DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a salary question for any doj attorneys lurking or anyone with knowledge: how soon after meeting the in-grade requirement do you see a salary increase and promotion in gs level? Is it asap or do you have to wait until an annual review? Materials say it's possible for someone who starts at gs12 to be at gs 15 in 3.5 years? Does that happen in practice?
In my component, salary reviews happen every year in April, so if you start in the fall, you won't get the bump until you've been there closer to a year and a half (so yes, you have to wait till annual review). But it's a pretty quick climb up the ladder.
https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/a ... d-benefits

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2016-2017 Cycle: Application Status Tracker in the OP - Please update!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 am

Twiddling my thumbs, hoping for some alternate love today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:49 am

Another benefits related question: does DOJ reimburse for state bar dues?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else a finalist for ATR-SF? I know they had two spots but wasn't sure whether they'd use both or how many finalists they would pick.
Fellow ATR-SF finalist. No word from them yet.
Did you hear from them yet?
Nope. All quiet on the western front (at least for me).
ATR-SF friend, I got an email back from the SF office today telling me they're still being held up by folks in DC from moving forward in the process. Seems like there's some kind of bureaucracy that's still unfolding. So hopefully you and I will know answers soon, but we still have to wait for now. :(
Oh wow, thanks for the info. I had pretty much written off my chances at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Assuming that your interviewer provided you with a business card/contact information, has anyone contacted their component about the status of their application? I was designated as a finalist a few weeks ago, and was hoping to get a sense of where they are in their process...Is this tacky/frowned upon?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Assuming that your interviewer provided you with a business card/contact information, has anyone contacted their component about the status of their application? I was designated as a finalist a few weeks ago, and was hoping to get a sense of where they are in their process...Is this tacky/frowned upon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming that your interviewer provided you with a business card/contact information, has anyone contacted their component about the status of their application? I was designated as a finalist a few weeks ago, and was hoping to get a sense of where they are in their process...Is this tacky/frowned upon?
I've been wondering the same. I'm curious to know if it would reiterate support or just irritate them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another benefits related question: does DOJ reimburse for state bar dues?
Not in my component - don't know if it varies. However I do get all my CLE requirements covered by internal training so I don't have to pay for that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Anyone had any recent movement with NSD? Or know of anyone who has accepted/rejected an offer? I was hoping they didn't have alternates for the four spots, but I've been a finalist for a couple weeks now and I'm getting antsy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming that your interviewer provided you with a business card/contact information, has anyone contacted their component about the status of their application? I was designated as a finalist a few weeks ago, and was hoping to get a sense of where they are in their process...Is this tacky/frowned upon?
I've been wondering the same. I'm curious to know if it would reiterate support or just irritate them.
I contacted my component for an update (see above, atr-sf). I think if it has been weeks it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I contacted my component for an update (see above, atr-sf). I think if it has been weeks it doesn't hurt to ask.
Who did you contact in your component? Not like who specifically, but if you had more than one interviewer, how did you decide?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who did you contact in your component? Not like who specifically, but if you had more than one interviewer, how did you decide?
I contacted the person who was part of my interview process who seemed to be responsible for a lot of the administrative aspects of the process. This person had interacted with me regarding my flight delay that day and had given me specific timelines for a decision at the close of the interview. I had also asked this person (after the election, by email) about whether the new administration will not honor any offers made. So this person seemed most intuitive to me for questions about hiring decisions.

If you don't have someone who stands out in that respect, I don't think it would matter who you ask; the person would either have an answer or kick it to someone who does. One thing I noted is that my references were all contacted by the same person (not the person I just described), and that person was one of my interviewers, so that could be another alternative for you for someone who would be keyed into the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I contacted the person who was part of my interview process who seemed to be responsible for a lot of the administrative aspects of the process. This person had interacted with me regarding my flight delay that day and had given me specific timelines for a decision at the close of the interview. I had also asked this person (after the election, by email) about whether the new administration will not honor any offers made. So this person seemed most intuitive to me for questions about hiring decisions.

