District Attorney Offices 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 am

Anonymous Defender wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interesting, thanks.

As an estimate, how much does the average NYC ADA make after 5 years? 10 years? How long does it take to make $80k+?

It's hard to predict because it's dependent on the city budget. Unlike the federal system, there is no guaranteed raise after so many years. There was a time where offices were rarely giving out raises, but recently, I've had one or two 5% increases every year since I started in 2014.

It may also depend on which office. Some offices prefer not to give out individual raises (except in the case of promotions, of course), and instead raises everybody's salary by a fixed percentage. There's definitely pros/cons to an across-the-board raise versus a merit-based system though.
You prosecutors are not very resourceful, are you? seethroughny!
Yeah as other anon mentioned, that's pretty much useless to me unless I know the person and therefore know how many years they've been there. A lot of people in the office don't use social media or haven't updated it in forever, so I also wouldn't know if they earn $X because they got promoted or if it's because everyone who lasts that long gets $X. I'd have to FB/LinkedIn stalk several people to try and figure it out. Which is a waste of time if I can ask someone here to give me ballparks.

In any case the "it depends" answers were helpful, thanks.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 am

encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interesting, thanks.

As an estimate, how much does the average NYC ADA make after 5 years? 10 years? How long does it take to make $80k+?

It's hard to predict because it's dependent on the city budget. Unlike the federal system, there is no guaranteed raise after so many years. There was a time where offices were rarely giving out raises, but recently, I've had one or two 5% increases every year since I started in 2014.

It may also depend on which office. Some offices prefer not to give out individual raises (except in the case of promotions, of course), and instead raises everybody's salary by a fixed percentage. There's definitely pros/cons to an across-the-board raise versus a merit-based system though.
Yeah, I'm looking, but it doesn't show my history of raises, projected raise dates, or how long I've been working there. Maybe there's some options to look up all that data, but it seems much easier to just ask here.

edit: btw, person who originally asked about the salary information, PM me.

Anonymous Defender

New

Post by Anonymous Defender » Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 pm

encore1101 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interesting, thanks.

Yeah, I'm looking, but it doesn't show my history of raises, projected raise dates, or how long I've been working there. Maybe there's some options to look up all that data, but it seems much easier to just ask here.

edit: btw, person who originally asked about the salary information, PM me.
Yes because DA's are sooooooooooooo unpredictable! hahaha! I think what you guys are expecting to hear is you will be rich in 2 years, everyone you throw in jail will actually be guilty, and everyone will sing your name in glory.

user has been outed for anon abuse

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Yes because DA's are sooooooooooooo unpredictable! hahaha! I think what you guys are expecting to hear is you will be rich in 2 years, everyone you throw in jail will actually be guilty, and everyone will sing your name in glory.

Don't be butthurt your know-it-all suggestion was a complete miss.

Anonymous Defender

New

Post by Anonymous Defender » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Yes because DA's are sooooooooooooo unpredictable! hahaha! I think what you guys are expecting to hear is you will be rich in 2 years, everyone you throw in jail will actually be guilty, and everyone will sing your name in glory.

Past performance is a good indication of future performance. And what PD salary did you want?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous Defender, you can't come into this thread and snark at prosecutors just because you don't like them (ditto if any prosecutors went into the public defender thread and did the same). Continuing to do so will result in a ban.

Anonymous Defender

New

Post by Anonymous Defender » Tue May 09, 2017 2:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Anonymous Defender, you can't come into this thread and snark at prosecutors just because you don't like them (ditto if any prosecutors went into the public defender thread and did the same). Continuing to do so will result in a ban.

"you can't come into this thread and snark at prosecutors just because you don't like them" Not the best characterization, but understood.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 2:36 pm

encore1101 wrote:

Past performance is a good indication of future performance. And what PD salary did you want?
LAS or the defender services around NYC(Brooklyn/Bronx/Manhattan etc) I don't know if there is a database for them like Seethroughny for city employees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 am

Friends, I thought my life was doomed when I fell out of top third after 1L at a T3. I am probably graduating at a median but landed a job with a SAO at one of the biggest cities in the east coast. Keep your head up and keep applying. The office actually pays 39K before you pass your bar and when you pass it goes up to 69K. The office also gives you time off for bar prep (5 weeks / unpaid). If you guys have any questions I am happy to answer. (it's not one of the DA office mentioned in this thread).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Anyone get any offers from any NYC Da's offices? I am waiting on Queens....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Has anyone heard anything from any NYC DA office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 am

Has anyone here taken the Queen's Domestic Violence Externship/Clinic through St. John's or Columbia?

I have a busy Fall semester lined up, but if it would really strengthen my applications, I'd do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone here taken the Queen's Domestic Violence Externship/Clinic through St. John's or Columbia?

I have a busy Fall semester lined up, but if it would really strengthen my applications, I'd do it.

Queens ADA here. I haven't but that clinic (along with the one offered at Fordham) is one of the best ways to get hired at Queens. Several members of each class previously participated in that program.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Anyone know if Queens DA is finished picking the fall class yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Completely new to this thread. 2016 graduate with one year of big law experience and a federal clerkship beginning in Fall 18. I want to be an ADA in New York or LA after my clerkship. Is it possible to get hired even though I'll be leaving in a little over a year? Clerkship aside, is it too late in the cycle? As I said, completely new to the ADA application / hiring scene.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Completely new to this thread. 2016 graduate with one year of big law experience and a federal clerkship beginning in Fall 18. I want to be an ADA in New York or LA after my clerkship. Is it possible to get hired even though I'll be leaving in a little over a year? Clerkship aside, is it too late in the cycle? As I said, completely new to the ADA application / hiring scene.
You're probably way too late in the cycle (it started back in September), but I don't have inside knowledge of where hiring is right now for every office in NY. There's also a 3-year commitment in NYC (and I'd imagine there are also commitments at other large offices as well). I don't know specifically what happens if you break your commitment, other than that they will disclose to future employers that you broke your commitment if asked, though.

So I don't think it would make much sense to apply now. Best you could probably hope for is for an office to agree to take you on as an unpaid volunteer attorney.

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue May 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi, anyone know what is going on with the Queens DA's office? (still taking ADAs?) I have been on hold since the end of november.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Still no word on a start date for KCDA. Has anyone had any contact from HR regarding new hire paperwork or anything like that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still no word on a start date for KCDA. Has anyone had any contact from HR regarding new hire paperwork or anything like that?
If you're curious you could just reach out to your contact there. They're generally pretty nice about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Any offers from any NYC Da's offices lately? Or are they done hiring for the fall class? I have been waiting for Queens and Staten Island.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Did anyone get that email from Queens DA?.... I wonder how many of us are still waiting to hear back. This is torture. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Still no word on a start date for KCDA. Has anyone had any contact from HR regarding new hire paperwork or anything like that?
I got a late September start date. I had to ask them for it though; I didn't ask if they're still hiring or just waiting a bit longer before they bring everyone in for onboarding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm

does anyone know what is going on at the Queens DA? Still hiring for the fall class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:45 am

Just got a rejection email from KCDA. I applied to them in October and never heard a peep until this. Albeit, didn't follow up because I got an offer elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:55 am

queens! what is going on? got the email 2 weeks or so regarding them not knowing what's going on. does anyone have any idea how many of us are getting these emails?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”