Kirkland (Houston) Associate - Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland (Houston) Associate - Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:50 pm

I still haven't heard anything back since CB early last week, should I email the recruitment?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still haven't heard anything back since CB early last week, should I email the recruitment?
Hate to tell you but it's most likely a ding. They have been making offers on a rolling basis within 48 hours from what I've experienced and heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I still haven't heard anything back since CB early last week, should I email the recruitment?
Hate to tell you but it's most likely a ding. They have been making offers on a rolling basis within 48 hours from what I've experienced and heard.
What is the signing bonus for a (soon to be) 3rd year lateral? I know the first year amount - curious how much it goes up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 pm

I am hoping this thread is not dead. Such a good thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Have the final wave of offers gone out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have the final wave of offers gone out?
Most KE offers seem to be going out within 24 hours of CB.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:44 am

law&disorder wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, why did you move to KE? I know lots of associates who have moved, and all have been for a good reason (i.e. not at a top corp firm, not doing well, etc.) ... unless you were more senior - 4th+ years getting six figure signing bonuses. I guess I just don't see why an associate at a top corp office in Houston would make the jump young if they were well liked and doing good work. The signing bonuses are not worth that kind of move until you are more senior. Definitely not saying those are the only people who move, legitimately curious to hear why the move, as I too receive phone calls about KE often and wonder what the incentive would be.

Have also heard rumors about the super abrasiveness of the associates in the office. I know a couple, and they sure fit the abrasive, or nicely put - "strong personality" type. I also know a couple who are awesome people, so it could just be that the firm does not really have a culture of its own yet.
OP here. Good question. If you are at a top corp office in Houston (consider VE/LW peers in this regard), and are well liked, there is a good argument for staying put but there are also good arguments for making the switch to KE. This becomes a personal calculus, and ties into the factors I mentioned above in an earlier response with regards to professional goals. If your goal is to maximize money you earn while doing this job, while maximizing corporate opportunities outside of Texas as well, then you should come to KE. Anecdotal signing bonuses (this is in addition to guaranteed end of year bonuses for jumping) : 35K (first year), 60-70K (second/third years) + higher for 4th years and above. Your bonuses will be higher here each year here than anywhere else in TX outside of a few lit boutiques. Kirkland pays a multiple of NY market (despite being in Houston) each year. In previous years, this has averaged around 1.2 - 1.5+ of top NY market. At VE, you need to hit 2300 to get NY market. Market is the floor here. Multiples begin, generally, around 2100 with 2300+ getting you around 1.5 territory (in recent years). That's tens of thousands of dollars each year extra. Add that to your signing bonus, and you are looking at making 100K more than your VE peer over two years, with the spread getting bigger over time.
If the goal is to make partner, and you are at VE, and are well liked, strong reasons to stay if you dont mind making less. I'd argue that if at Latham and goal is to make non-equity partner, come to KE and make more money doing it while maintaining same in-house exit opportunities.
If the goal is to make partner, and you are at VE, and are well liked, strong reasons to stay if you dont mind making less. I'd argue that if at Latham and goal is to make non-equity partner, come to KE and make more money doing it while maintaining same in-house exit opportunities.
At a non-TX BigLaw firm doing transactional work and have begun pursuing lateral opportunities in Texas/Houston. What would you say to someone who is choosing between KE and LW, but isn't necessarily striving for partner track? Would be happy to hear any specifics you or one of the other KE associates can offer (by PM or otherwise) about the comparison (to the extent you/they know) about specific comparisons between KE/LW about total comp, culture, actual hours worked, types of deals/experience gained.
I'd like to revive this question regarding KE/LW. Feel free to PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Rumors on another thread are that too many candidates have accepted offers from KE Houston. Anyone able to substantiate this claim?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p9548088

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:12 pm

They called back 100+ so I would not be surprised and I think they thought their yield rate would be low.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They called back 100+ so I would not be surprised and I think they thought their yield rate would be low.
Anyone know roughly how many have accepted? I know they were going for 25. Be impressed if they got that many more than that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They called back 100+ so I would not be surprised and I think they thought their yield rate would be low.
Anyone know roughly how many have accepted? I know they were going for 25. Be impressed if they got that many more than that.

