District Attorney Offices 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QuickQuestionsRN wrote:I'm going to be interning with Manhattan DA's office. Does anyone have any suggestions for preferences for bureaus? We have the options of investigation, appellate, special narcotics, and general trial. I originally thought investigation because I'd like to work my way into major economic crimes but had a professor point out to me that I should try to see court as much as possible to make myself a more competitive hire.

So... any general advice?

Anyone know if where you intern impacts where you wind up or if you get hired?
Your professor is right. Go to a trial bureau (general, DV, sex crimes, or vehicle, etc.). As an intern, the experience you'd get at investigations, special narcotics, appeals wouldn't be worth it. Investigations are long term, and interns are short term, so the work you'd get would be listening to tape, or collating data. Plus they wouldn't be too comfortable talking to an uncleared intern about the investigations. Not too much actual legal stuff, maybe a memo. Appeals would have legal research, but all youd be doing is writing about appeal waivers or excessive sentences.

Trial bureaus are great because you can come out of the internship confident that you can calculate 30.30 time, argue facial insufficiency, know the standards for all the Huntley/Dunaway/Wade/etc. hearings. Plus you'll likely get to go on the record for some calendar calls.

Disagree. I interned in Appeals over a summer (Queens, not Manhattan) and yes, although I wrote an appeal waiver and excessive sentence brief, I also wrote a 4th Amendment brief. Along with those, I also wrote a brief regarding sufficiency of accusatory instruments which, maybe not as sexy as other topics, requires your ability to analyze statutes and case law. You'd be surprised how many experienced ADAs don't know the standards governing the sufficiency of a complaint/information/indictment and use those terms interchangeably instead. Just like how some ADAs don't know how little it actually takes to be "ready" for 30.30 purposes.

As an intern, if you get to work on a substantive brief, even as assistance for one issue, you'll get your name in a reported decision. I got a kick out of searching my name in Westlaw and seeing results before I even graduated. To me, that's more impressive than being on the record on calendar call. I think student interns can argue cases in the Appellate Term if it gets scheduled fast enough. You'd also come out with 3-4 writing samples; its almost a 3-month lesson on effective legal writing.

I preferred Appeals because you come out of it with quantifiable work ("I wrote x briefs/motions that discussed __, ___, and/or ___.") that shows up on a resume and you can have a discussion about it, as opposed to saying "I know how to calculate 30.30."

OTOH, I also know interns that only did excessive sentence, appeal waivers, and FOIL, but those interns were the ones that had little interest in actually becoming a prosecutor. What you get out of it will depend on what you put into it. If you want to learn and do substantive work, it's definitely there for the taking, but you have to be pro-active about it.
This is very helpful. I know for at least NY County ADA that a more limited number of people are chosen for the Appeals Bureau (personally know an ADA who worked there for over 10 years who advised me of same). Because it's more substantive legal research and writing, they usually place people with stronger legal writing skills into the Appeals Bureau (this is where Law review/Journal, RA positions, and solid Legal writing grades may tend to work towards the intern favor). In the end, I would recommend asking around and choose based on what may interest you most.

Personally, I chose Appeals because I could definitely attain solid writing sample out of it, and the potential work seemed to interest me more. And coming out with "quantifiable work" seemed more appealing for me. In sum, there's not the "best" bureau. You should come out with some meaningful work experience not just merely listed on a resume, but which you could articulate to demonstrate interest for future employment purposes.
Anon who advised the intern applicant to go trial bureau here.

My reasoning is that wayyy more people are hired to be trial assistants. Most brand new appeals assistants (at least in my office) clerked at an appellate court prior to starting. More are transferred there internally. If your resume comes off as appeals-heavy you run the risk of coming off as "appeals or bust" or not a "personality fit" for the insanity of being a trial assistant.

I'm currently an appeals ADA. I've actually talked to encore about it previously.

Had no real strong desire to go there, I just wanted a job. I interned at a trial bureau during the school year and ghost-wrote a ton of motion responses, and learned everything there is to know about 30.30 time, facial sufficiency, clayton motions, motions to sever, motions to dismiss as void for vagueness. . . you get the idea. My references essentially told everyone that I was practice ready and in interviews, it showed. I could connect with the interviewers because every trial assistant has written a version of these motions. They could tell instantly that I wasn't bullshitting them and could exude confidence and competence. If I only had some weight of the evidence brief behind me or some very granular aspect of how a defect in 190.50 notice can be preserved for review, it would be pointless because, odds are, I would be the only one in that room that familiar with the issue. Even if you had an appeals assistant on the panel, they would be unfamiliar with it. Hell, my eyes are even starting to glaze over.

I guess what I'm saying is that interning at a trial bureau does not foreclose your chances of going into appeals, but interning at appeals may hurt your chances of presenting as being able to go into a trial bureau (where the greater demand is). Your ultimate goal is to get hired first, worry about the bureau you get into after. Hiring in these offices can be somewhat of a black box, but at the end of the day you still have to think about the numbers and maximizing your chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Of course the ultimate goal is to get hired (that is rhetorical). But you can only maximize your chances by being a strong candidate. In addition, a person's goals could change whereas the individual may pursue other career paths.

