District Attorney Offices 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi Everyone. I figured I'd go ahead and pull the trigger here. I found last year's thread invaluable in learning about the process and updating each-other on progress.

Another iteration of this thread lists these offices as the Pre-Bar hiring Offices:

Cook County State's Attorney - Chicago, IL
Miami-Dade Office of the State Attorney - Miami, FL
Philadelphia District Attorney's Office - Philadelphia, PA
District Attorney of New York (Manhattan) - NY, NY
Bronx District Attorney - Bronx, NY
Nassau County District Attorney - Long Island, NY
Kings County District Attorney (Brooklyn) - Brooklyn, NY
Queens County District Attorney - Queens, NY
Suffolk County District Attorney - Long Island, NY
Suffolk County District Attorney - Boston, MA
King County (Seattle) - Seattle, WA

In addition, a fair amount of people in these offices tend to lurk here and likely would be able to address any questions. Personally, I was just hired at one of the NYC offices last year and start this fall. I'll be happy to give you guys some limited insight without "outing" myself.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks! I have screeners scheduled for Queens and Kings so far; any tips?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 am

Hey, I'm really interested in becoming an assistant district attorney. It would be my dream first job. I am wondering if you could offer some window as to what I'd need (grade wise, experience wise, etc) to get hired.

FYI I'm a 2L at a T20 regional with a B average. I worked at the AG's office for like 6 months. Could you give some advice on what I should do from now on?

Since my school is regional, I was wondering if I should only apply to DA offices in state or should I feel comfortable branching out to other states I'm interested in?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! I have screeners scheduled for Queens and Kings so far; any tips?
These are going to be relatively easy and short. At the end of the day they want people who have a demonstrated interest in NYC prosecution. It's very conversational and you pretty much just talk about your resume and past internships. You are going to need to have an answer to "Why Prosecution?" and "Why Queens/Kings County?" Learn a little bit about the offices and the boroughs. I've heard stories of people getting dinged because they didn't know the actual DA's name. You may get a "light" hypo. Nothing too tricky, just talk it out. In later interviews you'll get hypos with like 10 minutes of fact pattern. Here, you likely won't.

You might think you have to send a thank you email later. People do it, I think it's a waste of time for me and the interviewer. I never did it and it never hurt me.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! I have screeners scheduled for Queens and Kings so far; any tips?
These are going to be relatively easy and short. At the end of the day they want people who have a demonstrated interest in NYC prosecution. It's very conversational and you pretty much just talk about your resume and past internships. You are going to need to have an answer to "Why Prosecution?" and "Why Queens/Kings County?" Learn a little bit about the offices and the boroughs. I've heard stories of people getting dinged because they didn't know the actual DA's name. You may get a "light" hypo. Nothing too tricky, just talk it out. In later interviews you'll get hypos with like 10 minutes of fact pattern. Here, you likely won't.

You might think you have to send a thank you email later. People do it, I think it's a waste of time for me and the interviewer. I never did it and it never hurt me.

Also wanted to add that the interviewers generally won't care if you get the answer right. Nobody expects you to have the absolute correct answer, even some hired ADAs can't express criminal procedure off the top of their head. The exception, of course, is if your answer is just totally off the wall, evening news crazy.

Instead, from my experience, they look at your thought process. Do you err on the side of caution? Do you throw a little more caution to the wind? What is the practical implication of your decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I'm really interested in becoming an assistant district attorney. It would be my dream first job. I am wondering if you could offer some window as to what I'd need (grade wise, experience wise, etc) to get hired.

FYI I'm a 2L at a T20 regional with a B average. I worked at the AG's office for like 6 months. Could you give some advice on what I should do from now on?

Since my school is regional, I was wondering if I should only apply to DA offices in state or should I feel comfortable branching out to other states I'm interested in?

Thanks!
I can only really speak to the NYC offices. They hire from all over the country, at all "tiers".

The most important piece of advice I can give to those looking to become prosecutors is to spend every semester interning somewhere. I interned at places straight through from 1L summer until I got a job offer at the end of 3L fall. It was my primary concern in registering for classes/scheduling. It can be at PD offices, DA offices, or for judges. Just anything where you work with criminal law is sufficient for prosecutor offices. They really want to see commitment to working in Crim. Law.

GPA does not really matter after you get your first screener. Some offices will have a cut-off, but it will be pretty low (like 3.0 or top half) and not strictly enforced.

In what I have seen among my classmates, worthwhile experience that demonstrates commitment to criminal practice and gov't service trumps GPA every single time. Personally my GPA was a dumpster fire when I started applying, but I had great internships, references, and tangible work products (e.g. a winning motion) that I could talk about in interviews. I know for a fact I had a lower GPA than other applicants from my law school (Ranked >100) class that struck out at these offices. I've heard similar stories from other ADAs about their GPAs.

