AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone recently interview with EDNY or NDCA?
Interviewed with EDNY relatively recently.
Thanks. When did your app go complete? Mine went complete about a month ago.
Oh I’m not even sure. I think around January. Had first round in late March/early April.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Anybody know what to expect out of and d mass interview with the chiefs/supervisors and, separately, with the line ausas? Hypos?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Any news for anyone lately? Interested if anyone's heard from NDCA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm

It's been like two months since my interview. Soft ding? Has anyone been hired after such a long timeline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know what to expect out of and d mass interview with the chiefs/supervisors and, separately, with the line ausas? Hypos?
Any idea how long, post interview, d mass takes to call back or ding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

A friend of a friend was just interviewed at DNJ. They told her they would be moving quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of a friend was just interviewed at DNJ. They told her they would be moving quickly.
How are we defining quickly in the context of the usao? Like how soon would they get back to an applicant post first interview if they like that applicant?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's been like two months since my interview. Soft ding? Has anyone been hired after such a long timeline?
What number interview? District?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's been like two months since my interview. Soft ding? Has anyone been hired after such a long timeline?
Assuming it's a final round interview and not a major office with a demonstrated drawn out time-frame, I'd treat it as a soft ding. I was informed that some offices actually go ahead and offer the position to their finalist, negotiate if necessary, and then run whatever baseline background check is required for you to on-board while the rest of the interview pool twists in the wind. That's why positions stay open two plus months post-interview - they won't close it until the person actually on-boards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Assuming it's a final round interview and not a major office with a demonstrated drawn out time-frame, I'd treat it as a soft ding. I was informed that some offices actually go ahead and offer the position to their finalist, negotiate if necessary, and then run whatever baseline background check is required for you to on-board while the rest of the interview pool twists in the wind. That's why positions stay open two plus months post-interview - they won't close it until the person actually on-boards.
If you’re not getting dinged, how quickly does one hear about subsequent rounds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am

It varies - some people (mostly applying to fancy big offices) have reported very long turnaround times and getting to the next round after months. My experience was very different - I heard within a week to 2 weeks max about whether I was moving on. (But that’s based on a pool of 2 offices.)

I think it depends somewhat on how the office hires. If, like many offices, it hires only to replace people who’ve left or when it gets a new position based on workload/volume, it will try to move quickly because everyone else is overworked until the new people come on board (and the background check always takes a while), so they want bodies in the office fast. If it’s an office (like SDNY I think) that takes applications at any time, so not based purely on office need, I think the process goes much more slowly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It varies - some people (mostly applying to fancy big offices) have reported very long turnaround times and getting to the next round after months. My experience was very different - I heard within a week to 2 weeks max about whether I was moving on. (But that’s based on a pool of 2 offices.)

I think it depends somewhat on how the office hires. If, like many offices, it hires only to replace people who’ve left or when it gets a new position based on workload/volume, it will try to move quickly because everyone else is overworked until the new people come on board (and the background check always takes a while), so they want bodies in the office fast. If it’s an office (like SDNY I think) that takes applications at any time, so not based purely on office need, I think the process goes much more slowly.
I heard a rumor that there’s a ton of DOJ, and by extension AUSA, hiring going in right now. Accurate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, final round interview. Thanks for this transparency. Disappointing but I have a few more interviews at different offices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It varies - some people (mostly applying to fancy big offices) have reported very long turnaround times and getting to the next round after months. My experience was very different - I heard within a week to 2 weeks max about whether I was moving on. (But that’s based on a pool of 2 offices.)

I heard a rumor that there’s a ton of DOJ, and by extension AUSA, hiring going in right now. Accurate?
There have been a bunch of new AUSA positions created to address immigration and violent crime, so yeah, there are a decent number of openings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There have been a bunch of new AUSA positions created to address immigration and violent crime, so yeah, there are a decent number of openings.
Any idea how many people first round interview per open spot at the larger districts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Honestly, no. I want to say something like 15-20, but that's just a guess. Rounds also vary by office - one office went app --> request for writing sample --> first round interview --> second/final round interview; another went app --> first round interview --> second/final interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, no. I want to say something like 15-20, but that's just a guess. Rounds also vary by office - one office went app --> request for writing sample --> first round interview --> second/final round interview; another went app --> first round interview --> second/final interview.
How many weeks/months passed between first and second interview for you at those spots?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, no. I want to say something like 15-20, but that's just a guess. Rounds also vary by office - one office went app --> request for writing sample --> first round interview --> second/final round interview; another went app --> first round interview --> second/final interview.
How many weeks/months passed between first and second interview for you at those spots?
About a week? It was pretty quick (to be clear, for the first one I was cut after the first interview, but checking my e-mail, I heard about that 8 days after the interview). I know the office wanted to move quickly (probably because the hiring freeze was rumored), so it may have been unusually efficient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 am

How are we defining quickly in the context of the usao? Like how soon would they get back to an applicant post first interview if they like that applicant?
DNJ anon here. That particular office had a reputation of moving very slowly with, shall we say, somewhat inconsistent communication to applicants. I know somebody who completed three rounds of interviews over the course of a year and a half, only to be told that the office was no longer hiring--and even as a friend of his was extended an offer.

So "quickly" probably means "three months before hearing back."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm currently looking to lateral and have applied to USAOs and DOJ litigation positions. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better career wise? Do people hop between both in no particular order? Just curious as I've not heard much on it. My understanding is that a position at the DOJ will be more specialized while AUSA positions will be more general. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DNJ anon here. That particular office had a reputation of moving very slowly with, shall we say, somewhat inconsistent communication to applicants. I know somebody who completed three rounds of interviews over the course of a year and a half, only to be told that the office was no longer hiring--and even as a friend of his was extended an offer.

So "quickly" probably means "three months before hearing back."
Interestingly enough, DNJ was the fastest USAO to get back to me... with a ding. At least they didn't keep me waiting in the wind. I appreciate that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Recently had two panel interviews in a row at a relatively competitive district. Fedclerk (same district) plus several years as an ada.

No word, now, two weeks out.

At what point do I assume ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news for anyone lately? Interested if anyone's heard from NDCA.
Friend of mine just got hired by NDCA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Anybody care to share where they’re at in the process with d mass or d nh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news for anyone lately? Interested if anyone's heard from NDCA.
Friend of mine just got hired by NDCA.
Thanks for the info. When did he or she apply? Timeline? Civil or criminal?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”