Hiring Freezes?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:11 pm

On the other hand, I know a guy who was hired at an USAO who was given one day's notice to quit his job and start so he could get in before 2/22, because the office was so unsure as to what would happen otherwise. So who knows.
Anonymous User wrote:I was told by HR that they don't know when the decision is coming, but the feeling is that criminal prosecutors will be exempted for public safety reasons. The entire criminal division of DOJ has applied together for an exemption for hires and the hope/expectation is that they will just get a blanket approval, rather than actually going case by case through each hire.
Anonymous User wrote:Any updates from folks? Still radio silence from my agency : ( (offer pre Jan 22)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates from folks? Still radio silence from my agency : ( (offer pre Jan 22)
I was told "not to worry" about my honors offer at a national security type agency. Nothing definitive, but it eased the worry a little.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told by HR that they don't know when the decision is coming, but the feeling is that criminal prosecutors will be exempted for public safety reasons. The entire criminal division of DOJ has applied together for an exemption for hires and the hope/expectation is that they will just get a blanket approval, rather than actually going case by case through each hire.
Just echoing to say that I have also heard exactly this from folks connected to the criminal division. I also know of an AUSA offeree (offer pre jan 22, but start date still TBD) who has been told by his office that they don't think he should worry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Has anyone heard from hiring contacts at a non-criminal DOJ component (re: Honors program and freeze)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the other hand, I know a guy who was hired at an USAO who was given one day's notice to quit his job and start so he could get in before 2/22, because the office was so unsure as to what would happen otherwise. So who knows.
Confirmed. This happened to me.

Sworn in as a criminal division AUSA right under the wire on Feb. 22.

Thankfully my then-current employer (state prosecutor) was very understanding, given how difficult a job like this was to get, and so were my colleagues who will have to pick up my slack until a replacement comes online. I managed to extract myself without burning any bridges.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 am

Buddy of mine starts as an AUSA in 2 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Post in the DOJ Honors FB group:
My career services office just emailed saying we got the exemption from the hiring freeze. Not clear whether this is for all Honors hires, or just the division that hired me (Environment and Natural Resources). Email from DOJ anticipated soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Any indication of whether the exemption grant applies only to the honors program or whether an exemption was granted for criminal AUSAs as well? Thanks.

Somewhat relatedly, Politico is reporting that the new budget will include an increase for DOJ.

gglas001

New

Post by gglas001 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Post in the DOJ Honors FB group:
My career services office just emailed saying we got the exemption from the hiring freeze. Not clear whether this is for all Honors hires, or just the division that hired me (Environment and Natural Resources). Email from DOJ anticipated soon.
Stop playing games with my heart and give me a source.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:28 pm

ATR sent out that email to all hirees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm

I just received an email saying "We are pleased to announce that existing offers already made under 2016-2017 [DOJ] Honors Program will be honored." :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am

For those of you who have gotten through at DOJ Criminal Division, how long did your background check take? I'm 6 weeks in and none of my folks have been contacted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have gotten through at DOJ Criminal Division, how long did your background check take? I'm 6 weeks in and none of my folks have been contacted.
Very similar timing and in the same boat, also very curious about this. I know it can vary but would really like to just know generally whether I might be starting in April or, like, October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have gotten through at DOJ Criminal Division, how long did your background check take? I'm 6 weeks in and none of my folks have been contacted.
Anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. "Your folks" may not get contacted for the USAO check, but certainly will for the FBI check. Don't wait for the calls to your references, wait for the drug test to know you're on the road.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. "Your folks" may not get contacted for the USAO check, but certainly will for the FBI check. Don't wait for the calls to your references, wait for the drug test to know you're on the road.
What does the drug test signify? That we passed the USAO check?

I have DOJ tax offer, and they had me take a drug test in early February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm

DOJ EOIR is exempt from the hiring freeze. I'm willing to bet AUSAs will be as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:13 pm

Official word is criminal AUSAs are exempt as public safety positions. It's Miller time boys and girls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Official word is criminal AUSAs are exempt as public safety positions. It's Miller time boys and girls.
Are you able to provide any further information? Does this mean that USAOs could not only honor pending offers but also extend new ones?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Official word is criminal AUSAs are exempt as public safety positions. It's Miller time boys and girls.
Are you able to provide any further information? Does this mean that USAOs could not only honor pending offers but also extend new ones?
Different anon but Yes, or at least that's what my office suggested. I can't remember exactly how the USA phrased it so I'm not sure if that was express guidance, or if that was their interpretation of what they could push for under the guidance they did get. But if my USA interpreted it as making it possible to hire new AUSAs I'm sure others will too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:30 pm

^Some contrary evidence here in a [semi-automated] e-mail I just got from DOJ, but not sure this means anything.
R - Referred
Thank you for submitting your resume for a position as an Assistant United States Attorney in our Criminal Division. An initial review of your documents found you qualified for the position. Due to the current budget situation within the Department of Justice, we are delaying the scheduling of interviews. Your resume will be kept on file for 120 days. If we are able to resume hiring and you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by our office.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^Some contrary evidence here in a [semi-automated] e-mail I just got from DOJ, but not sure this means anything.
R - Referred
Thank you for submitting your resume for a position as an Assistant United States Attorney in our Criminal Division. An initial review of your documents found you qualified for the position. Due to the current budget situation within the Department of Justice, we are delaying the scheduling of interviews. Your resume will be kept on file for 120 days. If we are able to resume hiring and you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by our office.
Not contrary evidence, that's the difference between declining to hire someone out of uncertainty over the budget and freezing a hire that was in process. Even those who survived the freeze aren't out of the woods: the agencies still might get a cut to funding for next year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^Some contrary evidence here in a [semi-automated] e-mail I just got from DOJ, but not sure this means anything.
R - Referred
OTOH, the Central District of Illinois just posted an opening for a criminal AUSA: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/465031800/

(Did not actually know Illinois had a central district till now.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 am

VA will be asking for an exemption for non-public health staff. I presume that includes attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Bump. Also in same boat; about 5 weeks into background check. Anyone know from their friends etc in what week of background check to expect drug test and what that means (ie is that the last step before we can get a start date?)?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What does the drug test signify? That we passed the USAO check?

I have DOJ tax offer, and they had me take a drug test in early February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:48 am

andythefir wrote:
R - Referred
Not contrary evidence, that's the difference between declining to hire someone out of uncertainty over the budget and freezing a hire that was in process. Even those who survived the freeze aren't out of the woods: the agencies still might get a cut to funding for next year.
Have basically heard the same. Was told, albeit in uncertain terms, that many offices anticipate very little hiring in 2017. Even if exempt from the freeze as it appears, they anticipate some budget issues (there are some articles stating as much) and may not be hiring many until 2018. Grains of salt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”