First Year in Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Re: First Year in Biglaw

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon here with the 30 hours this month. I get that other stub year people have lowish hours too, but my firm is not one with a coordinated/central assigning system, or where I would only get work from one associate. It's free market, so I'm worried people just don't like working with me, or that I need to go out and introduce my self to new associates/partners. I guess I wouldn't mind but I feel like because it's free market, the owness is on me to be proactive so it doesn't look like I'm lazy or not fitting in with my low hours.
No one knows who you are yet. Maybe poke around if you feel like lining something up to ruin the holidays, but really now you should be familiarizing yourself with the office and subject matter and get ready to do good work when you get the opportunity
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm

45 hours "billed" this month so far, but 30 of that is probono/knowledge management type stuff haha

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:45 hours "billed" this month so far, but 30 of that is probono/knowledge management type stuff haha
That's not what billing means
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:45 hours "billed" this month so far, but 30 of that is probono/knowledge management type stuff haha
I think he may mean that he gets billable credit for them, per his firm's policies. Hence the quotes. May be wrong though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I hated every minute of biglaw, and I lasted 4 to 5 years. The stress and workload get worse the more senior you get.

Good luck young ones and find an exit ASAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Rising second year associate. Will certainly miss bonus. Good reviews (I guess everyone gets good reviews early, though) and billed 30 hours so far this month.

But I want out of biglaw asap, anyway, so coasting until 'the talk' sounds pretty great as far as I can tell. Is there a reason I'm wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hated every minute of biglaw, and I lasted 4 to 5 years. The stress and workload get worse the more senior you get.

Good luck young ones and find an exit ASAP.
Thank you for keeping it real. I'm about a year in now and have been working to find an exit. And I can tell that the stress and workload get much much worse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising second year associate. Will certainly miss bonus. Good reviews (I guess everyone gets good reviews early, though) and billed 30 hours so far this month.

But I want out of biglaw asap, anyway, so coasting until 'the talk' sounds pretty great as far as I can tell. Is there a reason I'm wrong?
Not really, especially if you don't have too much debt. But do you know where you want to go next?

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising second year associate. Will certainly miss bonus. Good reviews (I guess everyone gets good reviews early, though) and billed 30 hours so far this month.

I mean do you have your landing spot lined up? Might want to do that before mailing it in

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:55 pm

jd20132013 wrote:

I mean do you have your landing spot lined up? Might want to do that before mailing it in
Yeah, no, I don't. I've sent out some apps since I sort of see the writing on the wall with the low hours (though it's not "phoning it in," really -- I reach out and try to be proactive, but the whole group is pretty quiet..I still think I have the lowest hours in my year in the group though), but don't get very much bite considering how junior I am. Sort of hoping that the coasting can last a full year so I'll be more competitive for landing spots down the road. Don't intend to be fall into complete "phone it in" levels until something is actually lined up.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

Yeah, no, I don't. I've sent out some apps since I sort of see the writing on the wall with the low hours (though it's not "phoning it in," really -- I reach out and try to be proactive, but the whole group is pretty quiet..I still think I have the lowest hours in my year in the group though), but don't get very much bite considering how junior I am. Sort of hoping that the coasting can last a full year so I'll be more competitive for landing spots down the road. Don't intend to be fall into complete "phone it in" levels until something is actually lined up.

I assumed by rising second year you meant stub year
If so I highly doubt the "writing is on the wall" frommlow hours alone, although that's not to say you shouldn't move to leave if you know it isn't right for you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

I assumed by rising second year you meant stub year
If so I highly doubt the "writing is on the wall" frommlow hours alone, although that's not to say you shouldn't move to leave if you know it isn't right for you
Appreciate the advice. No, not a stub year (but only rotated into this group like 4 months ago, so kind of stub-year feeling in an administrative sense I suppose).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:22 pm

ur_hero wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
I think he may mean that he gets billable credit for them, per his firm's policies. Hence the quotes. May be wrong though.
Yes, that is what I meant.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”