Already in Military Reserve (Non-JAG) - Feasibility with Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Already in Military Reserve (Non-JAG) - Feasibility with Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:09 am

I did some research into this, but it looks like most questions are in regards to folks wanting to join the Reserve/Guard after they joined a firm.

Here's my situation. I have a biglaw offer in a secondary market (not NYC/SF/DC/Chicago, etc.), so we have a smaller office here. After some time in AD, I've stayed in the Reserve throughout law school. Pretty soon, I have to decide whether to extend or get out. I'd like to stay in for personal reasons (sense of duty, possibly making it to 20, security clearance, etc.).

What's the general consensus on staying in the Reserve while doing biglaw full-time? It probably doesn't help that I'm on the corporate-side of things and we have a smaller office here. And I'd hate to burden my colleagues in any way by taking some weekends off and whatnot. On the other hand, my big chunk of training is over, and there's no chance I'll be deployed. Just 1 weekend a month + 2 weeks of AT (my unit's flexible with setting up AT). Thanks for the input.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Already in Military Reserve (Non-JAG) - Feasibility with Biglaw?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did some research into this, but it looks like most questions are in regards to folks wanting to join the Reserve/Guard after they joined a firm.

Here's my situation. I have a biglaw offer in a secondary market (not NYC/SF/DC/Chicago, etc.), so we have a smaller office here. After some time in AD, I've stayed in the Reserve throughout law school. Pretty soon, I have to decide whether to extend or get out. I'd like to stay in for personal reasons (sense of duty, possibly making it to 20, security clearance, etc.).

What's the general consensus on staying in the Reserve while doing biglaw full-time? It probably doesn't help that I'm on the corporate-side of things and we have a smaller office here. And I'd hate to burden my colleagues in any way by taking some weekends off and whatnot. On the other hand, my big chunk of training is over, and there's no chance I'll be deployed. Just 1 weekend a month + 2 weeks of AT (my unit's flexible with setting up AT). Thanks for the input.
Was a reservist, did a BigLaw SA but ultimately decided to go back on active duty. So I don't have any direct experience with this, just for the sake of disclosure.

In talking to people at my SA firm, a lot of it depends on what you want to get out of the firm. Obviously, they can't fire or penalize you for being a reservist under USERRA, but it's probably going to limit your upward mobility at the firm in more subtle ways. Do you see yourself trying to stay at the firm long term and gunning for partner? Reserves might be tough bordering on impossible. Do you see yourself just doing it for a few years and then moving on to something with saner hours, like in-house? You could probably gut it out for a few years.

As an aside, will your unit let you stack drill days with AT? So maybe RST a few drills on either end of your AT period and then have a few months completely free from reserve duties? Just a thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:29 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did some research into this, but it looks like most questions are in regards to folks wanting to join the Reserve/Guard after they joined a firm.

Was a reservist, did a BigLaw SA but ultimately decided to go back on active duty. So I don't have any direct experience with this, just for the sake of disclosure.

In talking to people at my SA firm, a lot of it depends on what you want to get out of the firm. Obviously, they can't fire or penalize you for being a reservist under USERRA, but it's probably going to limit your upward mobility at the firm in more subtle ways. Do you see yourself trying to stay at the firm long term and gunning for partner? Reserves might be tough bordering on impossible. Do you see yourself just doing it for a few years and then moving on to something with saner hours, like in-house? You could probably gut it out for a few years.

As an aside, will your unit let you stack drill days with AT? So maybe RST a few drills on either end of your AT period and then have a few months completely free from reserve duties? Just a thought.
OP here. Thanks for the insight. As for gunning for partner? No way. My goal is to gain a few years of experience, then move in-house or government. So I guess it really comes down to if I can make it work for 3-5 years (which is my goal).

For stacking drill days, I have to look into this, but I presume it's doable. Thanks for the idea.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:49 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Are you Active Duty Army JAG?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Nope, former Army officer now 3L going Navy JAG

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:25 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Nope, former Army officer now 3L going Navy JAG
OP here. Just out of curiosity, what made you jump back into AD? As a vet, did you feel like the firm wasn't what you were looking for?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Just out of curiosity, what made you jump back into AD? As a vet, did you feel like the firm wasn't what you were looking for?
Large part of it was my wife's career. She's active duty, and it didn't look like she'd be able to spend the rest of her obligation in the city where my firm was. So getting colocated as an active duty couple was a big draw. Another big thing was just the hours. Even having been on deployments and lame TDYs and stuff, the military just has a much better work-life balance than BigLaw firms. I just didn't feel the "prestige" was worth the wreck it would have made of the rest of my life. I'd like to actually spend some time with my wife and friends, get some exercise, and throw the tennis ball with my dog as opposed to regularly eating Seamless delivery at my desk.

And to be clear, I actually really liked my SA firm. 99% of them seemed like decent people. Just didn't really want to live that life long term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:12 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Large part of it was my wife's career. She's active duty, and it didn't look like she'd be able to spend the rest of her obligation in the city where my firm was. So getting colocated as an active duty couple was a big draw. Another big thing was just the hours. Even having been on deployments and lame TDYs and stuff, the military just has a much better work-life balance than BigLaw firms. I just didn't feel the "prestige" was worth the wreck it would have made of the rest of my life. I'd like to actually spend some time with my wife and friends, get some exercise, and throw the tennis ball with my dog as opposed to regularly eating Seamless delivery at my desk.

And to be clear, I actually really liked my SA firm. 99% of them seemed like decent people. Just didn't really want to live that life long term.
OP here. Fair enough. I'm also considering putting in AD JAG applications. We'll see how my summer goes. QOL is definitely a big draw, along with potential exit opps to government and/or in-house.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 pm

OP, have you made a decision on staying in the Reserves or not? This post looks like it's a few months old, but if you're still on the fence I'm happy to give my 2 cents (I'm currently a reservist in biglaw in NYC).

Internationalist

New

Post by Internationalist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, have you made a decision on staying in the Reserves or not? This post looks like it's a few months old, but if you're still on the fence I'm happy to give my 2 cents (I'm currently a reservist in biglaw in NYC).
Could you PM me? Also NYC big law and thinking of signing on as a reservist but have a few questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”