Kirkland (Houston) Associate - Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland (Houston) Associate - Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:37 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:40 am

mods, are there actually multiple different KE anons in here? just curious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:29 am

I've also heard from others that your office is full of difficult personalities. My classmate interviewed with you guys, and he said there was definitely a douchey atmosphere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to respond to say the rest of anon's post should be rendered null on the basis of the use of the word "jelly"...what a joke.
Same anon here. Meh, I'll edit my post to make it more serious just to forestall any future complaining, but honestly if you are fishing for any excuse to be contrarian about the KE office when associates are sharing that they are generally proud and pleased to work there, no one is going to be able to convince you. Overall I am very glad I made the choice to go to KE and I get the impression from other associates that they generally feel the same way. I think the hours will improve over the next year and honestly I would rather have a lot of work at a new office because of high deal flow than to be left twiddling my thumbs or to be working a lot of hours just because steady defections have suddenly left my office understaffed (both of which I've heard from friends at some other places in town).
Anonymous User wrote:I've also heard from others that your office is full of difficult personalities. My classmate interviewed with you guys, and he said there was definitely a douchey atmosphere.
Well, I have no idea who interviewed your friend or why your friend got that impression, but I think if you want to confirm it for yourself you should ask a (non-anonymous) person who actually worked there...pick up the phone and reach out to someone who has summered there or who is an associate there right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:58 am

FWIW I liked the people I met. They came across like any other Texas lawyers I've met. Though I'm not one to truly choose based on fit. I'm making decisions based on availability/substantiality of work for young associates and other work related factors cause I'm looking for a career. Not a group of friends.

ETA: anon b/c profile would make it obvious which applicant I am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:15 pm

How are lateral/exit options if you decide you no longer want to live in Texas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are lateral/exit options if you decide you no longer want to live in Texas?
OP here. By all accounts, very strong. I think that is a big advantage that KE (and Latham) has over the VEs and BBs of the world. The latter two are great firms and an experienced associate at either would have options outside of TX but they would have to hustle more, especially if the desired exit opportunity isn't tied to energy. Rightly or wrongly, prestige and rankings matter in our industry. A Kirkland (and Latham) associate will be a known commodity in just about any market. Again, this is not to say that the BB/VE associate couldn't do the same with some leg-work and hustle. But if the question is "maximizing" lateral/exit options outside of TX, I think the distinction is pretty clear.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:mods, are there actually multiple different KE anons in here? just curious
Reasonable question...probably? They are all different accounts and while there is some IP overlap, well, if they're posting from work, there would be (and there are also IP differences).

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:28 pm

If you had to compare Kirkland Houston to a mid to late 1990s WCW heel stable which one would you choose and why?

Eta: Seriously though I do sincerely appreciate you anon(s?) doing this because there's like nothing about this office on TLS

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:If you had to compare Kirkland Houston to a mid to late 1990s WCW heel stable which one would you choose and why?

Eta: Seriously though I do sincerely appreciate you anon(s?) doing this because there's like nothing about this office on TLS
OP here. Probably Flair because he was awesome. On a serious note, happy to do it. There has been some misinformation in the marketplace and speaking personally, wanted to clear it up. I bet that is at least part of the reason why you are seeing other KE anons jump in and contribute too. Recruits deserve to know the facts before making such an important life decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If you had to compare Kirkland Houston to a mid to late 1990s WCW heel stable which one would you choose and why?

OP here. Probably Flair because he was awesome. On a serious note, happy to do it. There has been some misinformation in the marketplace and speaking personally, wanted to clear it up. I bet that is at least part of the reason why you are seeing other KE anons jump in and contribute too. Recruits deserve to know the facts before making such an important life decision.
Facts? You statements are the opposite of facts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:23 pm

To all the people in here who don't like KE Houston - why? I'm currently weighing my options in Houston but nobody seems to be sharing the downsides. I know there have to be some but what exactly are they?

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Facts? You statements are the opposite of facts.
Anon abuse, also *your.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:To all the people in here who don't like KE Houston - why? I'm currently weighing my options in Houston but nobody seems to be sharing the downsides. I know there have to be some but what exactly are they?
I dont think anyone ITT dislikes KE Houston, I think most of us are just entertained by the anon's love and passion for pushing paper in the friendly confines of KE Houston

Bananapancakes

New

Post by Bananapancakes » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:To all the people in here who don't like KE Houston - why? I'm currently weighing my options in Houston but nobody seems to be sharing the downsides. I know there have to be some but what exactly are they?
If you're deciding between multiple offers, I'd highly recommend asking for informal coffees/lunches/dinners with associates (especially 1-3 years who you'll be working directly with when you get to the firm). Most recruiting departments are happy to set this up for you, and I think most associates will be pretty honest with you about their firm (I would hope). I know many of us take the approach that giving recruits more information is better, because we don't want someone to come in with the wrong perception and have it be a bad fit. That's not good for anyone.

Also remember that a) 99% of the stuff on websites like this are gossip that someone heard from his/her friend, who heard from his/her brother's girlfriend's best friend's niece who went on a date with a guy who works at XYZ firm and it may not even be remotely true, b) everyone has different experiences at the same firm and what one person might find intolerable in a workplace is another person's ideal work environment and c) there are bad apples at every single firm in town and at most places (at least those with decently-sized groups and a free market system) you have the option of who you work for/interact with, so if you don't click with one person you can likely avoid him or her. I would figure out what is important to you in a work environment (level of responsibility of junior associates; client contact; flexible work environment; how are projects assigned; comp; face time; numbers of hours expected to bill; vacation policy etc.) and ask pointed questions of all the associates you meet rather than relying on dirt anonymous people post online.

