Lateral process - callback to offer timing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral process - callback to offer timing

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:24 pm

For those that have lateraled between biglaw firms in NYC recently, what has been the typical time frame from the time you finished a callback to the time you received an offer? Do firms move as fast in the lateral market as they do in the SA market? Or do decisions generally take a lot longer. I finished a callback at my top choice firm recently and it's been close to two weeks without a decision. To be fair, partners were likely out during the week prior to labor day. Feedback was very positive both at the screener and post callback stage, as relayed to my recruiter. I felt very confident after the callback but am starting to doubt myself due to the delay. Thoughts? Am I obsessing too much and reading too much into the timing (hard not to now that I'm just playing the waiting game though)?

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral process - callback to offer timing

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:53 am

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those that have lateraled between biglaw firms in NYC recently, what has been the typical time frame from the time you finished a callback to the time you received an offer? Do firms move as fast in the lateral market as they do in the SA market? Or do decisions generally take a lot longer. I finished a callback at my top choice firm recently and it's been close to two weeks without a decision. To be fair, partners were likely out during the week prior to labor day. Feedback was very positive both at the screener and post callback stage, as relayed to my recruiter. I felt very confident after the callback but am starting to doubt myself due to the delay. Thoughts? Am I obsessing too much and reading too much into the timing (hard not to now that I'm just playing the waiting game though)?
I haven't lateraled within NYC (just NYC to out of NYC), but I can tell you there is no schedule. I had one firm wait over 4 months before extending an offer. They weren't sure if they really wanted to hire anyone for the group and were trying to assess their business. That's just the nature of the game.

If you haven't gotten a ding, you are likely still in the game. But it's worth following up after a few weeks to reiterate your interest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am

For NYC, if the firm is "reviewing resumes" before extending interviews, does that generally mean that those not offered interviews will be notified of such? Or do we wait in purgatory until we reach back out and find out that we weren't selected?

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:49 am

Calling back about “timing” is common and normally met with a polite but nebulous reply. The call won’t hurt or help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Recently lateraled between two biglaw firms in the same non-NY major market. Interviewed with 6 firms. 4 I got offers from gave me an offer a 1-3 days after my callback. One stuck me in not rejected but not offered limbo after my callback, I pulled out before a final answer so I don't know how long that would take. One I pulled out before my callback because they were too slow to schedule.

Different firms move at different paces, but I think if you were a slam dunk you'd have heard already. Most likely you're in a "maybe" category with the firm deciding whether they need to hire someone right now and, if so, whether you're the best candidate.

As a tip to future laterals, it's very helpful to say that you have pending offers, are at advanced stages in other interviews, or are on a quick timeline (have a good reason for the last one). Firms will move faster then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a tip to future laterals, it's very helpful to say that you have pending offers, are at advanced stages in other interviews, or are on a quick timeline (have a good reason for the last one). Firms will move faster then.
This is interesting advice. Will consider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:14 pm

FWIW, I got an offer at a V50 firm (secondary city) within 1 week of the callback. Total time from application to offer was less than 3 weeks.

I had a buddy who lateralled and it was over 1.5 months between callback and his offer. I also had another friend who got an offer literally the next day after the callback.

I think it really depends on necessity and also whether you are their first or second choice. It may depend on how long they have been looking too. I think the longer they are looking the quicker they will give you an offer (if you match what they are looking for).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: As a tip to future laterals, it's very helpful to say that you have pending offers, are at advanced stages in other interviews, or are on a quick timeline (have a good reason for the last one). Firms will move faster then.
What would be a valid reason for a quick timeline if you didn't have pending offers or were advanced with other interviews (i.e., if you were looking b/c you got the talk and had a limited time to find something)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:57 pm

What has the experience been like for those that are juniors looking to retool (not going from transactional to lit, but from one transactional group to another where there is some overlap)? Have responses been as quick?

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:What has the experience been like for those that are juniors looking to retool (not going from transactional to lit, but from one transactional group to another where there is some overlap)? Have responses been as quick?
The response time is mostly going to have to do with who else the firm is interviewing and how pressing the need is. Nothing to do with whether you are switching groups.

There's also random x-factors. My callback -> offer at my current gig was delayed 2 weeks because the main decision maker had a heart attack.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:36 am

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What has the experience been like for those that are juniors looking to retool (not going from transactional to lit, but from one transactional group to another where there is some overlap)? Have responses been as quick?
The response time is mostly going to have to do with who else the firm is interviewing and how pressing the need is. Nothing to do with whether you are switching groups.