If you don't have someone who stands out in that respect, I don't think it would matter who you ask; the person would either have an answer or kick it to someone who does. One thing I noted is that my references were all contacted by the same person (not the person I just described), and that person was one of my interviewers, so that could be another alternative for you for someone who would be keyed into the process.
Smart. Thoughtful. Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Accepted my wash-atr offer today, issued on the day the rest went out. Sorry for the wait. GL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Can we please be a little more careful with the spreadsheet? The alternates (aka me) are really watching the changes so deleting the whole thing results in a mini-heart attack.

On that note it has been deleted three times today so if you made any changes please double check that they are still there- they may not have been saved in the revision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm

How do you know if you're an alternate for EOIR? My status says "Finalist." Do we just infer we are alternates if people from our preferred geographical locations have received offers and we haven't heard anything?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you know if you're an alternate for EOIR? My status says "Finalist." Do we just infer we are alternates if people from our preferred geographical locations have received offers and we haven't hear anything?
I think it depends on if your references were checked yet, and not so much geographical locations. I say that because I received an offer but it was nowhere near my geographical location.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 pm

For those eoir ocij that formally accepted, any word after? What's the next step, just wait to be contacted for the background check?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those eoir ocij that formally accepted, any word after? What's the next step, just wait to be contacted for the background check?
I filled out a no nepotism form, and am waiting for the background check details. I told them I would be out of town during winter break, and they did not seem concerned at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Officially giving up. Trying to get excited about exploring other options. Yay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:08 pm

EOIR Finalists: Does anyone know if California locations have sent first round offers? There's only person who interviewed in CA on the spreadsheet. It isn't clear whether that finalist accepted an offer for a CA office. My references haven't been contacted yet, so I'm assuming I'm an alternate and I'm just grasping for straws here. lol

Would people mind updating the spreadsheet under "offer" to include the State/general location and whether it was one of their geographical preferences?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:48 am

Has anyone asked what affect a hiring freeze might have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone asked what affect a hiring freeze might have?
When I received my offer call, the DOJ attorney spent a few minutes talking about the potential for hiring freezes. She said that if there is one, it almost definitely wouldn't affect current offers. For future applicants, it's more iffy. While a hiring freeze may actually result in some components not hiring anyone, the way a freeze actually works is that Congress tells departments that they will not be getting any extra funding to hire. So technically, a department could rearrange their budget to make room for new hires. Obviously this is more difficult since few agencies have an extra 100k to throw around for a new attorney.

Unrelated question: has anyone received their travel reimbursements yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR Finalists: Does anyone know if California locations have sent first round offers? There's only person who interviewed in CA on the spreadsheet. It isn't clear whether that finalist accepted an offer for a CA office. My references haven't been contacted yet, so I'm assuming I'm an alternate and I'm just grasping for straws here. lol

Would people mind updating the spreadsheet under "offer" to include the State/general location and whether it was one of their geographical preferences?

Hi there- I accepted an offer in a major city in CA. So they are definitely extending first round offers, not sure if they've completed those or not though. Also, it's not unheard of for people to get alternate offers in January, so I wouldn't lose all hope yet. Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone asked what affect a hiring freeze might have?
When I received my offer call, the DOJ attorney spent a few minutes talking about the potential for hiring freezes. She said that if there is one, it almost definitely wouldn't affect current offers. For future applicants, it's more iffy. While a hiring freeze may actually result in some components not hiring anyone, the way a freeze actually works is that Congress tells departments that they will not be getting any extra funding to hire. So technically, a department could rearrange their budget to make room for new hires. Obviously this is more difficult since few agencies have an extra 100k to throw around for a new attorney.

Unrelated question: has anyone received their travel reimbursements yet?
Did she address the potential issue/likelihood of executive action to freeze hiring (rather than Congressional action on the budget)? DOJ could be rolling in cash but at the stroke of a pen not hire anyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”