DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
catinthewall

Bronze

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by catinthewall » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming that any hiring freeze is not retroactive, and our jobs are safe in that sense, how common are RIFs or layoffs in the fed govt? When is the last time a significant number of federal employees were laid off?
Let me google that for you...

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... -in-force/

It has happened as recently as 2014 in different parts of the federal government, including both the military and civilian sides.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:27 pm

I just spoke with someone high up in ORAM, and she said in her 15+ years w/DOJ, through multiple freezes, HP hires have always been exempt.

RIF is a different story

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:02 pm

catinthewall wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming that any hiring freeze is not retroactive, and our jobs are safe in that sense, how common are RIFs or layoffs in the fed govt? When is the last time a significant number of federal employees were laid off?
Let me google that for you...

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... -in-force/

It has happened as recently as 2014 in different parts of the federal government, including both the military and civilian sides.
Just be glad we're not trying to work at the Dept of Energy... http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/po ... ition.html
The transition team is sending around a questionnaire looking for names of employees working on anything climate change related.

thing2

New

Post by thing2 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:02 am

bluesweater54 wrote:First-time poster. Considering a CRT offer and going back and forth. If any one is in the same position, it would be great to chat--shoot me a pm. Thanks.
I found this helpful, if not disheartening, when considering options and thinking through all this. There are a few articles that speak more generally about the DOJ and encourage people to still take the job, but they weren't specific to civil rights. From the people I've talked to, CRT attorneys in particular are concerned. Best of luck! (and/or what did you decide?) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru ... adb56fb8c7

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Just received a call telling me I didn't make the cut for atr-sf. Seems like their two offers have been accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:20 am

Received an offer from ATR-WASH yesterday. Guessing I was an alternate and lucked out, but very happy regardless! Don't lose hope!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Anybody get their reimbursement yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody get their reimbursement yet?
I did. There was a mixup that caused it to be delayed, but it finally came through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I did. There was a mixup that caused it to be delayed, but it finally came through.
When did it come through? I'm still waiting on mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When did it come through? I'm still waiting on mine.
It came through on December 12. Once I was fairly sure I wasn't going past the finalist stage, I emailed to ask where it was. It came within a week of that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:55 am

Mine hit my bank account on 11/22.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Got an official rejection today from Civil, was a finalist. Yay for moving on and no angst about working for the new administration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an official rejection today from Civil, was a finalist. Yay for moving on and no angst about working for the new administration.
I feel you there, same here with ATR.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Any SLIP finalists still waiting to hear? Or can we assume by now all the offers have been made?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Thoughts on the hiring freeze? I know the OMB guidance released stated that the agencies should determine whether or not job offers should be revoked; I am in a particularly ideologically-driven component so I worry. That being said, I even wonder about components like ATR (civil) that will likely be seeing less litigation.

rockosmodernlife

New

Post by rockosmodernlife » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any SLIP finalists still waiting to hear? Or can we assume by now all the offers have been made?

I think most offers went out in November. That's when I got mine at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am

Are there any current DOJ attorneys, especially those who entered through the Honors program, on TLS? I'd really like to hear about what your day-to-day was like in terms of the workload, travel scheduled, the type of training you received, and even shallow things like whether or not your had your own office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any current DOJ attorneys, especially those who entered through the Honors program, on TLS? I'd really like to hear about what your day-to-day was like in terms of the workload, travel scheduled, the type of training you received, and even shallow things like whether or not your had your own office.
I suspect you're going to have to be more specific about what part of DOJ; these things can vary a lot depending on what component/agency you work for. For myself, I'm an AUSA and the workload is very heavy at times (but probably not biglaw levels), I travel rarely, I've had great training both in the sense of formal courses/in-office training sessions and one on one help from colleagues, and I have my own office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any current DOJ attorneys, especially those who entered through the Honors program, on TLS? I'd really like to hear about what your day-to-day was like in terms of the workload, travel scheduled, the type of training you received, and even shallow things like whether or not your had your own office.
I suspect you're going to have to be more specific about what part of DOJ; these things can vary a lot depending on what component/agency you work for. For myself, I'm an AUSA and the workload is very heavy at times (but probably not biglaw levels), I travel rarely, I've had great training both in the sense of formal courses/in-office training sessions and one on one help from colleagues, and I have my own office.
Thanks for the response. I meant to specify that I was specifically wondering about positions at main justice in litigating divisions. I would like to potentially go to a USAO down the road though, so your info is much appreciated!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the response. I meant to specify that I was specifically wondering about positions at main justice in litigating divisions. I would like to potentially go to a USAO down the road though, so your info is much appreciated!
When you say "main justice" do you just mean DOJ's various division headquarters? "Main justice" typically is in reference to the administrative and policy offices within the main justice building, but the majority of the litigation takes places in its litigation divisions (criminal, civil rights, etc.) and those are (mostly) not within the main justice building.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:57 am

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When you say "main justice" do you just mean DOJ's various division headquarters? "Main justice" typically is in reference to the administrative and policy offices within the main justice building, but the majority of the litigation takes places in its litigation divisions (criminal, civil rights, etc.) and those are (mostly) not within the main justice building.
I'm referring to main justice as DOJ in DC, including all of the litigation divisions because those are what I'm interested in hearing about. Sorry for the confusion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScratchableItch

Bronze

Post by ScratchableItch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 am

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Really? Whenever I've heard it discussed, "main justice" has generally meant all of the DOJ components in DC aside from the DC USA office. Whether or not they're in a certain building, I've always taken "main justice" to include criminal, civil rights, etc as well as the administrative and policy offices in DC.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:11 am

ScratchableItch wrote:Really? Whenever I've heard it discussed, "main justice" has generally meant all of the DOJ components in DC aside from the DC USA office. Whether or not they're in a certain building, I've always taken "main justice" to include criminal, civil rights, etc as well as the administrative and policy offices in DC.
Yes, really. If you ever discuss DOJ with an current or former DOJ attorney, they're going to think "main justice" as either the front office or at least the offices within the main building. Using "main justice" in the broad sense to a DOJ attorney would be like asking a law firm transactional attorney about "corporate law." Their thought would be "what kind of corporate law? cap markets, m&a, securities, etc."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 am

Nebby wrote:
ScratchableItch wrote:Really? Whenever I've heard it discussed, "main justice" has generally meant all of the DOJ components in DC aside from the DC USA office. Whether or not they're in a certain building, I've always taken "main justice" to include criminal, civil rights, etc as well as the administrative and policy offices in DC.
Yes, really. If you ever discuss DOJ with an current or former DOJ attorney, they're going to think "main justice" as either the front office or at least the offices within the main building. Using "main justice" in the broad sense to a DOJ attorney would be like asking a law firm transactional attorney about "corporate law." Their thought would be "what kind of corporate law? cap markets, m&a, securities, etc."
Nomenclature aside, what's your experience been like at DOJ? I'm just trying to stay on track.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 am

i came to a litigating component of civil in 2015 through honors. it has been pretty ideal. i generally do 40 hour weeks except for small crunches around hearings or for other reasons. the training, both internal in d.c. and at doj's training center, has been great. i've generally travelled about once every 1.5 months for cases. you can pm me if you have more specific questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”