AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious as to the stats of those of us who made it to second/third rounds. I wasn’t thinking of sharing anything too specific. Just law school range/above or below median/public or private background. Is this a good idea or not recommended? Happy to share if the former and if others on board.
I’d be happy to PM you my stats if you post with your username.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious as to the stats of those of us who made it to second/third rounds. I wasn’t thinking of sharing anything too specific. Just law school range/above or below median/public or private background. Is this a good idea or not recommended? Happy to share if the former and if others on board.
I made it to 4 different second/third rounds, all in prominent locations (but not SDNY/DC/Main). T10; cum laude (~30%); DCt/CoA clerkships in non-flyover cities (but not interview cities); 4 years v25 biglaw lit/white collar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anything new from DDC or any info on timing between final interview and offer?
Any info on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Anybody hear anything from the Northern District of New York?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Got a first interview for EDPA. Anyone know what to expect?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Bump for CDCA news

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any info on hiring for the Superior Court division for D.C.? Have my second round interview coming up and want to know where it goes from there.
In my case, a wait of 6 weeks until a request for a third interview, and then a third interview the same week as the request. Still waiting on a final answer.

Very interested in the typical wait time between a third interview and an offer, if anyone knows.
Interesting. Seems like the timeline is arbitrary. I received my invitation for a third round interview after a week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any info on hiring for the Superior Court division for D.C.? Have my second round interview coming up and want to know where it goes from there.
In my case, a wait of 6 weeks until a request for a third interview, and then a third interview the same week as the request. Still waiting on a final answer.

Very interested in the typical wait time between a third interview and an offer, if anyone knows.
Interesting. Seems like the timeline is arbitrary. I received my invitation for a third round interview after a week.
Have you had the third interview yet? If so, any offer or ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Haven't had it yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Haven't had it yet
Thanks. I’m still waiting to hear back either way...I’m interested to know how it goes for you. I wish I knew how long to keep hope alive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:38 pm

I had my D DC first and second round interviews a few weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. DC appears to have reposted the Superior Court. It says, however, that the deadline is now 10/31. Should I be concerned?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had my D DC first and second round interviews a few weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. DC appears to have reposted the Superior Court. It says, however, that the deadline is now 10/31. Should I be concerned?
I don’t think that’s a cause for worry. Apparently they lose about 10% of their AUSAs every year, meaning they’re extending at least three dozen or so offers a year. It’s not like they’re hiring for a single spot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 am

What are exit options for D.C. Superior Court AUSAs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are exit options for D.C. Superior Court AUSAs?
That probably depends on if you ever end up in the federal side and/or how much federal experience you get.

Do you have an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 pm

How do salary discussions usually go? Do they try to get you to say what you'd be willing to take, or is it more like "We'll bring you in with X years of experience and pay you Y"? And do they only discuss this while making an offer? I imagine it's probably different office to office, but any experience would be helpful. This is me thinking very optimistically, of course, but I want to be ready if it happens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do salary discussions usually go? Do they try to get you to say what you'd be willing to take, or is it more like "We'll bring you in with X years of experience and pay you Y"? And do they only discuss this while making an offer? I imagine it's probably different office to office, but any experience would be helpful. This is me thinking very optimistically, of course, but I want to be ready if it happens.
IME it's not really that much of a discussion. You're pretty much paid what your years of experience determine you'll be paid - your years of experience determine your grade on the payscale, and they are what they are, they can't be negotiated (unlike with firms where you can go down a class year or get another year of credit). It mayyyyyy be possible to negotiate what percentile you'll start at on a given grade (for new AUSAs the range is theoretically from the bottom of the grade to the 75th percentile), but IME that has been pretty much set by the office and everyone starts at the 25th percentile of the given grade.

But TBF it may be that I just missed out by taking how they presented the salary at fair value. It was very much NOT ever presented as an actual offer that could really be negotiated. Please report back and let us all know if there is more room for bargaining!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:55 pm

In the case of an experienced ADA or JAG applying, will interviews likely test their knowledge of prosecuting crimes in federal court and the jurisdictional differences? Or is that presumed to be something picked up quickly if the applicant has enough trial experience?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:In the case of an experienced ADA or JAG applying, will interviews likely test their knowledge of prosecuting crimes in federal court and the jurisdictional differences? Or is that presumed to be something picked up quickly if the applicant has enough trial experience?
I can't say I've been in that position, but I'd be surprised if they went into that in any detail in an interview. I would think that as long as you're aware that the federal system will be different and that you'll have to learn the differences, you'd be fine. I've had a number of conversations with people about ADA/JAGs having to learn how federal court works, I think it's understood you have to learn it on the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the case of an experienced ADA or JAG applying, will interviews likely test their knowledge of prosecuting crimes in federal court and the jurisdictional differences? Or is that presumed to be something picked up quickly if the applicant has enough trial experience?

They will not. I'm a ADA with 5+ years of experience who just got an offer. The questions were mostly general, and not about specific laws. They just want to see if you are fast on your feet and ethical.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They will not. I'm a ADA with 5+ years of experience who just got an offer. The questions were mostly general, and not about specific laws. They just want to see if you are fast on your feet and ethical.
How long did it take for you to receive your offer after the final interview? And what kind of office (big/small? flyover, SDNY/DDC/EDVA), if you don’t mind me asking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long did it take for you to receive your offer after the final interview? And what kind of office (big/small? flyover, SDNY/DDC/EDVA), if you don’t mind me asking?
It took three days to receive the offer. After the interview, they said they would have a decision within two weeks. It's a big office out west.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 am

Had a final round interview recently for an AUSA gig. The day after the interview they called my references and asked one reference if they would be willing to do a background investigation for me and sent that person forms to complete. Has anyone encountered a reference being asked to do background investigation work before you even received an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a final round interview recently for an AUSA gig. The day after the interview they called my references and asked one reference if they would be willing to do a background investigation for me and sent that person forms to complete. Has anyone encountered a reference being asked to do background investigation work before you even received an offer?
Is this a big east coast office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a final round interview recently for an AUSA gig. The day after the interview they called my references and asked one reference if they would be willing to do a background investigation for me and sent that person forms to complete. Has anyone encountered a reference being asked to do background investigation work before you even received an offer?
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes.
DDC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”