Post removed... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:44 pm

King Cayuga wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're not really set on corporate or litigation, how do you realistically evaluate the firms you're meeting with? I've had a few early interviews and have secured two callbacks from Cornell-favorite firms, but I still don't know what to "look for." All the firms pay the same, they all have great offices, is "culture" the thing to consider?

Apart from NALP, Chambers, and talking to summers/young associates, what else do you recommend for evaluating a firm if you lack a strong preference for practice group? Also, regarding the areas within a firm, how does one get a sense of the work within various areas of a firm that 1Ls have less exposure to (bankruptcy, M&A, tax, etc.).

And yes, there are demonstrable differences in firm culture even though biglaw is very similar in many ways across the V100. You'll probably get a sense of this from how your callbacks go. If the firm you're interviewing with can't even find four people to put in front of you who don't look like they hate their lives, then that's probably a pretty big red flag. Reading about the firm on Vault and Chambers is somewhat helpful, although the blurbs there are largely whitewashed and therefore limited in their usefulness.
I wouldn't try to make any conclusions about firm culture based on one CB. Short of the hiring partner informing you that the firm is in financial ruin, smile and nod and cop that offer. If you don't know what you want to do, then look for a firm that (a) is strong in both transactional work and litigation (because there are places that do both but in truth focus on one or the other), (b) allows their summers to do assignments for as many practice groups they want, and (c) starts first-year associates in general transactional or general litigation instead of a specific practice group under one of those umbrellas, and then gives them time (two or three years is not unheard of) to zone in on something.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Any AJF firms ask for writing samples? I really don't wanna re-do a lawyering memo

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:05 pm

WeeBey wrote:Any AJF firms ask for writing samples? I really don't wanna re-do a lawyering memo
If Covington is coming to AJF this year, their DC office definitely asks for a writing sample. That's the only firm I know of, though.

You should probably re-do your Lawyering memo, just in case. One day (or weekend's) worth of work is worth it.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 pm

runinthefront wrote:
WeeBey wrote:Any AJF firms ask for writing samples? I really don't wanna re-do a lawyering memo
If Covington is coming to AJF this year, their DC office definitely asks for a writing sample. That's the only firm I know of, though.
I think I gave 4 or 5 out over the course of AJF. I know Linklaters asked for one and I'm pretty sure WH DC did, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:03 pm

I secured an early callback at lower V10 w/ no writing sample. However, I just got an email that I need to upload a writing sample for another firm before my callback (v50 firm).

I think the lawyering memo will need to be redone... balls

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Any advice on picking up firms tomorrow on simplicity? If I only want W&C on Monday but also missed on a firm like Deb., if Deb's the only one available, do I just take that? Alternatively, do I wait to see if W&C becomes available?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on picking up firms tomorrow on simplicity? If I only want W&C on Monday but also missed on a firm like Deb., if Deb's the only one available, do I just take that? Alternatively, do I wait to see if W&C becomes available?
You need to pick one day that you'd want an extra interview on. Can base this on which firms are on that day and/or which day you have the most free time on. Then, at exactly 12pm, you need to be spamming refresh on that symplicity page. As soon as you see slots open, you need to observe which firms that day have open slots, make a quick decision on which you want the most, click on it, check which interview times are there and which is best for your schedule (I had my interview schedule written out in front of me), and select it ASAP. If you have time after, go to another firm/day and try to grab something else. But don't count on it, because it's usually a free-for-all and all the decent firms will be gone in a minute. Also do not count on waiting and getting a specific firm on a later open slots day. Just take whatever you can get.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on picking up firms tomorrow on simplicity? If I only want W&C on Monday but also missed on a firm like Deb., if Deb's the only one available, do I just take that? Alternatively, do I wait to see if W&C becomes available?
You need to pick one day that you'd want an extra interview on. Can base this on which firms are on that day and/or which day you have the most free time on. Then, at exactly 12pm, you need to be spamming refresh on that symplicity page. As soon as you see slots open, you need to observe which firms that day have open slots, make a quick decision on which you want the most, click on it, check which interview times are there and which is best for your schedule (I had my interview schedule written out in front of me), and select it ASAP. If you have time after, go to another firm/day and try to grab something else. But don't count on it, because it's usually a free-for-all and all the decent firms will be gone in a minute. Also do not count on waiting and getting a specific firm on a later open slots day. Just take whatever you can get.
Literally

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:39 am

I think White & Case did last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 am

Lavitz wrote:
Could there be firms that I bid on but didn't get with open slots? Or is will it be only the firms that didn't fill up their slots through lottery?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:34 am