However, there are still classes where it looks good if you do well. Offices look at Evidence primarily, then Crim Pro, then Crim Law. Do moot court or trial team if you can. If your school has a trial advocacy seminar, you better register for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Does appellate advocacy look good for ADA (or AUSA)? Deciding whether to take that or a different class that is on the bar, but that I have no interest in taking whatsoever, and that was barely covered in the last few tests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does appellate advocacy look good for ADA (or AUSA)? Deciding whether to take that or a different class that is on the bar, but that I have no interest in taking whatsoever, and that was barely covered in the last few tests.
I dont think it would matter too much either way. If you talk about it in your interview, you could be placed in an appeals bureau. A lot of people do moot court which covers a lot of appellate advocacy anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I interned at an NYC DA's office 2L summer and was told that post-interview thank you cards hurt applicants far, far more often than they help (typos, spelling errors, tone, etc). I don't think it's worth it.

Other typical questions are going to be how you became interested in prosecution, if you're interested in a specific specialty . . . I was asked in Brooklyn what classes I've taken that would be most valuable for me as an ADA (they also asked me this when I applied for a college internship, so they seem to be fond of it).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:30 pm

fauxpsych wrote:
The most important piece of advice I can give to those looking to become prosecutors is to spend every semester interning somewhere. I interned at places straight through from 1L summer until I got a job offer at the end of 3L fall. It was my primary concern in registering for classes/scheduling. It can be at PD offices, DA offices, or for judges. Just anything where you work with criminal law is sufficient for prosecutor offices. They really want to see commitment to working in Crim. Law.

. . .

However, there are still classes where it looks good if you do well. Offices look at Evidence primarily, then Crim Pro, then Crim Law. Do moot court or trial team if you can. If your school has a trial advocacy seminar, you better register for it.
Take crim pro and evidence for sure asap - it makes you a much stronger intern. Even if you're in a state with weird rules, being able to immediately look up the federal case on an issue and shepardize for your state makes motion writing faster.

Any experience is great (and I second getting as much as humanly possible and prioritizing it above all else), but do aim for internships with DA's offices that are going to give you substantive experience wherever possible. I interned in one more "prestigious office" that didn't really having me doing anything practical, and then a significantly less prestigious one that treated me like an ADA. Guess which one I talked about more in interviews - I also think it helped me a ton that I could respond to hypos with "well, when this situation actually happened to me, here's what I did..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:45 pm

So I heard that Kings County has their 2L (Rising 3L) summer interns interviewing for full time spots already? Like your last day is spent interviewing? This seems different than other years. Any KCDA summers want to chime in? Seems like a move to a firm SA model like the NY Law Department.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I heard that Kings County has their 2L (Rising 3L) summer interns interviewing for full time spots already? Like your last day is spent interviewing? This seems different than other years. Any KCDA summers want to chime in? Seems like a move to a firm SA model like the NY Law Department.
Last year my career office was under the impression that Brooklyn was heavily recruiting from their 2L intern class, at least relative to other NYC DA offices (beyond anecdotal evidence I can't confirm whether that panned out). Panel interviews began around the same time you are mentioning. I ended up accepting another offer, but despite the early start to the process, I know several people who continued the process into the following year before receiving offers. So, my best guess based on all this is that KCDA places much more of a premium on having interned there than the other offices, but it is not quite a SA/NYLD model yet (unless things have rapidly changed since the last hiring cycle).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 pm

King County - Seattle, WA is also pre-bar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote: So, my best guess based on all this is that KCDA places much more of a premium on having interned there than the other offices, but it is not quite a SA/NYLD model yet (unless things have rapidly changed since the last hiring cycle).
That's the thing, I think they are moving towards placing that premium only on the 2L summer class, rather than interning there in general. Meaning if you want to work in KCDA, you have to hustle to get in for your 2L summer. It also looks like they changed their summer program and have them follow a case from start to finish and perform a mock hearing at the end.

Looking back to my cycle (last year), the only person from my Law School Class with a KCDA offer was a 2L summer. I had nearly a full year of experience interning at KCDA, but missed out on the 2L summer and my application for full time stalled sometime in October (still no rejection even).

I'm just curious to see how this year's hiring plays out especially in light of all the attrition issues the office seems to be having.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: So, my best guess based on all this is that KCDA places much more of a premium on having interned there than the other offices, but it is not quite a SA/NYLD model yet (unless things have rapidly changed since the last hiring cycle).
That's the thing, I think they are moving towards placing that premium only on the 2L summer class, rather than interning there in general. Meaning if you want to work in KCDA, you have to hustle to get in for your 2L summer. It also looks like they changed their summer program and have them follow a case from start to finish and perform a mock hearing at the end.

Looking back to my cycle (last year), the only person from my Law School Class with a KCDA offer was a 2L summer. I had nearly a full year of experience interning at KCDA, but missed out on the 2L summer and my application for full time stalled sometime in October (still no rejection even).

I'm just curious to see how this year's hiring plays out especially in light of all the attrition issues the office seems to be having.
FWIW, this past cycle I received an offer from Brooklyn (I accepted, start next month) despite having never interned/summered there. One of my friends (different school) also received an offer and didn't intern/summer there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Deeply sorry if this is off-topic, but does anyone know how/if King County hires post-clerkship/laterally? Any info at all would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi, do you have any advice when it comes to writing the statement of interest for a DA's Office?