TL;DR: Go ask associates to be honest with you and don't rely on TLS/gossip sites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:56 am

Nevermind - I don't know what is in the water over there at KE.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote: OP here. Yeah, the other KE anon hit the nail on the head. The idea that a firm would go back to a current or prospective client, refuse work, as well as the associated revenue, is absurd. Re: the above, it's true that business points need to be run up the chain before the docs are finalized. But this is no different from any other deal at any other firm. Has been no different here than my previous firm.
In my experience in mostly other markets (more NYC/London), others are more cordial in stating what is a commercial point and actually running it up the chain, as opposed to saying NO/arguing and leaving it to the business parties to communicate directly.

Good news is, unlike in real life, I can bow out here on this war of attrition ;) Enjoy the bonuses and NSP-title (seriously, I think both are good).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:00 pm

WhiteCollarBlueShirt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: OP here. Yeah, the other KE anon hit the nail on the head. The idea that a firm would go back to a current or prospective client, refuse work, as well as the associated revenue, is absurd. Re: the above, it's true that business points need to be run up the chain before the docs are finalized. But this is no different from any other deal at any other firm. Has been no different here than my previous firm.
In my experience in mostly other markets (more NYC/London), others are more cordial in stating what is a commercial point and actually running it up the chain, as opposed to saying NO/arguing and leaving it to the business parties to communicate directly.

Good news is, unlike in real life, I can bow out here on this war of attrition ;) Enjoy the bonuses and NSP-title (seriously, I think both are good).
Do non share partners make more than senior associates? For example, do 6th years, when they get NSP title, make more than the standard $280,000 base salary? I am not talking about bonus levels, just curious if they annual salary is the same or more.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Isn't the true beauty of the NSP the fact that Kirkland can extend its partner track by a few more years? That way they can keep 7 and 8th-year associates working at MAX PRODUCTIVITY for an additional 2 to 3 more years? Pretty brilliant.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:47 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Isn't the true beauty of the NSP the fact that Kirkland can extend its partner track by a few more years? That way they can keep 7 and 8th-year associates working at MAX PRODUCTIVITY for an additional 2 to 3 more years? Pretty brilliant.
I thought the NSP stared around the end of year six. Is it really the same as the normal partnership period?

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:58 pm

My understanding is that you're a NSP starting at year ~6 and then there's a period of another ~4 years to determine whether you'll make share partner. Essentially a 10+ year track.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:28 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:My understanding is that you're a NSP starting at year ~6 and then there's a period of another ~4 years to determine whether you'll make share partner. Essentially a 10+ year track.
I can confirm it is basically a 10+ year track, which is great for the firm since years 6-10 are so profitable and good for associates who cannot make partner elsewhere because it gives an extra couple years at that high salary.

But is their salary just senior associate salary levels, or is it higher? I have heard it depends. If the firm thinks you are on share partner track, it can be much higher. If the firm doesn't think you are, you are basically capped at that 8th year salary. But curious if there is truth to this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 am

KE (non-Houston) associate here, but I work constantly with the Houston team, so I have a pretty decent relationship with the group.

Good group of people. Culture specific -- need to have a thick skin, and an ambitious but easy-going mentality. You will work hard.

Surprised to hear anything bad about the partners. I work with them a lot and while they're not lovey-dovey they don't seem like assholes.

Downsides are that a) the office is crazy busy and b) it's a small team with a lot of contact with young, ambitious rainmaker superstar partners. Kind of a double-edged sword. If you want to put in your 2-3 years then lateral or go in house, probably not the office for you. If you fuck something up, because it's a tight-nit group, word will get around. You can't hide somewhere in the cracks doing menial work for 40 hours a week, people will know who you are and will staff you on matters and expect you to put serious work in.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Agreed. K&E is definitely successful, but the question is for how long (in the HOU office). I cancelled my CB because several people in corporate offices have detested how horrible it is to work with K&E in Houston and that some firms won't even touch a deal if K&E is on it.I didn't want to be at a firm where the people on the other side didn't want to work with me or have that reputation that comes along with being a part of K&E's corporate work in Houston.
hahaha if a firm doesn't want to touch a deal because we are on it, guess they're not working in PE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:KE (non-Houston) associate here, but I work constantly with the Houston team, so I have a pretty decent relationship with the group.

Good group of people. Culture specific -- need to have a thick skin, and an ambitious but easy-going mentality. You will work hard.

Surprised to hear anything bad about the partners. I work with them a lot and while they're not lovey-dovey they don't seem like assholes.

Downsides are that a) the office is crazy busy and b) it's a small team with a lot of contact with young, ambitious rainmaker superstar partners. Kind of a double-edged sword. If you want to put in your 2-3 years then lateral or go in house, probably not the office for you. If you fuck something up, because it's a tight-nit group, word will get around. You can't hide somewhere in the cracks doing menial work for 40 hours a week, people will know who you are and will staff you on matters and expect you to put serious work in.
And if you want to stick around for longer and try to make partner, also probably not the office for you. I think that the reason to join KE is primarily if you want to do this for 6-7 years and then peace out. You will get higher bonuses but partnership chances will probably be low (on top of the 10 year track). I actually think NSP is a good thing, gives more opportunity to develop business, but a 10 year track sucks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”