Michigan Firms - Any news on salary increases? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan Firms - Any news on salary increases?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I've seen language on some of these firms' sites regarding salaries for lateral candidates being set on a case by case basis.

Does anyone have a sense of how this impacts the numbers above - if someone laterals from a 180k market, do these firms actually make offers for half of the person's current salary? Or do they stretch compensation upward somewhat (without matching NY/LA salary obviously) to attract laterals?

eta: considering a MI lateral, but going from 180k market to 100-110 market would be difficult. What the poster above said regarding student loan debt reducing the effectiveness of a cost of living reduction is dead on - my second biggest monthly expense after housing is student loan debt, and it is a fixed cost. It makes 100k look pretty meager no matter how low the COL is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Although there smaller offices, with Foley & Jones Day at 160k, I don't see how some of the other firms with $$$ can basically stand on the sidelines.

Dykema - PPP 510K - Leverage 1:3
Miller Canfield - PPP 490K - Leverage 1:2
Dickinson Wright - PPP 520K - Leverage 1:2
Honigman - PPP 840K - Leverage 1:1
Clark Hill - PPP 510K - Leverage unclear between 1:1 and 1:1.5

A raise would be hardest on Dykema because of a 1:3 leverage of Equity Partners : all others.

By far easiest for Clark Hill and Honigman.

Hopefully Michigan associates get what they deserve... at the very least the firms should contingent higher salaries with meeting billable requirements. If an associate is pulling their weight, they should be compensated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Although there smaller offices, with Foley & Jones Day at 160k, I don't see how some of the other firms with $$$ can basically stand on the sidelines.

Dykema - PPP 510K - Leverage 1:3
Miller Canfield - PPP 490K - Leverage 1:2
Dickinson Wright - PPP 520K - Leverage 1:2
Honigman - PPP 840K - Leverage 1:1
Clark Hill - PPP 510K - Leverage unclear between 1:1 and 1:1.5

A raise would be hardest on Dykema because of a 1:3 leverage of Equity Partners : all others.

By far easiest for Clark Hill and Honigman.

Hopefully Michigan associates get what they deserve... at the very least the firms should contingent higher salaries with meeting billable requirements. If an associate is pulling their weight, they should be compensated.
Agreed. Although I think Honigman just did a small raise not long ago. Dickinson is doing a slight bump soon. I doubt Clark hill can, tumors are they're having issues short term, but should be okay in the long run.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:39 am

Any update here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Bump. Really curious about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:35 am

[deleted]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Does anyone have any salary info for Michigan firms beyond starting? Esp. interested in how accurate the salary bands on Honigman's website are.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've seen language on some of these firms' sites regarding salaries for lateral candidates being set on a case by case basis.

Does anyone have a sense of how this impacts the numbers above - if someone laterals from a 180k market, do these firms actually make offers for half of the person's current salary? Or do they stretch compensation upward somewhat (without matching NY/LA salary obviously) to attract laterals?

eta: considering a MI lateral, but going from 180k market to 100-110 market would be difficult. What the poster above said regarding student loan debt reducing the effectiveness of a cost of living reduction is dead on - my second biggest monthly expense after housing is student loan debt, and it is a fixed cost. It makes 100k look pretty meager no matter how low the COL is.
get on PAYE and its better to be in a lower COL and lower paying market than higher COL market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:44 pm

anyone know the PPP and leverage for Varnum/Warner? Also whats partner compensation actually like at Michigan firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm also interested about the salary--associate/partner--for the GR firms like Warner. Does anyone have any information about their bonuses or salary progression.
Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”