Going back to QuickQuestionsRN's inquiry, he/she asked: "Does anyone have any suggestions for preferences for bureaus?"

Narrow down the couple of bureaus which interest you most, do some research on each bureau, factor in your "personal" preference(s), work hard, take on as much as you can, and leave with plenty of experience and work product which you could intelligently discuss in the future.

Choosing one bureau over the other for a summer internship will not hinder your chances for future employment unless you completely draw the ball.

You cannot go wrong whether you choose Trials or Appeals. It will be a tremendous learning experience in contrast to law school where everything is taught in a vacuum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Anyone know what's going on with queens da?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Anyone heard from Cook County?

triallawyer123

New

Post by triallawyer123 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wlp0001 wrote:I had my first round last week, but it was not the screener, it was a panel. Very confused... No word yet.
That happened with my first Bronx interview too. They must be in a rush to hire.
Just got a call today for final round. Recap:

First interview was on 3/22/2017, which was the panel NOT the screener.

Next interview is on 4/13, the final interview. Any tips?

How did the final round go? I still havent received any information and I had my panel about a month ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Has anyone heard back from Queens DA regarding offers?

The semester is coming to an end.....I am worried. Do DA offices make offers throughout the summer? Is there any hope now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am

Has anyone gotten anything in writing from Brooklyn? I accepted an offer a few months ago and haven't received anything in writing yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten anything in writing from Brooklyn? I accepted an offer a few months ago and haven't received anything in writing yet.
I got my letter in the mail about two months after I accepted my offer. Still haven't heard about a start date yet.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten anything in writing from Brooklyn? I accepted an offer a few months ago and haven't received anything in writing yet.
same situation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I got my letter in the mail about two months after I accepted my offer. Still haven't heard about a start date yet.
Like literally in two months or give or take a couple weeks?

Somewhat neurotic distinction but I don't know at what point I should be reaching out to see if I'm going to get one (or if I should reach out at all).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Like literally in two months or give or take a couple weeks?

Somewhat neurotic distinction but I don't know at what point I should be reaching out to see if I'm going to get one (or if I should reach out at all).
Two months give or take a couple weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 pm

for those going to brooklyn, where are you planning on living? not familiar with the area so have been looking around. the office is right by a subway station which is nice so that opens up a few neighborhoods. any suggestions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for those going to brooklyn, where are you planning on living? not familiar with the area so have been looking around. the office is right by a subway station which is nice so that opens up a few neighborhoods. any suggestions?
I'm probably moving to Inwood/WH or Sunnyside/Woodside. Haven't looked at any apartments in either area recently, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Does anyone have any update from Queens DA? got a rejection from Suffolk (NY) 3 weeks ago. Applied to Staten Island DA but have not heard back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any update from Queens DA? got a rejection from Suffolk (NY) 3 weeks ago. Applied to Staten Island DA but have not heard back.
Doesn't RC require bar passage?

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from Queens DA regarding offers?

The semester is coming to an end.....I am worried. Do DA offices make offers throughout the summer? Is there any hope now?
I got my offer the day before graduation. Talk about stressful... I know it probably doesn't ease any nerves, but I'm sure they're still making offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what's going on with queens da?
I think I'm on hold with them - I know they have to still figure out how many spots they have to hire people. Has anyone heard anything recently from them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:15 am

Recently updated DANY (Manhattan) with an award I received for my file. They emailed me back and said thanks and we will update BUT obviously I still haven't heard from them as of yet either a yes or a no. Does this mean that they're still hiring? Do they ever hire this late in the game? I am so confused as to what my application is doing over there...stuck in some awful limbo...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I think I'm on hold with them - I know they have to still figure out how many spots they have to hire people. Has anyone heard anything recently from them?
I checked in with them on Thursday.. said they have no idea of what is going on. I hate hearing that. I was told that they are interviewing a couple of more people. But they don't know how many they are hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I checked in with them on Thursday.. said they have no idea of what is going on. I hate hearing that. I was told that they are interviewing a couple of more people. But they don't know how many they are hiring.
FRUSTRATING. I get the feeling that if they're still interviewing they must have SOME spots, but it would be nice to know an approximation/when they plan to make moves on these spots. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
FRUSTRATING. I get the feeling that if they're still interviewing they must have SOME spots, but it would be nice to know an approximation/when they plan to make moves on these spots. :?
I know.. I wish they would let us know what is happebeibg.. and whether the spots for the fall class have filled up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Does anyone know the salary difference at Bronx DA before and after bar passage, if there is one?

Also does that change go into effect once bar results are released or after you're admitted to the bar?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the salary difference at Bronx DA before and after bar passage, if there is one?

Also does that change go into effect once bar results are released or after you're admitted to the bar?
It's once you submit your ny bar certificate of good standing (so after admission). I think the bump is roughly 2k but dont remember.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Does anyone know if KCDA/Brooklyn gives a bump after bar admission? Or are we stuck at $60k?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the salary difference at Bronx DA before and after bar passage, if there is one?

~61k to ~63k. Upon admission to bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”