Hiring Freezes?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Alt123

New

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Post by Alt123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:05 pm

How long is this supposed to last? Isn't it only 90 days? Just had someone tell me it's likely to affect 2017 honors hiring in the fall, and want to be sure. Still confused after reading up on it.

bb9916

New

Post by bb9916 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Alt123 wrote:How long is this supposed to last? Isn't it only 90 days? Just had someone tell me it's likely to affect 2017 honors hiring in the fall, and want to be sure. Still confused after reading up on it.
I think it depends on whatever OMB's "plan" is post-freeze. There may be continued freezes for certain agencies. I don't think anyone knows anything concrete yet. Who told you it would affect 2017 fall hiring?

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:15 pm

bb9916 wrote:
Alt123 wrote:How long is this supposed to last? Isn't it only 90 days? Just had someone tell me it's likely to affect 2017 honors hiring in the fall, and want to be sure. Still confused after reading up on it.
I think it depends on whatever OMB's "plan" is post-freeze. There may be continued freezes for certain agencies. I don't think anyone knows anything concrete yet. Who told you it would affect 2017 fall hiring?
School advisor said she thinks its unlikely federal tax jobs will be available later this year based on people she knows in those agencies

bb9916

New

Post by bb9916 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Alt123 wrote:
bb9916 wrote:
School advisor said she thinks its unlikely federal tax jobs will be available later this year based on people she knows in those agencies
IRS Honors was supposed to have received exemptions from the freeze. Was your advisor referring to those positions or "tax jobs" in general?

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm

I think there's a good chance the OMB doesn't have the "plan to reduce the federal work force" prepared by the 90 day deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm

bb9916 wrote:
Alt123 wrote:
bb9916 wrote:
IRS Honors was supposed to have received exemptions from the freeze. Was your advisor referring to those positions or "tax jobs" in general?
I was asking her about IRS honors and DOJ honors for criminal tax.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 pm

bb9916 wrote:
Alt123 wrote:
bb9916 wrote:
Exemptions for people hired to start in 2017 isn't the same as exemptions for holding a new round of hiring in 2017.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 am

I get the vibe that most USAOs are operating as if they were on a hiring freeze, due to the uncertainty over the budget, USA resignations, and so on. I see jobs posted on the USAO website, but waaaay fewer than I'm used to. I'd also intuit that there would be at least some folks heading out of the offices, too, in anticipation of getting staffed on immigration. Can anyone confirm?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 am

"This order shall expire upon implementation of the OMB plan."

Agencies are still operating under a CR. We don't know when a new budget will be passed. We won't know how OMB's plan will affect hiring. No agency should know with certainty if they'll have an honors program next year because no one knows anything still.

Fun times, guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 am

andythefir wrote:I get the vibe that most USAOs are operating as if they were on a hiring freeze, due to the uncertainty over the budget, USA resignations, and so on. I see jobs posted on the USAO website, but waaaay fewer than I'm used to. I'd also intuit that there would be at least some folks heading out of the offices, too, in anticipation of getting staffed on immigration. Can anyone confirm?
Re: immigation - the irony is that the stepped-up enforcement by Trump actually means deportation of people who aren't amenable to criminal prosecution (i.e. they don't have criminal histories, they don't have prior deportations), so it isn't resulting (so far) in a flood of new criminal prosecutions. Getting all those promised Border Patrol agents into place will make a difference, but people in those offices already do plenty of immigration stuff. So I'm not sure that there are a lot of people leaving in anticipation of getting staffed on immigration. Where I think the immigration policy changes would be tougher would be in EOIR and the like, for people who deal with the actual civil/deportation side.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am

But if you define amenable to prosecution as anyone who makes out the prima facie you can get eye popping conviction numbers. As a DA, you can carry 50 simple cases for 1 white collar. I'd assume the infinitely more complex federal white collar is even more stark. It would be good politics to max out your conviction numbers, but I'd guess a lot of current AUSAs wouldn't go along.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 am

Someone who doesn't have a previous deport has only committed a misdemeanor, which it's a waste of resources to prosecute, and even if someone has a prior deport, if they don't have any criminal history it's a tiny tiny sentence, again not really worth prosecuting. (And most people without criminal history won't have prior deports.) I really think the USAOs and the immigration courts are in different situations here.

And for border districts, they've already got as many of these cases as they can handle. "Maxing out your conviction numbers" doesn't mean quite the same thing when you're already picking and choosing from a firehose of identical offenders and can choose to take only slam dunk cases.

