What are some exit options for Debt Finance and Project Finance? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What are some exit options for Debt Finance and Project Finance?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:23 pm

for the current debt finance or project finance lawyers... what drew you into the practice over some of the other transactional groups? what appealed to you initially to make that choice and do you have any regrets about it now after having experienced the practice first-hand for a few years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Bump. Let's hear more from bank/finance lawyers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:28 am

FIrst (stub) year here, I entered the firm a few months ago as a general corporate guy, but my niche is sort of unofficially becoming project finance. Oil and gas specifically. The work isn't too bad but this thread has me scared (about exit options in particular). Fuck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Milbank PF mid-level here. I'd largely echo MilbankAlum's post earlier. Milbank's PF group is excellent at what they do and often represents the same banks that are sponsoring large infrastructure or energy projects across the world. In addition to the LatAm projects, we do a lot in the far east (Mongolia, China, Singapore), the Middle East, and obviously North America. The partners in the group are the best in the business and the group is incredibly diverse and worldly, which makes the day to day work much more enjoyable and bearable (because hey, it's biglaw).

As far as exit options, I've seen a number of my colleagues leave and do great things. Many (I'd say most) go in-house at one of our clients in the renewables/energy fields (think big gas, oil, solar, etc.). I've also seen people go to banks that we worked with time and time again, and most of those people found their respective banking positions based on their contacts and relationships during their time at Milbank. I've also seen several people go into general corporate in-house positions, meaning they've had no issue selling their PF experience as more generalized and corporate-esqe. For instance, I have a friends from Milbank PF that work in the entertainment industry (major film studios doing contract stuff), the insurance industry, and the automotive industry, all where they do general corporate in-house work that has nothing to do with PF.

I think an upside of Milbank PF is that because it is so highly regarded, many clients and banks are more than willing to hire Milbank alums that they have worked with in the past. On the other hand, although PF is different from a lot of transactional work, you can still spin it to be tailored to more general corporate positions.

Just my $.02.

SlightlyConfused01

New

Post by SlightlyConfused01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote: As far as exit options, I've seen a number of my colleagues leave and do great things. Many (I'd say most) go in-house at one of our clients in the renewables/energy fields (think big gas, oil, solar, etc.). I've also seen people go to banks that we worked with time and time again, and most of those people found their respective banking positions based on their contacts and relationships during their time at Milbank. I've also seen several people go into general corporate in-house positions, meaning they've had no issue selling their PF experience as more generalized and corporate-esqe. For instance, I have a friends from Milbank PF that work in the entertainment industry (major film studios doing contract stuff), the insurance industry, and the automotive industry, all where they do general corporate in-house work that has nothing to do with PF.
Just my $.02.
This is an old post so a long shot you'll see this, but would you be able to PM me when you have the chance? Had a question how your friend managed to do this. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 am

Is Milbank this good?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”