There's also random x-factors. My callback -> offer at my current gig was delayed 2 weeks because the main decision maker had a heart attack.
Makes sense. I felt my cb interviews at this firm all went really well, got immediate positive feedback after the callback, was told I would fit in great and was generally feeling pretty confident. Feel like the only thing holding me back is my lack of direct experience. But as someone looking to retool, that is going to be an issue I encounter everywhere I interview. Are firms generally willing to take a chance on someone who has less experience but that they really like over a candidate that has exactly the experience they are looking for bit is less of a fit culturally? Really hoping this works out, but starting to feel doubt creep in as the process drags on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 am

So I applied for a lateral position in a major market in a niche practice group. E-mailed recruiting something along the lines of: "I am interviewing with peer firms and may be on a shorter timeline with regards to a lateral move. Any update on my application is greatly appreciated."

I got a response that said the firm isn't in a position to move as quickly as my timeline and that they wished me the best in my interviews.

Did I remove myself from consideration? Is this bad, or will they still consider me even if they're aware of my interviewing elsewhere. This is my top choice firm and would reject offers elsewhere to accept a position at this firm.

FWIW, I have a feeling that they're looking for someone, but it's not a dire need, and that they simply haven't received enough interest or perhaps they're willing to put my application on hold while they wait for maybe someone better to come through.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I applied for a lateral position in a major market in a niche practice group. E-mailed recruiting something along the lines of: "I am interviewing with peer firms and may be on a shorter timeline with regards to a lateral move. Any update on my application is greatly appreciated."

I got a response that said the firm isn't in a position to move as quickly as my timeline and that they wished me the best in my interviews.

Did I remove myself from consideration? Is this bad, or will they still consider me even if they're aware of my interviewing elsewhere. This is my top choice firm and would reject offers elsewhere to accept a position at this firm.

FWIW, I have a feeling that they're looking for someone, but it's not a dire need, and that they simply haven't received enough interest or perhaps they're willing to put my application on hold while they wait for maybe someone better to come through.
It's ambiguous but I'd say yes, by stating a time limitation with which the firm said it can't comply, you removed yourself from consideration. I think this is confirmed by the firm's "best of luck" sign-off that is included in virtually every rejection letter. I'm involved with hiring at my firm and that's the way I'd interpret it. It happens quite often where lateral candidates have timeframes that we simply can't meet (e.g., spouse getting transferred and they have to relocate by X time).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:04 am

What the f.supp? wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I applied for a lateral position in a major market in a niche practice group. E-mailed recruiting something along the lines of: "I am interviewing with peer firms and may be on a shorter timeline with regards to a lateral move. Any update on my application is greatly appreciated."

It's ambiguous but I'd say yes, by stating a time limitation with which the firm said it can't comply, you removed yourself from consideration. I think this is confirmed by the firm's "best of luck" sign-off that is included in virtually every rejection letter. I'm involved with hiring at my firm and that's the way I'd interpret it. It happens quite often where lateral candidates have timeframes that we simply can't meet (e.g., spouse getting transferred and they have to relocate by X time).
Yeah I had the same feeling. FWIW, I did send a follow up reply asking not to be removed from consideration as I had not yet accepted any offers and that, more or less, this firm was my top choice. If I end up not accepting an offer, would it be worth sending an update stating so (I'd say I'll know in like 2 weeks)? It sounds like they're still reviewing resumes and aren't in an immediate need of a lateral. My initial concern is that they'll be reviewing resumes for months... it's been about 3 weeks since I submitted my app and who knows how long that job posting has been up for. Could have been for a year. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 am

Bump ^^

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump ^^
I’m 1.5 weeks after a lateral CB that I thought went well at a large firm with radio silence. Up to this point, the process moved very quickly...making me think it’s a ding. On the other hand, maybe they just have more people to interview? Opening was first posted in early april.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump ^^
I’m 1.5 weeks after a lateral CB that I thought went well at a large firm with radio silence. Up to this point, the process moved very quickly...making me think it’s a ding. On the other hand, maybe they just have more people to interview? Opening was first posted in early april.
I am the OP here. At the 2-week mark, I got asked to come in for a third interview to meet the remaining couple people in the small group I have not yet met.

Good sign?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Yes good sign.

I was about a month from first interview to offer. Had my first callback type interview, got brought back two weeks later for another callback type interview. Offer two weeks later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes good sign.

I was about a month from first interview to offer. Had my first callback type interview, got brought back two weeks later for another callback type interview. Offer two weeks later.
Same OP. Had some favorable words sent my way during this third interview by partners, and then favorable words in response to my thank you notes about how they’ll “hopefully be seeing me soon.”

Been 3 business days and I’m pulling my hair out haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”