When someone transfers out, the interviews they received during the bidding process become "open." So yes, it's possible that you may end up seeing an open bid from a firm you didn't end up getting the first time around.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

swedishfish

New

Post by swedishfish » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:53 pm

runinthefront wrote:When someone transfers out, the interviews they received during the bidding process become "open." So yes, it's possible that you may end up seeing an open bid from a firm you didn't end up getting the first time around.
Interesting. I bid on PH and didn't get it, but there were around 5 or 6 time slots (possibly more -- I didn't stop to count for long) that I could choose from through open slots. Does that indicate the # of people that transferred out? :o

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 pm

swedishfish wrote:
runinthefront wrote:When someone transfers out, the interviews they received during the bidding process become "open." So yes, it's possible that you may end up seeing an open bid from a firm you didn't end up getting the first time around.
Interesting. I bid on PH and didn't get it, but there were around 5 or 6 time slots (possibly more -- I didn't stop to count for long) that I could choose from through open slots. Does that indicate the # of people that transferred out? :o
For PH, not necessarily. My year, a lot of people got PH in open slots because it was actually one of their CA offices that didn't fill up, and they designated it as NY on open slots day so the screener from CA could use the extra slots to interview people for the NY office. Not sure if the same thing happened this year.

I will say that I felt somewhat disadvantaged compared with the people who just got PH in bidding and interviewed with the screeners from NY, because the CA screener didn't know how to treat us or how many of us she could give CBs to. Seemed like it was the first time that happened to her. She ended up telling at least 2 of us that if we were really interested, we should visit the NY screener after his last interview of the day so we could talk about the NY office. The 2 of us showed up to the room he was conducting interviews in, waited outside for 30 minutes because the last interviewee was capitalizing on the fact that he was last and stayed in there for > 45 minutes with the guy, then we gave up and left without speaking to the guy. No CB. But presumably, even if that is what's going on, they should know how to handle it after 2 years of this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:35 pm

I got the one I wanted on Tuesday, but there was a scheduling conflict so I got nada.

It's a shame you can't add/drop, because I would have dropped Jones Day in a heart beat for Sidley

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:59 am

Lavitz wrote:
swedishfish wrote:
For PH, not necessarily. My year, a lot of people got PH in open slots because it was actually one of their CA offices that didn't fill up, and they designated it as NY on open slots day so the screener from CA could use the extra slots to interview people for the NY office. Not sure if the same thing happened this year.

I will say that I felt somewhat disadvantaged compared with the people who just got PH in bidding and interviewed with the screeners from NY, because the CA screener didn't know how to treat us or how many of us she could give CBs to. Seemed like it was the first time that happened to her. She ended up telling at least 2 of us that if we were really interested, we should visit the NY screener after his last interview of the day so we could talk about the NY office. The 2 of us showed up to the room he was conducting interviews in, waited outside for 30 minutes because the last interviewee was capitalizing on the fact that he was last and stayed in there for > 45 minutes with the guy, then we gave up and left without speaking to the guy. No CB. But presumably, even if that is what's going on, they should know how to handle it after 2 years of this.
I hated having the last interview of the day. The knock is great. The knock is so great. Nothing worse than when a bad interview won't end or a good interview nosedives because there's no one there to tag in.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:11 am

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
swedishfish wrote:

I hated having the last interview of the day. The knock is great. The knock is so great. Nothing worse than when a bad interview won't end or a good interview nosedives because there's no one there to tag in.
The knock is the best part of the interview.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Seen a FB post of someone making LR. I guess calls began going out... :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:33 pm

That person's a dickbag for putting their law review selection on facebook. JLPP/ILJ can still open a ton of doors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:14 pm

So was that it for LR? I'm surprised nothing was mentioned on this page.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:That person's a dickbag for putting their law review selection on facebook. JLPP/ILJ can still open a ton of doors.
+1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:34 pm

When I realized which two kids posted about getting law review on Facebook, it made a lot of sense. Lets just say, you can't get one without the other...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Is there any way to find out which method was used for your LR offer (ie grade-on/write-on/composite-on)? Is that kept a secret? Not that it matters, just curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:58 pm

I have it from a reputable insider that they made more of an effort his year with the composite to make the LR more diverse.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any way to find out which method was used for your LR offer (ie grade-on/write-on/composite-on)? Is that kept a secret? Not that it matters, just curious.
It's a secret because, as you note, it doesn't matter.
Anonymous User wrote:I have it from a reputable insider that they made more of an effort his year with the composite to make the LR more diverse.
Not sure what you're trying to say. Every year, there's discussion of how to increase diversity from the previous year. If you're implying that they increased the weight of the composite score or otherwise fudged the numbers, that's false.

And nobody's a more reputable insider than I am.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”