District Attorney Offices 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates regarding offers from NYC DA's offices (offers, rejections, hearing nothing after the final round).
My final round in Queens was the week before thanksgiving and I have heard nothing back yet.
My final round in the Bronx was mid december, but have heard nothing back yet.
I'm going to say that, like one of the other (former?) ADA's from the Bronx said, the Bronx must be disappointed as hell with the candidates (of which I am one) because I just logged onto my school's job posting board and the Bronx posted a job posting for ADA's on the 12th and it closes closes at the end of February. Pity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 am

did anyone else just get that email from queens?

what is a panel interview at queens like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Got ding email from Bronx DA today.

legallyblonde88

New

Post by legallyblonde88 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did anyone else just get that email from queens?

I can only speak from my own experience, but my panel consisted of one very senior DA and one other DA. Be prepared to get a lot of pushback on your hypo answers - they spent a good amount of time trying to get me to change my original response to how i'd handle a case, but I stuck to my guns and it ultimately worked out very well for me. Stay calm and don't take it personally when they attack your answers. Apart from the good cop/bad cop routine, everyone I've interacted with at Queens was exceptionally nice. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:08 am

legallyblonde88 wrote:

I can only speak from my own experience, but my panel consisted of one very senior DA and one other DA. Be prepared to get a lot of pushback on your hypo answers - they spent a good amount of time trying to get me to change my original response to how i'd handle a case, but I stuck to my guns and it ultimately worked out very well for me. Stay calm and don't take it personally when they attack your answers. Apart from the good cop/bad cop routine, everyone I've interacted with at Queens was exceptionally nice. Good luck!
Similar experience here.

Got a big dumb meathead vibe at the interview though.

Other than that, literally everyone else was really really nice in the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 am

For anyone else who has received an offer with the Bronx, did you receive any timeline on when more information would come? (Official start date, benefits, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone else who has received an offer with the Bronx, did you receive any timeline on when more information would come? (Official start date, benefits, etc.)
I spoke on the phone with legal recruiting and they said more information would come in April

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone else who has received an offer with the Bronx, did you receive any timeline on when more information would come? (Official start date, benefits, etc.)
I spoke on the phone with legal recruiting and they said more information would come in April
Same for me. Anyone know when we can request a certain group? Is that April as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Anyone hear anything from Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx DA about third rounds? How long does it typically take for these offices to get back to you (if they're going to get back to you)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Anyone have any info on Miami third round? Offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got ding email from Bronx DA today.
After your second or third round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 pm

I got hired in Manhattan in the beginning of November. I also got an offer for a second round panel interview in Queens and Brooklyn that same week, and a third round in the Bronx with the DA the next week (because they apparently missed my email withdrawing even though they responded to it?). For people wondering about how long it takes the Bronx to get back about third rounds though, they offered it to me about two weeks after my panel interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same for me. Anyone know when we can request a certain group? Is that April as well?
Im guessing you mean bureau like sex crimes, trial, appeals, etc.?

Not until orientation. They can't predict the needs of each bureau this far out.

There are rare extraordinary exceptions, but they are rare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Sorry for the incredibly stupid question, but the CSO at my school is beyond worthless and has no information about this. I'm guessing that most DA offices besides the ones listed in the OP do entry level hiring either in the summer around bar season or randomly throughout the year? I remember seeing that the LA County DA's office was looking for entry level positions around late November, but it only wanted licensed attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm going to say that, like one of the other (former?) ADA's from the Bronx said, the Bronx must be disappointed as hell with the candidates (of which I am one) because I just logged onto my school's job posting board and the Bronx posted a job posting for ADA's on the 12th and it closes closes at the end of February. Pity.
BXADA here. I was a little surprised to see people coming in for first round interviews this week (if one of you are reading this, good luck!).

I feel like it's a combination of what you mentioned and our attempt to expand our overall personnel to match our vertical caseload.

