District Attorney Offices 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just keep checking my mail in the hopes that there is no rejection letter in there..... I hope I get something by graduation....otherwise this will be hard.... anyone hear anything from queens? I know 4 people have been confirmed.
Recently confirmed? Or just that you know of in general... Also, if recently, do you know what their timelines were? Waiting to hear as well and was told things went good but not sure what that means. Anyone have any insight?
No, not recently. When was your last round? I know 2 people got an offer in december... not sure about their timeline..sorry. I have been waiting since the end of November. :(
That's okay - appreciate the info. I know of one person hired in Dec. in Queens as well so that adds onto that. My last round with them was in Feb., but been in limbo with DANY since Nov. so I understand your pain :( Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Manhattan is done hiring? Seem to be in limbo with them and not sure if that = rejection as of now.
No, not rejected yet. You will receive an email with a rejection letter...I received mine recently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Manhattan is done hiring? Seem to be in limbo with them and not sure if that = rejection as of now.
No, not rejected yet. You will receive an email with a rejection letter...I received mine recently.
Sorry to hear. Mind if I ask when your last round with them was?

QuickQuestionsRN

New

Post by QuickQuestionsRN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 pm

I'm going to be interning with Manhattan DA's office. Does anyone have any suggestions for preferences for bureaus? We have the options of investigation, appellate, special narcotics, and general trial. I originally thought investigation because I'd like to work my way into major economic crimes but had a professor point out to me that I should try to see court as much as possible to make myself a more competitive hire.

So... any general advice?

Anyone know if where you intern impacts where you wind up or if you get hired?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No worries. September.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:48 am

I had my first round last week, but it was not the screener, it was a panel. Very confused... No word yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current Bronx ADA. DA Clark just announced among other things that 1) we're looking to hire ~120 ADAs for the fall of 2017, 2) we're getting our DA badges back, along with these new challenge coins to trade among LEAs, and 3) she's looking to really clean up, revamp, and expand our facilities.
120 is nuts, right? I don't think I've ever seen numbers for classes higher than the 60's. Can someone shed some light onto that?

It's now 125. Had an interview last week, and that was the number they told me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No worries. September.
Was that a 3rd round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 am

wlp0001 wrote:I had my first round last week, but it was not the screener, it was a panel. Very confused... No word yet.
That happened with my first Bronx interview too. They must be in a rush to hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

triallawyer123

New

Post by triallawyer123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current Bronx ADA. DA Clark just announced among other things that 1) we're looking to hire ~120 ADAs for the fall of 2017, 2) we're getting our DA badges back, along with these new challenge coins to trade among LEAs, and 3) she's looking to really clean up, revamp, and expand our facilities.
120 is nuts, right? I don't think I've ever seen numbers for classes higher than the 60's. Can someone shed some light onto that?

Do you know how many offers they have given already? Also, do you know how long it normally takes to hear back after the panel?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm sorry, what do you mean about coins to trade among LEAs?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry, what do you mean about coins to trade among LEAs?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very exciting! What changes is she proposing for the facilities?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry, what do you mean about coins to trade among LEAs?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My impression is that they're creating a few new bureaus, so they need the extra space/need to set up for them. I don't remember all the ones I was told about, but I remember being told they want to make a computer crimes bureau and got a lot of money for that, as an example.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

triallawyer123

New

Post by triallawyer123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My impression is that they're creating a few new bureaus, so they need the extra space/need to set up for them. I don't remember all the ones I was told about, but I remember being told they want to make a computer crimes bureau and got a lot of money for that, as an example.

Do you know how long it will take for them to reach out after second round interviews, when they are executing to hire and what to expect from a third round interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:59 pm

QuickQuestionsRN wrote:I'm going to be interning with Manhattan DA's office. Does anyone have any suggestions for preferences for bureaus? We have the options of investigation, appellate, special narcotics, and general trial. I originally thought investigation because I'd like to work my way into major economic crimes but had a professor point out to me that I should try to see court as much as possible to make myself a more competitive hire.