(Also I get that the powers that be care about numbers in a way that I don't have to deal with, but neither office I've worked for has ever said anything to me about numbers or maxing out convictions. That has never been expressed as a concern to me in any way.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:I get the vibe that most USAOs are operating as if they were on a hiring freeze, due to the uncertainty over the budget, USA resignations, and so on. I see jobs posted on the USAO website, but waaaay fewer than I'm used to. I'd also intuit that there would be at least some folks heading out of the offices, too, in anticipation of getting staffed on immigration. Can anyone confirm?
Re: immigation - the irony is that the stepped-up enforcement by Trump actually means deportation of people who aren't amenable to criminal prosecution (i.e. they don't have criminal histories, they don't have prior deportations), so it isn't resulting (so far) in a flood of new criminal prosecutions. Getting all those promised Border Patrol agents into place will make a difference, but people in those offices already do plenty of immigration stuff. So I'm not sure that there are a lot of people leaving in anticipation of getting staffed on immigration. Where I think the immigration policy changes would be tougher would be in EOIR and the like, for people who deal with the actual civil/deportation side.
This may be the case but in multiple border districts they have been asked how many more criminal AUSAs they need to double the immigration prosecutions straight up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:20 am

Sure, I can totally see that. I just don't think that's going to lead people to leave their offices, since those offices already do immigration stuff, and I would imagine this is going to be an increase in the kinds of prosecutions they already do - catching people as they cross the border - rather than a serious change in priorities (there are plenty of people with prior deports/criminal history coming across to prosecute). I could well be wrong - we'll have to see what happens - but while I think the volume in border districts will go up, I don't think the nature of the cases prosecuted will change radically, so I don't see people leaving en masse to avoid getting staffed on immigration. (That was really what I was addressing, not the idea that there will be more immigration prosecutions - I agree once the BP agents are in place, that's going to happen. Also because I don't think I've really met anyone who intends to leave the job in anticipation of changes. If intolerable changes *do* get put in place, sure, but I don't think there's going to be a mass exodus of line AUSAs.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:32 am

Yea I totally agree with all of that, actually. Was just throwing that piece of info out. I do think they will underestimate the numbers required and people might be pretty overburdened, but leave? No. And absolutely true that in, say, Arizona, they're already doing tons of that. The types of cases aren't changing necessarily.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Sorry. Haven't been able to read through all 24 pages of this thread.

Can someone give me brief explanation of the hiring freeze?

Mainly:
1. Does it apply to all government agencies?
2. Has it been implemented yet?
3. What exactly is a "hiring freeze"?

Currently looking for a non-honors legal position at an independent federal agency. Does the freeze mean they're not hiring at this moment?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry. Haven't been able to read through all 24 pages of this thread.

Can someone give me brief explanation of the hiring freeze?

Mainly:
1. Does it apply to all government agencies?
2. Has it been implemented yet?
3. What exactly is a "hiring freeze"?

Currently looking for a non-honors legal position at an independent federal agency. Does the freeze mean they're not hiring at this moment?
LOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Is it right that the hiring freeze may lapse toward the end of this month, based on the initial 90 day policy?

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it right that the hiring freeze may lapse toward the end of this month, based on the initial 90 day policy?
April 21st is the "90th day."

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Hiring freeze lifted Thursday? Was this common knowledge? https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti ... ganization

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:06 am

MCFC wrote:Hiring freeze lifted Thursday? Was this common knowledge? https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti ... ganization
Well that's good news... I hope? I wonder what strings will be attached.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am

wesker wrote:
MCFC wrote:Hiring freeze lifted Thursday? Was this common knowledge? https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti ... ganization
Well it appears marching orders have been received related to staff reductions. This should be interesting...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/w ... uts-237139

bb9916

New

Post by bb9916 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:00 am

haus wrote:
wesker wrote:
Well it appears marching orders have been received related to staff reductions. This should be interesting...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/w ... uts-237139
So with this article, what do you guys think this means: "Trump has yet to fill scores of positions, and the guidance says any vacant posts judged unnecessary can be eliminated immediately."

Will those of us with Honors offers that have already received exemptions keep our exemptions until this fall? Or is there a chance we'll get axed before we start? You would think that if we have already received an exemption that we wouldn't be "unnecessary."

bb9916

New

Post by bb9916 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:25 am

"As a result, the government-wide hiring freeze is lifted upon issuance of this guidance."

Looks like it's time to reach back out to those "frozen" applications we had pending!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”