1L diversity summer associate positions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L diversity summer associate positions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

Hi,

I'm a current 1L at a T14, and I've been mass applying for 1L diversity summer associate positions (note: I won't have my grades back until later this month). I was wondering if someone who has applied for and gotten (or know of people who have gotten) 1L SA positions through diversity scholarships can share some insight on whether there is a "trick," per se, to obtaining these positions.

Thanks in advance! :D
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Post by zhenders » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:33 am

No trick so far as I was able to tell; I was told that my interviewing, as well as having a pretty unique resume, were more-or-less what did it for me. Ultimately, be yourself, and practice interviewing!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 am

zhenders wrote:No trick so far as I was able to tell; I was told that my interviewing, as well as having a pretty unique resume, were more-or-less what did it for me. Ultimately, be yourself, and practice interviewing!
Thanks for the advice! No bites thus far, though. It might be because I didn't apply until after finals (aka during the holidays).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Anyone else? :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Also applied to a few, already got a no from one of the firms and told to apply next year. Is mass-mailing ok for 1L SAs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Applied to a few as well!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Quick question. I've been told that the terms "URM and diverse", while there is overlap are different for law school admissions and for employment purposes. Can anyone clear this up?
For example, I've been told that Middle-Eastern/Asian can sometimes be diverse and eligible for diversity fellowships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question. I've been told that the terms "URM and diverse", while there is overlap are different for law school admissions and for employment purposes. Can anyone clear this up?
For example, I've been told that Middle-Eastern/Asian can sometimes be diverse and eligible for diversity fellowships.
Correct. White women and LGBTQ as well.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question. I've been told that the terms "URM and diverse", while there is overlap are different for law school admissions and for employment purposes. Can anyone clear this up?
"Diversity" for law firm purposes is defined much more expansively. If in doubt, throw them an application.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:17 pm

I applied to a bunch of these. Ended up taking a different type of job, but from what I could tell, disability status counted for a lot of these diversity spots.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:13 am

current applicant, been dinged by mofo/cooley/linklaters (before getting any grades back) and still waiting on everything else

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:12 am

Hey, I was a 1L SA (through this type of initiative). The firm I went to also hired another 1L who a non-traditional with graduate degree. I spent my 2L summer at a different firm. The process is really hit or miss. It definitely helps if you have a high-level contact at the firm who can speak to the SA hiring partner about you. I applied to about 15 or 20 of the fellowships and got three interviews (and offers). Full disclosure: Solid/above avg law school grades, a non-traditional students, ties to the area that I received offers, graduate degree from an ivy, eight years of work experience, and a POC.

It's great if you can land one but don't worry about it if you cannot. You'll have better luck in OCI (assuming you have solid grades).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Screener for Skadden tomorrow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:08 pm

candidlatke wrote:current applicant, been dinged by mofo/cooley/linklaters (before getting any grades back) and still waiting on everything else
MOFO and Cooley both dinged me the same day I applied last year. They are stupid competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 am

Anyone with bad grades, get any news?
How influential is the law school you go to vs. you grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Wilson Sonsini ding, email says not accepting 1L summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 pm

I've been sending quite a few apps out. Does 3.8 and being part of an underrepresented ethnic group give me a good shot. GULC/Vandy/Texas/UCLA student.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been sending quite a few apps out. Does 3.8 and being part of an underrepresented ethnic group give me a good shot. GULC/Vandy/Texas/UCLA student.
Seems like that would be a great shot. You should work on your interviewing skills with your Career Services Office but apart from that your GPA seems solid

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 pm

OP here. Ended up applying to literally every single firm that had a 1L diversity SA option. 4 screeners and 1 CB thus far -- no grades yet. Good luck to everyone out there!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Ended up applying to literally every single firm that had a 1L diversity SA option. 4 screeners and 1 CB thus far -- no grades yet. Good luck to everyone out there!
Good luck with the CB! Mind mentioning which market or at least general size of the market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:13 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Ended up applying to literally every single firm that had a 1L diversity SA option. 4 screeners and 1 CB thus far -- no grades yet. Good luck to everyone out there!
Good luck with the CB! Mind mentioning which market or at least general size of the market?
Thanks! It's a secondary market that I have significant ties to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 pm

The trick is to be diverse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 am

Anyone apply to Weil and then get invited to a reception?

Edit: Weil Gotshal Manges not Glaser Weil

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:59 am

I got a phone call from a diversity SA in Seattle today. They're flying me over from the east coast for an interview. Very exciting and unexpected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a phone call from a diversity SA in Seattle today. They're flying me over from the east coast for an interview. Very exciting and unexpected.
Did you do a screener with the firm? Also, have your grades been released yet? What are your ties to Seattle? I'm asking because I may be in a similar (if not the same) position with a Seattle firm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”