Best firm in Michigan Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Best firm in Michigan

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to the lateral market as a mid-level/senior associate for the above firms? Currently a transactional associate doing a mix of emerging company and public company/securities work in Silicon Valley. Are there any other firms there doing start up work for the small Ann Arbor scene or do they tend to go with Gunderson and/or work remotely with SV/SF firms?

I lived in Michigan my entire life; attended Michigan undergrad; worked in Ann Arbor for several years after UG. Moved to California for husband's job and law school but am starting to consider the possibility of moving back in a couple of years to be close to family.

I think Gunderson's move was to try and open up to this market a bit more, but you really have two different markets for that type of work here, AA and Detroit (as far as the east side goes). AA is a much more mature and developed market, thanks to UMich, and Detroit is just starting to get things going. If I understand it properly, a bunch of the metro area firms do work in both, and try to attack that space in the market, but they really don't know what they're doing or how to do it so not much has happened (hence Gunderson coming in and trying to get a foothold). I think Taft is also coming in and does a good deal of work in the AA area as well.

Anon_jd

New

Post by Anon_jd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm

As a piggyback to the OG post, considering a move to Detroit metro towards the end of the year. I'm a former prosecutor with small law firm experience as well. What are the best litigation firms? My wife is from Detroit and we would moving for a job opportunity she has there.

I'm interested in the top firms and even considering the US Attorneys Office. Any words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Anon_jd wrote:As a piggyback to the OG post, considering a move to Detroit metro towards the end of the year. I'm a former prosecutor with small law firm experience as well. What are the best litigation firms? My wife is from Detroit and we would moving for a job opportunity she has there.

I'm interested in the top firms and even considering the US Attorneys Office. Any words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I think this highly depends on the kind of work you were doing/clients you represented at the small firm. Tbh, I don't see a ton of small law laterals to many of the above firms besides Foster Swift and Miller Johnson. But a lot of those people tend to be from MI and worked at some mid/small MI shops. I've met laterals to Honigman and those were almost exclusively biglaw/big4 guys. Hope I could help. I don't know much about the other firms listed.

Also just generally for the thread - I see Littler Mendelson has an office now in Detroit and it has a quite a bit of associates (for people interested in labor).

Anon_jd

New

Post by Anon_jd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon_jd wrote:As a piggyback to the OG post, considering a move to Detroit metro towards the end of the year. I'm a former prosecutor with small law firm experience as well. What are the best litigation firms? My wife is from Detroit and we would moving for a job opportunity she has there.

I think this highly depends on the kind of work you were doing/clients you represented at the small firm. Tbh, I don't see a ton of small law laterals to many of the above firms besides Foster Swift and Miller Johnson. But a lot of those people tend to be from MI and worked at some mid/small MI shops. I've met laterals to Honigman and those were almost exclusively biglaw/big4 guys. Hope I could help. I don't know much about the other firms listed.

Also just generally for the thread - I see Littler Mendelson has an office now in Detroit and it has a quite a bit of associates (for people interested in labor).
Thanks for the input. Currently, I'm in DC and my firm does a bit of everything - insurance defense, construction law, labor/employment, civil rights. What is that the biglaw firms in detroit look for, background-wise, other than previous BigLaw elsewhere?

I'm considering going the route of federal prosecutor there so I can build up my chops and reputation there, then transition to BigLaw in some years. Are attorneys coming out of the Eastern District of Michigan well respected among the local BigLaw firms in Michigan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the input. Currently, I'm in DC and my firm does a bit of everything - insurance defense, construction law, labor/employment, civil rights. What is that the biglaw firms in detroit look for, background-wise, other than previous BigLaw elsewhere?

I'm considering going the route of federal prosecutor there so I can build up my chops and reputation there, then transition to BigLaw in some years. Are attorneys coming out of the Eastern District of Michigan well respected among the local BigLaw firms in Michigan?
I will defer on the federal prosecutor thing. I really don't know enough to give you a good answer on what ED MI wants or if firms respect ED MI prosecutors (I'm assuming they definitely do).

I think your background will make you competitive for many of the Detroit/MI firms (barring the Jones Day office). I believe I've seen quite a few positions posted for construction law attnys. If you did a ton of ID work - check out plunkett cooney. Huge ID practice. Not sure what their payscale is, but its a firm people don't mention BUT has a LOT of attnys. (E.g. it's bigger than foster swift, miller johnson, maybe varnum too).

Look of the MI bar job seeker page for job opportunities as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I will defer on the federal prosecutor thing. I really don't know enough to give you a good answer on what ED MI wants or if firms respect ED MI prosecutors (I'm assuming they definitely do).

I think your background will make you competitive for many of the Detroit/MI firms (barring the Jones Day office). I believe I've seen quite a few positions posted for construction law attnys. If you did a ton of ID work - check out plunkett cooney. Huge ID practice. Not sure what their payscale is, but its a firm people don't mention BUT has a LOT of attnys. (E.g. it's bigger than foster swift, miller johnson, maybe varnum too).

