First Year in Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: First Year in Biglaw

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:18 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First years who just started what have your billables been like? I feel pretty slow.

Started at the beginning of setember. Have been averaging about 16-17 hours a week.
Very typical at many offices, even throughout your entire stub year (September to December 31). Just enjoy it.
This is common advice on TLS, but just to add a contrary experience, I got reamed out at my six month review for being low on hours (was averaging ~100 per month). The partners were not happy at all and no one went to bat for me. It happens.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:20 pm

skers wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First years who just started what have your billables been like? I feel pretty slow.

Started at the beginning of setember. Have been averaging about 16-17 hours a week.
Very typical at many offices, even throughout your entire stub year (September to December 31). Just enjoy it.
Just a month ago or Sept 2016? 17 hours a week seems really, really slow. How busy is everyone else? Do you feel like you're starting to get traction?
Thanks smokey. Anon here. Sep 2017. Talked to some other people who started and it varies with some people being as slow and some people not. I've just been chilling throughout he day and the few hours I did bill often come in the evening and into the night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Technically my first year (but a second year) after a clerkship and I am extremely slow. Sometimes 6 hours a week.. sometimes less. Have reached out. Told to chill..that it's normal. I don't think its normal. Also finding out the work I was told was here/hired to do ... exists in very small quantities. If these 2-3 partners that do it leave... I'm screwed.

Saltnpeppa1

New

Post by Saltnpeppa1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:30 pm

I don't mean to sound condescending, but just relax. No one expects anything from you, and you truthfully haven't shown anybody anything substantive for them to decide you are incapable. Two partners controlling your work can be nerve wracking, but, if you can, try to diversify and get some other work streams. If you don't, it's not the end of the world.

It takes a while for the big wheels of work to finally turn enough to include you. For some practices, it's a flood or nothing. For others, it's starts to come in a steady stream. Just be patient, and the work will start coming. When it comes, work your hardest to leave a good first impression.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 am

When associates in my group (m&a) a year above me told me they did nothing their first three months I thought it was hyperbole. Holy crap they were right on a literal level. It's really weird to be at a job where you aren't actually working.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:04 am

I was told to enjoy the downtime when I could get it. One year later I understand much better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:57 am

Just as another data point, started in September, have billed 350-400 so far. V5 corp. We’ve been slammed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Started first week in september. Have about 220 hours as of 10/31.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Started last week of August, as of 10/31 I'm at around 330

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 pm

146 billable. Started oct 5

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:53 pm

WOW COOL GOOD JOB HARD WORKERS
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Danger Zone wrote:WOW COOL GOOD JOB HARD WORKERS
I took those posts more to mean that experiences may vary, and just as you shouldn’t freak out if you don’t bill 200+ per month during your stub year, you also shouldn’t expect to coast through to January 1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:03 am

Remember the old law school adage "the first year they scare you to death, the second year they work you to death ..."?

The first year of biglaw is (or I should say, might, as people, even in my relatively small office, have quite varying experiences) like 1L in the sense that the shittiest parts will be more stress-related rather than being overworked.

You will absolutely feel overworked, but that will be largely due to learning how to juggle, which in turn, creates stress.

Unlike law school, though, it never really gets better: each career phase has its own shitty aspects.

TL;DR It's a tough job. That's why they pay you the big bucks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Are vacation days use it or lose it in most NYC big law firms? We have 5 days of vacation in our stub year and it's already November 13th and I've seen maybe only one or two other first years take a day or two off so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 am

I've only billed 35 hours this month (started in September) and barely nothing the last two weeks. Should I be worried? Feel like I'm getting paid for no reason -- go into the office and sit for 8 hours and come back home. Other people in my class look busy including my office mate.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

No

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm

I started in mid September and have around 200 hours as of now. Last few weeks have been 20 or 30 hours and I had a 25 hour weekend which sucked. I would say I spend about 60% of my work day doing nothing though. Most of my hours are night and weekend work as the associate who gives me the most work is on pace to clear 3500 hours and doesn't have time for me during the day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I started in mid September and have around 200 hours as of now. Last few weeks have been 20 or 30 hours and I had a 25 hour weekend which sucked. I would say I spend about 60% of my work day doing nothing though. Most of my hours are night and weekend work as the associate who gives me the most work is on pace to clear 3500 hours and doesn't have time for me during the day.
I can relate. I basically do nothing until 4-5pm, then my workday starts.

It's pretty disheartening.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I started in mid September and have around 200 hours as of now. Last few weeks have been 20 or 30 hours and I had a 25 hour weekend which sucked. I would say I spend about 60% of my work day doing nothing though. Most of my hours are night and weekend work as the associate who gives me the most work is on pace to clear 3500 hours and doesn't have time for me during the day.

It never stops either!
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 pm

LOL 3500 hrs, has to be on suicide watch

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Mr. Peanutbutter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It never stops either!
Oh man, and I was hoping it would get better!

Being on call all the time is exhausting. How do people make plans to do something as simple as running errands?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Peanutbutter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It never stops either!
Oh man, and I was hoping it would get better!

Being on call all the time is exhausting. How do people make plans to do something as simple as running errands?
You don’t for like three years and then you either quit or just pay people to do all the stuff you can’t
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm

But in seriousness, you get a flow down and start to get good at predicting. You also learn to (very selectively) say no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Anon here with the 30 hours this month. I get that other stub year people have lowish hours too, but my firm is not one with a coordinated/central assigning system, or where I would only get work from one associate. It's free market, so I'm worried people just don't like working with me, or that I need to go out and introduce my self to new associates/partners. I guess I wouldn't mind but I feel like because it's free market, the owness is on me to be proactive so it doesn't look like I'm lazy or not fitting in with my low hours.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Is 3500 a joke?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”