Also, I missed the OCI Deadline for Nassau-- do you think I can still apply (their website says the applications are open till November)... any idea if this will hurt me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Has anyone who applied to Kings County heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, do you have any advice when it comes to writing the statement of interest for a DA's Office?
I treated it similarly to a cover letter:

-How I first became interested in prosecution (10%)
-Why I'm still interested in prosecution (15%)
-Look see I have experience! (50%)
-Why that office in particular (25%)

stealthgunner

New

Post by stealthgunner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:27 pm

fauxpsych wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I'm really interested in becoming an assistant district attorney. It would be my dream first job. I am wondering if you could offer some window as to what I'd need (grade wise, experience wise, etc) to get hired.

Thanks!
I can only really speak to the NYC offices. They hire from all over the country, at all "tiers".

GPA does not really matter after you get your first screener. Some offices will have a cut-off, but it will be pretty low (like 3.0 or top half) and not strictly enforced.

In what I have seen among my classmates, worthwhile experience that demonstrates commitment to criminal practice and gov't service trumps GPA every single time. Personally my GPA was a dumpster fire when I started applying, but I had great internships, references, and tangible work products (e.g. a winning motion) that I could talk about in interviews. I know for a fact I had a lower GPA than other applicants from my law school (Ranked >100) class that struck out at these offices. I've heard similar stories from other ADAs about their GPAs.

What office are you at? I think it would be very helpful to know whether its Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, or Brooklyn. Isn't Manhattan pretty prestigious?

stealthgunner

New

Post by stealthgunner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi, do you have any advice when it comes to writing the statement of interest for a DA's Office?
I treated it similarly to a cover letter:

-How I first became interested in prosecution (10%)
-Why I'm still interested in prosecution (15%)
-Look see I have experience! (50%)
-Why that office in particular (25%)
This is good, however, your introduction should immediately state your worth. Ex: "Dear Benevolent Hirer: I am a third year student at X University, the Senior Managing Editor of the Journal of Law, a student attorney in the University Litigation Clinic, and published. I am writing to express my strong desire to serve as an Assistant District Attorney." State your interest in NYC and the office.

Then discuss your experience, but not in a resume recitation-type way. Identify the skills you've gained and how you will leverage those skills for your employer. Keep it interesting. Don't bore the reader. And it's okay to be kinda funny. But absolutely display sincerity and passion (if you have any).

Finally, discuss what is enclosed in your application by identifying the document, the letter of recommendation and recommender, the writing sample and its topic.

Admittedly, this is the federal clerkship cover letter model. Even so, it works!

I've gotten a ton of interviews and a ton of rejections. I've lost confidence and refined my approach. Eventually I landed my dream first job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 pm

How are the California appliers doing? I just finished Santa Barbara's case examination question, and have an interview with Stanislaus this week.

What type of questions should I expect during the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 pm

stealthgunner wrote:
fauxpsych wrote:

Thanks!

What office are you at? I think it would be very helpful to know whether its Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, or Brooklyn. Isn't Manhattan pretty prestigious?
DANY's prestigious and probably cares more about grades than the others. But we have people from all tiers of law schools, practical experience is valued significantly, significantly more than academic prestige. I applied to all the NYC offices and OP's advice seems universally applicable to me.

Commitment to prosecution (which is demonstrated by experience) is also a big factor - no office wants someone who is just using them as a stepping stone. I had high grades at a good school and was told that that factor in isolation wasn't necessarily a positive because of the risk offices would think I was using them for bigger/better things.

I'm not claiming doing poorly in school raises your chances (I'm sure in conjunction with my experience, my grades were a plus). But if your options are working full time at your prosecution clinic (and risking lower grades because of it) or law review, take the clinic every single time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:21 pm

fauxpsych wrote:

Thanks!

What do you do if you're one of those unfortunate saps who realizes halfway through 2L summer that they might want to go an ADA route after all? Besides trying really hard to get 3L internships/having crim classes on my transcript, is there anything else I can do to convince any of the offices that I legitimately want the job?

Also as an unrelated question, do people ever move between offices (e.g., move from Bronx DA to Manhattan DA, etc.)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Also as an unrelated question, do people ever move between offices (e.g., move from Bronx DA to Manhattan DA, etc.)?

Yeah, all the time.
Anonymous User wrote: What do you do if you're one of those unfortunate saps who realizes halfway through 2L summer that they might want to go an ADA route after all?
It depends on where you are at, if you are PD, it's not as big of a deal. You have a demonstrated commitment to crim law.

If you are at a civil firm or other govt agency, you are in for an uphill battle because you are directly competing against people who have had a sustained and demonstrated interest in the field. Considering screeners for the big offices start now, a clinic (or 3L fall internship) might be too late to get your foot in the door. EDIT BECAUSE I SUBMITTED INSTEAD OF PREVIEWING: You should still apply, but know that you have to spin a great pitch for yourself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”