Well that sounds pretty good re: law firms. I have been researching but what is the payscale for Detroit firms? I know that Honigman starts at $150k, but where are other firms at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well that sounds pretty good re: law firms. I have been researching but what is the payscale for Detroit firms? I know that Honigman starts at $150k, but where are other firms at?
Most of the firms listed here are on this list are around 100k give or take. (More trend up...foster and rhoades trend down).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There was a post a few weeks back on this. Honigman at 150, Foley and Jones Day currently at 160; Bodman/Dykema/Clark Hill/Dickinson somewhere around 105-125; everyone use idk.

Anon_jd

New

Post by Anon_jd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There was a post a few weeks back on this. Honigman at 150, Foley and Jones Day currently at 160; Bodman/Dykema/Clark Hill/Dickinson somewhere around 105-125; everyone use idk.
Thanks. I will look for that thread. I find it unusual to be unable to find the salaries for law firms in a major city like Detroit, but I guess that's just me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:12 am

Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon_jd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. I will look for that thread. I find it unusual to be unable to find the salaries for law firms in a major city like Detroit, but I guess that's just me.
Salary data was confusing due to unannounced increases between the last NALP form and the upcoming NALP form.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Can anyone at Foley in Detroit shed some light on what it's like working there? What are the hours like? What are the firm benefits? How are the bonuses? What are the best practice groups, and what are the worst?

I've read contradicting statements that starting salary is both 140k and 160k. Anyone know what it actually is? Anyone know what the scale looks like for the years that follow?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone at Foley in Detroit shed some light on what it's like working there? What are the hours like? What are the firm benefits? How are the bonuses? What are the best practice groups, and what are the worst?

I've read contradicting statements that starting salary is both 140k and 160k. Anyone know what it actually is? Anyone know what the scale looks like for the years that follow?

It is now 160k. It was 140k pre-Cravath movement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Salary data is f*cking annoying in Detroit because of a lack of firms filling out a NALP form.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone at Foley in Detroit shed some light on what it's like working there? What are the hours like? What are the firm benefits? How are the bonuses? What are the best practice groups, and what are the worst?

Oh, awesome, thanks for letting me know. Any insight on how it scales up for second and third years? Is it just an extra 10k bump each year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, awesome, thanks for letting me know. Any insight on how it scales up for second and third years? Is it just an extra 10k bump each year?
Can confirm it's 10k/year with a few other adjustments along the line, but roughly 10k/year increase. Bonuses are tiered based on hours, but I think the currently baseline hourly threshold is 1950.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm it's 10k/year with a few other adjustments along the line, but roughly 10k/year increase. Bonuses are tiered based on hours, but I think the currently baseline hourly threshold is 1950.
Any other insight into the office, or any firm benefits? Do they do any type of 401K matching? I heard that if you don't meet your hours, they withhold bonus and also withhold any increase in pay. Is that true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Interested in hearing opinions on Bodman, curious about some of the things said about them earlier in this thread and if they are still true. It was hard to figure out their culture, any insight would be helpful. Also does anyone know their progression in pay for year 2,3,4? Any new information on Kerr Russell?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Sorry for the necro. Any opinions on the state of the EC/VC market in Michigan? Seems like interesting things are happening there, but hard to tell as an outsider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 am

I would love to know more about Foley and Honigman. Specifically, what the summer programs and associate hours are like. Additionally, what t14 grades does each hire at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would love to know more about Foley and Honigman. Specifically, what the summer programs and associate hours are like. Additionally, what t14 grades does each hire at?
I can speak to Honigman. Summer program wise- it’s generally 9-5 but there are several social events each week after work hours (sometimes during work hours!).

In terms of grades, Honigman is generally considered the most grade selective firm in MI and usually hires from the top third of t14 classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would love to know more about Foley and Honigman. Specifically, what the summer programs and associate hours are like. Additionally, what t14 grades does each hire at?
I can speak to Honigman. Summer program wise- it’s generally 9-5 but there are several social events each week after work hours (sometimes during work hours!).

In terms of grades, Honigman is generally considered the most grade selective firm in MI and usually hires from the top third of t14 classes.
Honigman regularly takes median t14 students. Yes they also get some superstars but if you look at their associates there are a lot of no honors Michigan students. JD is probably the most grade selective firm at the moment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Honigman has a bad reputation for no-offering people - a couple people who worked there (and got offers) have suggested that they purposefully over-hire summer associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Honigman has a bad reputation for no-offering people - a couple people who worked there (and got offers) have suggested that they purposefully over-hire summer associates.
To be fair the last three years they have no offered 3/50 or so Summers with all three no offers being last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
To be fair the last three years they have no offered 3/50 or so Summers with all three no offers being last year.
According to friends that previously worked there, they no offered more than 3/50 and last year was not the first time they no offered. They described the workplace as toxic and competitive, even for summers. It's a good firm in the midwest, but they've had trouble retaining top partners. No offering summers maybe the result of financial problems or just simply poor recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Anyone know anything about Foley?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”