Personally, even if you were rejected already, I would re-apply. I can not think of a single downside.
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the incredibly stupid question, but the CSO at my school is beyond worthless and has no information about this. I'm guessing that most DA offices besides the ones listed in the OP do entry level hiring either in the summer around bar season or randomly throughout the year? I remember seeing that the LA County DA's office was looking for entry level positions around late November, but it only wanted licensed attorneys.
Not stupid. From my research from when I was in Law School, most offices hire licensed attorneys on a rolling basis to match the needs of the office. Most do not have a robust "entry level" hiring or training scheme. From what I recall, some will "let you" volunteer while you wait for admission.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Any tips for a DA Clark interview?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 am

I have a Nassau panel coming up; anything unusual I should expect, or should it be pretty straightforward?

aovs1123

New

Post by aovs1123 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any info on Miami third round? Offers?
Had second/third round first week of January. Submitted paperwork about a week later but haven't heard anything back. Recruiter said he'd report back once there was movement on my app. Any other Miami-Dade news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got ding email from Bronx DA today.
After your second or third round?
About a month after my third round. Considered reapplying but I'm currently clerking while studying for the Feb bar. And, honestly, after being rejected I was relieved I wouldn't have to sign up for the MPRE and the NY's additional mini-bar course and take them 3 weeks after taking the bar with a full time job :lol: I'll just chalk it up to a lose 'cause after the whole four months of going back and forth on interviews from a few hours away... I'm ehh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Awesome thanks! Are the hypos your typical Brady, Giglio type?
Anonymous User wrote:
legallyblonde88 wrote:

Similar experience here.

Got a big dumb meathead vibe at the interview though.

Other than that, literally everyone else was really really nice in the process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Here's a touchy question:

I'm a PoC. I've got some offers from a few offices, and given the election we just had and some of the sentiments that are bubbling up to the surface, I just wanted to ask other PoC ADAs: Have you guys generally felt that all the offices you have worked with (and the people you've worked with) have been no more difficult with you than they'd be if you weren't a PoC? Do certain offices have more PoC than others? Are there any offices that you feel have been difficult for you to advance within? Any jurisdictions (NYC, Upstate NY, LI, Philly, Miami) where you feel being a PoC made it difficult to get witnesses to talk to you/POs to cooperate with you/juries to believe you/etc.? Am I being paranoid for being worried about this?

I'm not really worried about blatant racism in the office (I assume if I get through the interview rounds they can't be that bad), so much as whether the little things happen, and whether it gets to be too much in certain offices.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 am

Hey all, former Queens ADA/current NJ AP here. Happy to answer any questions!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:40 am

mhd08 wrote:Hey all, former Queens ADA/current NJ AP here. Happy to answer any questions!
Current ADA (not at queens), how was the hunt for exit options?
Were you licensed in nj first?
Was it a Bureau to Bureau lateral (e.g. DV to DV)?
Does Richard Brown live off the souls of interns?

EDIT: Isn't Helene the best?

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mhd08 wrote:Hey all, former Queens ADA/current NJ AP here. Happy to answer any questions!
Current ADA (not at queens), how was the hunt for exit options?
Were you licensed in nj first?
Was it a Bureau to Bureau lateral (e.g. DV to DV)?
Does Richard Brown live off the souls of interns?

EDIT: Isn't Helene the best?
Ha, yes Helene is the best! She was my lifeline during the interview process. I was already licensed in NJ so that obviously made the process a lot easier. My husband and I are from NJ so I always knew there was a chance I'd go back.

It was supposed to be a bureau to bureau transfer (felony trial part to trial part), but due to bail reform in NJ, there were unanticipated changes so I had to go where the office had a need, which is pre-trial. So I solely do grand jury and initial and detention hearings (glorified remand applications) on incoming cases. I was promised a transfer to trials within the next year so we'll see. Bail reform really changed a lot, and it's been a challenge to say the least to keep up with it.

Looking for exit options wasn't terrible, it took about two months between sending out apps and getting an offer. It took about a month to start hearing back from places. I knew I wanted NJ and I also knew I wanted to stay in prosecution so I just applied across the board to as many NJ prosecutor's office's as possible and got interviews at a couple different offices. Once the interviews started it was super quick. I'm talking one week between initial interview and offer at my new office.

And yes, Richard Brown must because dam he's been around a long time. Everyone in that office LOVES their interns. They were treated like gold in my first bureau. They churned out so much work for us I can't really complain.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”