Hiring Freezes?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zot1

Gold

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:49 pm

andythefir wrote:
zot1 wrote:If an agency finalizes your offer prior to the new administration, you're golden. If not, I'd keep my options open.
Can you also define "finalize" here? Post-offer letter but pre-start date, for example?
After a candidate gets a tentative offer, the candidate needs to do certain things (like passing the background check). Once you fulfill all the requirements from HR, they usually send you a notification confirming the offer, start date, and salary.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:04 pm

zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:If an agency finalizes your offer prior to the new administration, you're golden. If not, I'd keep my options open.

What's your basis for believing this? Especially given the Reagan precedent.
If the offer is finalized, it is harder for the agency to take it back.

If the offer is not finalized, I would be worried because a Trump administration is hard to predict. You can have all the precedent you want, but as you see, Trump doesn't run on precedent.
The precedent from Reagan is that offers were RESCINDED

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:

If the offer is not finalized, I would be worried because a Trump administration is hard to predict. You can have all the precedent you want, but as you see, Trump doesn't run on precedent.
I understand that. But I would be more concerned about getting hired then for a reduction in force to happen. This is what I've always tought Trump would do. But I also didn't think he would elected so about that.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:18 pm

zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:

I understand that. But I would be more concerned about getting hired then for a reduction in force to happen. This is what I've always tought Trump would do. But I also didn't think he would elected so about that.
No offense, but that's why I asked. "You're golden" is pretty hollow advice if the rationale for it is "I dunno. Trump?"

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:22 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:

No offense, but that's why I asked. "You're golden" is pretty hollow advice if the rationale for it is "I dunno. Trump?"
I'm not offended. Golden for final offers is still my thought on this. Would be concerned about what happens to those who don't have a final offer since it can be more likely rescinded. If you're not happy with this, well, you can just ignore it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:57 pm

What is the effect of the new CR providing funding through April? Would a hiring freeze mean the agency would just sit on the funds?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:20 pm

The CR provides funding through April. HP attorneys won't start until the fall.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:29 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:31 pm

No. I didn't say that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:32 pm

zot1 wrote:The CR provides funding through April. HP attorneys won't start until the fall.
Right, but what is the effect of the new CR on those of us not in the HP pipeline? DOJ keeps advertising new AUSA positions.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 pm

andythefir wrote:
zot1 wrote:The CR provides funding through April. HP attorneys won't start until the fall.
Right, but what is the effect of the new CR on those of us not in the HP pipeline? DOJ keeps advertising new AUSA positions.
I don't work for DOJ so I can't talk specific to them. I would also venture to say that HP funding is different than actual positions depending on the agency. Really there are too many factors to know.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:51 pm

zot1 wrote:
andythefir wrote:
I don't work for DOJ so I can't talk specific to them. I would also venture to say that HP funding is different than actual positions depending on the agency. Really there are too many factors to know.
Zot, are you an attorney? If so, are you working in government?

Again, no offense, I'm trying to find some basis to begin to piece together just how much you're talking out of your ass.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
andythefir wrote:

Again, no offense, I'm trying to find some basis to begin to piece together just how much you're talking out of your ass.
You're right. I'm talking out of my ass. It's what I do. Good luck with your application process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 pm

wrong anon

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:08 pm

zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
andythefir wrote:

You're right. I'm talking out of my ass. It's what I do. Good luck with your application process.
My application process is over. According to you, I shouldn't be worried because I'm "golden." That misinformation from you really irks me because it seems you frankly have no idea.

If at the end you're just going to say "Hey I know I weighed in with a completely definite answer that people are uncertain about. Don't worry though brah, I just KNOW," cool, but it's a little frustrating to pull teeth to get you to do it. At least say if you're in government, are an attorney, or have any real knowledge of hiring practices beyond what we can get from a google search.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:11 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
andythefir wrote:

My application process is over. According to you, I shouldn't be worried because I'm "golden." That misinformation from you really irks me because it seems you frankly have no idea.

If at the end you're just going to say "Hey I know I weighed in with a completely definite answer that people are uncertain about. Don't worry though brah, I just KNOW," cool, but it's a little frustrating to pull teeth to get you to do it. At least say if you're in government, are an attorney, or have any real knowledge of hiring practices beyond what we can get from a google search.
I hope you're going to DOJ.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:13 pm

zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
andythefir wrote:

I hope you're going to DOJ.
Lol. Ok then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm

I am a federal government attorney, and I do hiring for my agency, in addition to personnel work. I'm sorry your future is so uncertain. I wish I could help you but I can't. Again, wish you the best of luck.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:24 pm

zot1 wrote:I am a federal government attorney, and I do hiring for my agency, in addition to personnel work. I'm sorry your future is so uncertain. I wish I could help you but I can't. Again, wish you the best of luck.
Within your agency, as far as you feel comfortable commenting, what would happen to folks who have already been offered and accepted a non-final job offer given the funding for said job is already there?

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 pm

zot1 wrote:I am a federal government attorney, and I do hiring for my agency, in addition to personnel work. I'm sorry your future is so uncertain. I wish I could help you but I can't. Again, wish you the best of luck.

That sounds like a reasonable basis (for the third time, not trying to be offensive). Thanks for clarifying and the well wishes. Best of luck to your agency as well.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:27 pm

andythefir wrote:
Within your agency, as far as you feel comfortable commenting, what would happen to folks who have already been offered and accepted a non-final job offer given the funding for said job is already there?
PM you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 pm

zot1 wrote:
andythefir wrote:
PM you.
Could you do the same for me? Interested as well. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:07 pm

andythefir wrote:
I would strongly doubt that any hiring freeze would apply to criminal AUSAs. Trump has said there would be exceptions for positions related to public safety/health, and criminal AUSAs have historically fallen under that exception (and are always essential personnel when there's a government shutdown). Civil AUSAs might be out of luck though.

I can't comment on the rest of DOJ or the other agencies, except to say that I was hired under the HP during a hiring freeze, so I would be surprised if any new freeze interfered with the HP.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 pm

I know this is going to sound super lawyer-y, but I feel like it depends on what the meaning of "hired" is. If it's "has started work," that's very different from "an offer has been extended and accepted and the various background stuff concluded and a start date designated." I honestly don't know what the legal meaning is in this context (or what Trump thinks it is).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”