Hiring Freezes?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newlawgrad

New

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Post by newlawgrad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Can any of you who have recently started (i.e. those posting saying they would be going to AUSA before 2/22) confirm any of the most recent posts--that hiring will be down or non-existent in 2017 as the offices await a new budget effective in 2018? I know incoming line attorneys likely won't have too much of an ability to gain insight or confirm this, but to whatever degree possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:15 am

Not reading too much into it, but last night one of my AUSA apps that I submitted pre Jan 22, switched to 'Referred.'

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 pm

offering a grain of hope. Was interviewed for an EPA Honors position this week. I think the honors programs all applied for exemptions and I think because the honors positions are limited in term length the money is already put aside for them, so it's different than other hiring.

Dnova002

New

Post by Dnova002 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 pm

newlawgrad wrote:Can any of you who have recently started (i.e. those posting saying they would be going to AUSA before 2/22) confirm any of the most recent posts--that hiring will be down or non-existent in 2017 as the offices await a new budget effective in 2018? I know incoming line attorneys likely won't have too much of an ability to gain insight or confirm this, but to whatever degree possible.

I've been an AUSA for 3 weeks now. From what I see, they are still interviewing. Most of the office thinks we were exempt from the freeze, but I haven't heard that from anyone that would know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:04 am

3L who received an official offer from an independent agency in December. At the end of last week, I received confirmation that the agency can move forward with my offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 am

Anyone looked at the DOJ proposed budget? Know it is likely a work in progress, and that even republicans are rebuffing it, but a 3.8% decrease and a focus on immigration judges and border control makes me think it's a bad sign for AUSAs for sure, especially outside border districts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L who received an official offer from an independent agency in December. At the end of last week, I received confirmation that the agency can move forward with my offer.
FTC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:58 am

JakeTappers wrote:Anyone looked at the DOJ proposed budget? Know it is likely a work in progress, and that even republicans are rebuffing it, but a 3.8% decrease and a focus on immigration judges and border control makes me think it's a bad sign for AUSAs for sure, especially outside border districts.
I think it's probably a much worse sign for non-AUSA components like ENRD and tax and so on. My understanding is that the new AG is making violent crime (which will probably include drug crime) a priority, so while budget cuts are always bad, I don't think the USAOs are going to be the primary victims.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:46 pm

That budget isn't passing. Wait until Paul Ryan puts up a budget to care.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I know that - but the fight isn't going to be over DOJ. Dems will obviously fight the enormous dips in EPA, Labor, and other social services. Given that the Rs are already conceding a 4% decrease, even in a "law and order" admin, I have to assume this is the high watermark for the DOJ budget and will actually fall in future iterations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 am

JakeTappers wrote:Anyone looked at the DOJ proposed budget? Know it is likely a work in progress, and that even republicans are rebuffing it, but a 3.8% decrease and a focus on immigration judges and border control makes me think it's a bad sign for AUSAs for sure, especially outside border districts.

The bigger issue for AUSA hiring is going to be the lack of confirmed US Attorneys. The acting USA doesn't have hiring power or firing powers. I'm not sure if the interim one does. And I don't think we'll even see a nominee for a spot until the fall at the earliest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:

The bigger issue for AUSA hiring is going to be the lack of confirmed US Attorneys. The acting USA doesn't have hiring power or firing powers. I'm not sure if the interim one does. And I don't think we'll even see a nominee for a spot until the fall at the earliest.
? Is this really the case? have known people to get hired under acting AUSAs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's what I was told when my USA stepped down.

Edit: I was the op for that point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 am

Well, good to know. We'll see what happens I guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:38 pm

^...Of course I chose to clerk the one year there will apparently be no hiring whatsoever for the one job that was the reason I clerked.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^...Of course I chose to clerk the one year there will apparently be no hiring whatsoever for the one job that was the reason I clerked.
Next year or right now? Presumably next year, around January, everyone would be looking to hire.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think this is largely true, but was told by a former acting USA that this is not universal. This will be particularly true in border districts and maybe even other high profile locations if there is any delay in appointment due to the increases necessary for policy implementation. For example, I'm told several border districts will receive increases of up to 20% to double its immigration enforcement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

JakeTappers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^...Of course I chose to clerk the one year there will apparently be no hiring whatsoever for the one job that was the reason I clerked.
Next year or right now? Presumably next year, around January, everyone would be looking to hire.
I would normally be applying now. Timed it perfectly wrong. Just frustrating because it's really my own fault. Should've known it'd be a bad idea to clerk during/after an election year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was interviewed for an EPA Honors position this week. I think the honors programs all applied for exemptions and I think because the honors positions are limited in term length the money is already put aside for them, so it's different than other hiring.
A couple weeks after my first round of interviews with EPA, they emailed to say that all interviews were being put on hold (indefinitely) because they were affected by the hiring freeze. They only started looking at Honors Attorney applications in February after the freeze went into effect though.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Freeze is over for VA attorney positions; several dozen positions opening this year.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:40 am

FDIC made a decision about two weeks ago that some categories would be exempt from the freeze (e.g. InfoSec). I believe the attorney positions were to be decided on a case by case basis.

Rumor has it that earlier this week the board has received a list of positions recommended to move forward with. I am not sure how quickly they are going to make their decisions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Srsly don't worry. a) it's trump and b) if you already have an offer from big gov you'll land your feet somewhere else

The problem here is that many of us will effectively be turning down other offers for fed employment. To the extent we're able to, we have to make sure we won't be screwed.
Yeah, exactly. Perhaps, if someone discusses this with an agency (whether a hiring freeze could affect offers already extended), they could post the agency's response?
I spoke to HUD about this (interviewing soon) and they basically said "bring it up in the interview." However, folks in my career office have said that they moved their entire hiring schedule up to avoid potential issues with the freeze. That's somewhat encouraging.

No word on other agencies I applied to, but I'm planning to ask everyone. I strongly encourage people to share information here. This is a big deal for a LOT of people.
Pre-freeze lateral offer to the Criminal Division of the DOJ, but the offer is contingent on the background check, so no start date yet. Not a shocker, but my slot was exempted from the freeze. I got the news in a voicemail from HR, so I was unable to inquire as to how broad that exemption is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pre-freeze lateral offer to the Criminal Division of the DOJ, but the offer is contingent on the background check, so no start date yet. Not a shocker, but my slot was exempted from the freeze. I got the news in a voicemail from HR, so I was unable to inquire as to how broad that exemption is.
Same. I'm really curious as to how long the background check/clearance is going to take. I completed my SF-86 during the freeze. It doesn't sound like any of my references or employer have been contacted since the exemption came through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pre-freeze lateral offer to the Criminal Division of the DOJ, but the offer is contingent on the background check, so no start date yet. Not a shocker, but my slot was exempted from the freeze. I got the news in a voicemail from HR, so I was unable to inquire as to how broad that exemption is.
Same. I'm really curious as to how long the background check/clearance is going to take. I completed my SF-86 during the freeze. It doesn't sound like any of my references or employer have been contacted since the exemption came through.
OP: Mine just started last Thursday. I got an email requesting permission to speak with my current supervisor, who was then contacted. I got my SF-86 in to them just before the freeze.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP: Mine just started last Thursday. I got an email requesting permission to speak with my current supervisor, who was then contacted. I got my SF-86 in to them just before the freeze.
Gracias.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”