AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm

I am clerking and applying for DOJ Honors right now. Considering the possibility of reaching out to non-DOJ Honors USAOs and asking them if they'll look at my application now to start next fall. Wondering if anyone has seen any success with this-- my sense is that it would be a non-starter because of the delay involved, but also feel like it's worth a shot.

FWIW, top 10 law school candidate with USDC & COA clerkships. Law review, moot court, 4 years experience before law school managing lots of people, billions of dollars worth of assets, etc. That is all to point out that I have the bona fides to handle the pressure, even though my work experience isn't legal

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 pm

I am fairly certain that without legal experience (not clerkships) there will very few, if any, USAOs that will consider you. I interviewed in 10+ offices and at least got that impression (and the openings explicitly say so)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm

So, the delay may or may not matter that much, given that you’d need to complete the background check anyway. But if the offices you’re considering currently have any open positions, they will most likely want to fill them before a year from now, and most offices I know don’t consider applications if they don’t have a current opening (I know a few of the biggest/fanciest offices, like SDNY and CDCA, tend to have an open hiring call on their website, but most don’t). If the office does take rolling applications I don’t think there’s much harm in putting an application in now, although they might wonder why you didn’t wait until abt least a little closer to when you could start.

Probably the biggest obstacle will be years of experience - most offices don’t take applicants straight out of clerkships (unless they participate in the honors program, in which case you’re already covered). The vast majority of posted positions require a minimum of 3 years post-JD litigation experience (clerking does count, but not sure if 3 years of clerking will be as competitive as clerking + work).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Bumping this up. Especially interested in any movement from ddc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this up. Especially interested in any movement from ddc.

Same. When did you interview with DDC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this up. Especially interested in any movement from ddc.

Same. When did you interview with DDC?
Second round within the last three weeks. You?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Bump for CDCA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for CDCA
Same. Also does CDCA have a commitment?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am

Any info on hiring for the Superior Court division for D.C.? Have my second round interview coming up and want to know where it goes from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump for CDCA
Same. Also does CDCA have a commitment?
I'm not sure how formal it is but in my interview they did say 3 or 4 year commitment. I wasn't paying as much attention just because I'll be there much longer (hopefully).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:35 pm

For CDCA, I've also heard 3 year commitment.

How long ago did you interview and any intel on what's going on with hiring? I interviewed about a month ago and have heard nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm

As the most recent anon that answered, I got an offer months ago so it’s not likely relevant. I think I got mine about a month after interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As the most recent anon that answered, I got an offer months ago so it’s not likely relevant. I think I got mine about a month after interview.
Thanks. Did they contact all your references and/or current employer before your offer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As the most recent anon that answered, I got an offer months ago so it’s not likely relevant. I think I got mine about a month after interview.
Thanks. Did they contact all your references and/or current employer before your offer?
References, yes - extensively by phone. They did not technically contact my current employer until just before security clearance papers went in (but I was clerking and one of my references was current judge, so, yea).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on hiring for the Superior Court division for D.C.? Have my second round interview coming up and want to know where it goes from there.
In my case, a wait of 6 weeks until a request for a third interview, and then a third interview the same week as the request. Still waiting on a final answer.

Very interested in the typical wait time between a third interview and an offer, if anyone knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any info on hiring for the Superior Court division for D.C.? Have my second round interview coming up and want to know where it goes from there.
In my case, a wait of 6 weeks until a request for a third interview, and then a third interview the same week as the request. Still waiting on a final answer.

Very interested in the typical wait time between a third interview and an offer, if anyone knows.
How long has it been since your third round interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long has it been since your third round interview?
Don’t want to give too much information, but less than a month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
References, yes - extensively by phone. They did not technically contact my current employer until just before security clearance papers went in (but I was clerking and one of my references was current judge, so, yea).

Anyone know if CDCA has given out any offers in the most recent round of postings?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone know if CDCA has given out any offers in the most recent round of postings?
Yes. I also know someone that recently declined a final round interview, so there should be more movement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:28 am

Do USAOs contact current supervisor after receiving an offer ? Reference checks after accepting offer ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. I also know someone that recently declined a final round interview, so there should be more movement.
About how long ago did the offer go out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do USAOs contact current supervisor after receiving an offer ? Reference checks after accepting offer ?
I’ve seen it done both ways actually. Sometimes they call first and sometimes they call after.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

Anyone that had a current SF86 background investigation have to do another one for USAO?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:47 am

Anything new from DDC or any info on timing between final interview and offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Curious as to the stats of those of us who made it to second/third rounds. I wasn’t thinking of sharing anything too specific. Just law school range/above or below median/public or private background. Is this a good idea or not recommended? Happy to share if the former and if others on board.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”