weil but i have also heard this story from a very reliable non-TLS source..an associate at Skadden. I highly doubt everyone is making up the exact same story. I dont think this is reflective of Skadden or Weil any more than it is reflective of biglaw as a whole. Its a lot about who you know and its not very diverse.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

It's defined by both (i) in which cities do the top firms pay Cravath scale salaries and (ii) in which cities do most of the top firms have offices. While some cities (Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta) have some big law offices, they do not have many, nor do all the the offices pay market. Whereas in NYC, Chicago, DC, LA, and SF/SV, each of those cities have offices of most of the larger firms (though there are exceptions--Davis Polk does not have an LA office, SF does not have a Milbank office, etc).
that might be a way to distinguish atlanta but market in dallas/houston is 180k across the board

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm

candidlatke wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

that might be a way to distinguish atlanta but market in dallas/houston is 180k across the board
Fair enough. I don't get why Houston/Dallas is not included then. If those firms are heavily reliant on energy work, that might be why (i.e. they're not seen as full service, industry agnostic offices).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 am

How can I set myself up for a 1L SA? I will be enrolling at a t12-t14 this fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”