Your professor is right. Go to a trial bureau (general, DV, sex crimes, or vehicle, etc.). As an intern, the experience you'd get at investigations, special narcotics, appeals wouldn't be worth it. Investigations are long term, and interns are short term, so the work you'd get would be listening to tape, or collating data. Plus they wouldn't be too comfortable talking to an uncleared intern about the investigations. Not too much actual legal stuff, maybe a memo. Appeals would have legal research, but all youd be doing is writing about appeal waivers or excessive sentences.

Trial bureaus are great because you can come out of the internship confident that you can calculate 30.30 time, argue facial insufficiency, know the standards for all the Huntley/Dunaway/Wade/etc. hearings. Plus you'll likely get to go on the record for some calendar calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Has anyone hired at Bronx DA gotten their start dates?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QuickQuestionsRN wrote:I'm going to be interning with Manhattan DA's office. Does anyone have any suggestions for preferences for bureaus? We have the options of investigation, appellate, special narcotics, and general trial. I originally thought investigation because I'd like to work my way into major economic crimes but had a professor point out to me that I should try to see court as much as possible to make myself a more competitive hire.

Your professor is right. Go to a trial bureau (general, DV, sex crimes, or vehicle, etc.). As an intern, the experience you'd get at investigations, special narcotics, appeals wouldn't be worth it. Investigations are long term, and interns are short term, so the work you'd get would be listening to tape, or collating data. Plus they wouldn't be too comfortable talking to an uncleared intern about the investigations. Not too much actual legal stuff, maybe a memo. Appeals would have legal research, but all youd be doing is writing about appeal waivers or excessive sentences.

Trial bureaus are great because you can come out of the internship confident that you can calculate 30.30 time, argue facial insufficiency, know the standards for all the Huntley/Dunaway/Wade/etc. hearings. Plus you'll likely get to go on the record for some calendar calls.

Disagree. I interned in Appeals over a summer (Queens, not Manhattan) and yes, although I wrote an appeal waiver and excessive sentence brief, I also wrote a 4th Amendment brief. Along with those, I also wrote a brief regarding sufficiency of accusatory instruments which, maybe not as sexy as other topics, requires your ability to analyze statutes and case law. You'd be surprised how many experienced ADAs don't know the standards governing the sufficiency of a complaint/information/indictment and use those terms interchangeably instead. Just like how some ADAs don't know how little it actually takes to be "ready" for 30.30 purposes.

As an intern, if you get to work on a substantive brief, even as assistance for one issue, you'll get your name in a reported decision. I got a kick out of searching my name in Westlaw and seeing results before I even graduated. To me, that's more impressive than being on the record on calendar call. I think student interns can argue cases in the Appellate Term if it gets scheduled fast enough. You'd also come out with 3-4 writing samples; its almost a 3-month lesson on effective legal writing.

I preferred Appeals because you come out of it with quantifiable work ("I wrote x briefs/motions that discussed __, ___, and/or ___.") that shows up on a resume and you can have a discussion about it, as opposed to saying "I know how to calculate 30.30."

OTOH, I also know interns that only did excessive sentence, appeal waivers, and FOIL, but those interns were the ones that had little interest in actually becoming a prosecutor. What you get out of it will depend on what you put into it. If you want to learn and do substantive work, it's definitely there for the taking, but you have to be pro-active about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Any news from the Queens Office? How many hiring-- if they are still hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone hired at Bronx DA gotten their start dates?
Heard they're staggered. Mine is September 5

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just got mine, it's October 30

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also got October 30. I was told it's by offer date (two groups of 60 new hires) and I got my offer late December/early January. Apparently that puts me in the 2nd group of new hires if that gives any indication as to how many offers Bronx has left in the process: they had hired over 60 of 120 by early Jan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also got October 30. I was told it's by offer date (two groups of 60 new hires) and I got my offer late December/early January. Apparently that puts me in the 2nd group of new hires if that gives any indication as to how many offers Bronx has left in the process: they had hired over 60 of 120 by early Jan.

legallyblonde88

New

Post by legallyblonde88 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Any other KCDA/Brooklyn new ADAs still on the thread? Any news of a start date yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:54 pm

^This is incorrect for the BX DA's Office, offer acceptance date does not affect when your start date will be. I know for certain a number of my friend accepted their offers the same date as I did, but they're start in October while my start date remains Sept. 5th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”