SEC Chair's Attorney Honors Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEC Chair's Attorney Honors Program

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:49 am

Anyone have experience with the Office of Market Supervision of the Division of Trading and Markets? Interested in rule-making, broker-dealer regulation, and derivatives. But haven't found much background info online.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:59 pm

Any updates here?

I summered with the Division of Enforcement last summer, but my grades have steadily declined since my first year (Top 20 --> Top 50). Hence, I am not optimistic, but like all of you, I'd like to hear back one way or the other. I received the initial eligibility email. My status still shows Reviewed.

Anyone receive additional emails, phone calls, telegrams?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates here?

I summered with the Division of Enforcement last summer, but my grades have steadily declined since my first year (Top 20 --> Top 50). Hence, I am not optimistic, but like all of you, I'd like to hear back one way or the other. I received the initial eligibility email. My status still shows Reviewed.

Anyone receive additional emails, phone calls, telegrams?
I also summered with enforcement and my grades have continued to improve (top 25% to top 10%) but nothing here either so I would guess your grades haven't had an impact. I am assuming I didn't make the cut and waiting for the ding email to show up in my inbox. (sigh).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:55 am

Update for folks: Division of Trading and Markets is still conducting in-person interviews. Corp Fin is currently conducting phone interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:28 pm

I assume that means SEC is finished contacting indivuals to schedule interviews? In other words, if you haven't been contacted, you have not been selected to interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I assume that means SEC is finished contacting indivuals to schedule interviews? In other words, if you haven't been contacted, you have not been selected to interview.

This is correct. Every division have extended interview invitations to everyone who is going to get one. Thus, if you haven't received an invitation to interview you weren't selected. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I assume that means SEC is finished contacting indivuals to schedule interviews? In other words, if you haven't been contacted, you have not been selected to interview.

This is correct. Every division have extended interview invitations to everyone who is going to get one. Thus, if you haven't received an invitation to interview you weren't selected. :(
What's your basis for knowing this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What's your basis for knowing this?

Human resources response to inquiry email. Said all candidates who will be interviewed have been notified already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Any movement? Do they send out ding letters?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement? Do they send out ding letters?
HR told me a few weeks ago that they have temporarily frozen the program. Take that for what you will. They traditionally do not send out ding letters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HR told me a few weeks ago that they have temporarily frozen the program. Take that for what you will. They traditionally do not send out ding letters.
Any idea how "temporary" the freeze is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any idea how "temporary" the freeze is?
If I had to guess, it's not temporary at all. They already extended some interviews and likely some offers awhile back - so it was probably HR's way of being nice to me, and really meaning to say they've concluded hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am

Has anyone heard anything at all? I had an interview in November but haven't heard anything since. Is it possible/probable that there is a delay due to the change in administration?

Also it doesn't seem likely that HR would lie about the program being frozen just to be nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything at all? I had an interview in November but haven't heard anything since. Is it possible/probable that there is a delay due to the change in administration?

Also it doesn't seem likely that HR would lie about the program being frozen just to be nice.
You should contact the people you interviewed wth. FWIW, When I got an offer for the program some years back it was in the second week of January after interviewing in early December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything at all? I had an interview in November but haven't heard anything since. Is it possible/probable that there is a delay due to the change in administration?

I reached out to one of my interviewer's recently after not hearing back (interview in Dec). Said her division isn't hiring any honors attys after all due to the uncertainty; said that likely won't change for some time. Cloud of the hiring freeze might be looming large.

Not sure if she was just cushioning the blow or what SEC's hiring outlook is moving forward, but ding for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I reached out to one of my interviewer's recently after not hearing back (interview in Dec). Said her division isn't hiring any honors attys after all due to the uncertainty; said that likely won't change for some time. Cloud of the hiring freeze might be looming large.

Not sure if she was just cushioning the blow or what SEC's hiring outlook is moving forward, but ding for me.
Was it corp fin?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Has nobody received an offer??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has nobody received an offer??
Lol I'm guessing you should take the dead silence as a "no."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 pm

crickets

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

OMB and the SEC's HR had put a freeze on all positions including those who had been given provisional offers. As of late last week, I was told that the Chair's Honors Program had been unfrozen and final offers with start dates is to proceed once background checks have been completed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OMB and the SEC's HR had put a freeze on all positions including those who had been given provisional offers. As of late last week, I was told that the Chair's Honors Program had been unfrozen and final offers with start dates is to proceed once background checks have been completed.
Is this still happening? Processing candidates who got provisional offers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OMB and the SEC's HR had put a freeze on all positions including those who had been given provisional offers. As of late last week, I was told that the Chair's Honors Program had been unfrozen and final offers with start dates is to proceed once background checks have been completed.
Is this still happening? Processing candidates who got provisional offers?
Any update?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 pm

I just got an email that the position has been cancelled? So officially nobody got this or incorrect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an email that the position has been cancelled? So officially nobody got this or incorrect?
I got this email too. I mean, I figured radio silence for 7 months was a ding, but it was weird. :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Did the SEC open their Honors program (for post-grad employment for 3Ls/clerks) this year? Wondering if I missed the class of '18 posting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”