I accepted there recently and roughly 25 was what I was promised. I would seriously consider walking out of my offer with the assistance of my OCS if it turns out the SA class is going to be 35-40+. I do not want to walk into a situation where summer associates are at each other's necks in attempts at being a survivor.

Any clarification from Kirkland attorneys on here would be helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I accepted there recently and roughly 25 was what I was promised. I would seriously consider walking out of my offer with the assistance of my OCS if it turns out the SA class is going to be 35-40+. I do not want to walk into a situation where summer associates are at each other's necks in attempts at being a survivor.

Any clarification from Kirkland attorneys on here would be helpful.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Kirkland isn't going to no-offer you. Particularly KE HOUSTON.

But seriously, KE isn't going to no-offer anyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Kirkland isn't going to no-offer you. Particularly KE HOUSTON.

So you think they would take 40 summer associates if it came down to it? That seems ridiculous to me.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:10 pm

First, I don't work there so I really have no idea. But Kirkland is part of a group of firms that wears the 100% offer rate like a badge of honor. They are going to honor their offers, farm work from other offices if necessary, and yes, give 100% offers. Also, from what I can tell..this is all based on speculation from a random post somewhere?

Again, I don't work there so can't say anything for sure. But, IMO, the the reputation hit of no-offering even 5 summers in one office wouldn't be worth it.
Last edited by RaceJudicata on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:15 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:First, I don't work there so I really have no idea. But Kirkland is a group of firms that wears the 100% offer rate like a badge of honor. They are going to honor their offers, farm work from other offices if necessary, and yes, give 100% offers. Also, from what I can tell..this is all based on speculation from a random post somewhere?

Again, I don't work there so can't say anything for sure. But, IMO, the the reputation hit of no-offering even 5 summers in one office wouldn't be worth it.

Absolutely - that's the general answer I have been getting, too. I had a moment of panic with that rumor, but as you pointed out, nothing but a rumor at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Kirkland isn't going to no-offer you. Particularly KE HOUSTON.

So you think they would take 40 summer associates if it came down to it? That seems ridiculous to me.
yeah they would. they might make it known that there is flex in terms of which office you join full time in case anyone is interested in going to one of the bigger offices or something but they'll give offers. they can offer the entire class expecting a handful to end up joining after clerkships, and a few others to 3L oci for any number of reasons. those will shrink the starting class a little.
the truth is everyone looks at that summer offer number, and no one looks at how many are still around in year three. so they can move people on a little more quickly than they normally would to get their numbers fixed after a few years if necessary

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:57 pm

any other 2Ls with offers receive an offer of money as a sweetener to accept a summer position? didn't know that was a thing till now

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:any other 2Ls with offers receive an offer of money as a sweetener to accept a summer position? didn't know that was a thing till now
Lol is this a joke? You received an offer for a signing bonus for a summer position?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any other 2Ls with offers receive an offer of money as a sweetener to accept a summer position? didn't know that was a thing till now
Lol is this a joke? You received an offer for a signing bonus for a summer position?
I know that htey offer signing bonus to summers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How much is it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How much is it?
Mine was in the 2x,xxx range... Contingent on me accepting a full time offer at the end of my summer (and seemingly separate from any bar stipend type bonus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How much is it?
Mine was in the 2x,xxx range... Contingent on me accepting a full time offer at the end of my summer (and seemingly separate from any bar stipend type bonus
Did you submit a diversity application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Diversity stipends are 25K so that sounds right, but if this is an actual signing bonus for summers, wish I would've known before declining

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Diversity stipends are 25K so that sounds right, but if this is an actual signing bonus for summers, wish I would've known before declining
These r not diversity bonuses. These r actual signing bonus

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”