HLS EIP 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any luck with the resume book so far?
Nothing here

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:12 am

2DS/3H/5P - Targeting Litigation
Decent WE/Advanced Degree
Inconsistent Interviewer

Boston
16 Screeners
8 CBs
7 CBs Accepted
1 Offer

NYC
8 Screeners
4 CBs
2 CBs Accepted
1 Offer (V15)

Takeaways: In retrospect, I really wish I'd taken those other NYC CBs. Targeting small firms in Boston (<10 SAs) is a bit of a crapshoot, even when you walk out of the CB feeling like you nailed it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 am

Transfer student

NYC
1 pre-EIP offer
29 screeners
25 CBs offered
12 CBs accepted
11 offers (5 V10, 2 V25, 4 V25+)

Strong interview skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer student

NYC
1 pre-EIP offer
29 screeners
25 CBs offered
12 CBs accepted

Strong interview skills.
Wow, congrats, those results are amazing. Were they much different from what you would have gotten at your old school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:32 pm

5DS/5H

DC
10 screeners
9 CBs offered
8 CBs accepted
7 offers

NYC
3 screeners
3 CBs offered
3 CBs accepted
3 offers (V10 2, V100 1)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:36 pm

^^^ Maybe not the right place (or just rude), but Sears? Either way, congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transfer student

NYC
1 pre-EIP offer
29 screeners
25 CBs offered
12 CBs accepted

Strong interview skills.
Wow, congrats, those results are amazing. Were they much different from what you would have gotten at your old school?
Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:16 pm

3H 7P

21 screeners, 15 in NY, 6 in DC

5 CBs in NY, 3 offers , 2 withdrawn

1 CB in DC, 0 offer (the screeners were with 1 V10, 2 V20, 2 V50, and 1 V100)
I spent my 1L summer in DC doing regulatory work. I love the city and the work, but my OCS adviser strongly suggested that I should bid heavily on NY firms. Now I am very glad that I listened to her.

BTW, I found that adding interviews during EIP would be a waste of time. Interviewers would notice that you were not on their original list and would be less likely to give you a CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote: BTW, I found that adding interviews during EIP would be a waste of time. Interviewers would notice that you were not on their original list and would be less likely to give you a CB.
Disagree with this statement vehemently. I added four firms, about one per day, and received CBs from three of those places (including V5, V10, V20).

For future EIPers, IMO defintely do this, particularly earlier in the week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: BTW, I found that adding interviews during EIP would be a waste of time. Interviewers would notice that you were not on their original list and would be less likely to give you a CB.
Disagree with this statement vehemently. I added four firms, about one per day, and received CBs from three of those places (including V5, V10, V20).

For future EIPers, IMO defintely do this, particularly earlier in the week.
Agreed -- Look, if you're not competitive in the first place and add an interview, yes, you're not going to get a callback anyway. But if you have the grades, firms don't care whether you had a slot from when EIP started.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Gonna chime in on the adding interviews during EIP.
It works. Period.
I'm sorry if it didn't for you, but I know multiple people who received their only offers from firms they added on the day of, sometimes even an hour before.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gonna chime in on the adding interviews during EIP.
It works. Period.
I'm sorry if it didn't for you, but I know multiple people who received their only offers from firms they added on the day of, sometimes even an hour before.
Yes. Same. Add interviews; there's no reason not too. Firms aren't keeping track of like "OMG, this person selected us an hour before! No CB!" If they like you, you're getting a callback. It's silly to attribute such a granular view to firms for whom everyone at EIP is just a potential cog.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
It works. Period.
Yes. Same. Add interviews; there's no reason not too. Firms aren't keeping track of like "OMG, this person selected us an hour before! No CB!" If they like you, you're getting a callback. It's silly to attribute such a granular view to firms for whom everyone at EIP is just a potential cog.
and bids are grade blind right? So it really doesn't matter if you added or got in through the ocs algorithm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 pm

August Wilson wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
It works. Period.
and bids are grade blind right? So it really doesn't matter if you added or got in through the ocs algorithm.
Yes and yes.

No one gives a shit that you added during EIP. Go for it.

tulip18

New

Post by tulip18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here have experience doing EIP with really weird grades (1DS/3H/5P/1LP). The "strategic bidding" chart on OCS only talks about H/P grades so I am having a tough time figuring out where I stand. Targeting lit in Chicago if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice!
how did your outcome turn out? bidding new york but curious if it ended up okay?

tulip18

New

Post by tulip18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:05 am

TripTrip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here have experience doing EIP with really weird grades (1DS/3H/5P/1LP). The "strategic bidding" chart on OCS only talks about H/P grades so I am having a tough time figuring out where I stand. Targeting lit in Chicago if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice!
That's not that weird. Just assume you're median.

It doesn't really matter in Chicago anyway. You're going to bid on the same firms no matter what.
what about for new york?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have one LP but otherwise pretty good grades (5Hs). An advisor at OCS told me that even if not prompted, I should explain the LP every time I hand my transcript to the the interviewer. To me, this feels like I could be bringing unnecessary attention to it. Does anyone, particularly 3Ls or alumni who had an LP, have any advice here?
Your instinct is right - this is bad advice and you should ignore it. Have an explanation ready in case it comes up (a couple interviewers might smile/laugh and ask what's up with the LP) but it's not a big deal since you have 5Hs.
can i ask how this turned out? very similar situation- for new york. did you get offers to top 10 firms?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tulip18

New

Post by tulip18 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have one LP but otherwise pretty good grades (5Hs). An advisor at OCS told me that even if not prompted, I should explain the LP every time I hand my transcript to the the interviewer. To me, this feels like I could be bringing unnecessary attention to it. Does anyone, particularly 3Ls or alumni who had an LP, have any advice here?
Your instinct is right - this is bad advice and you should ignore it. Have an explanation ready in case it comes up (a couple interviewers might smile/laugh and ask what's up with the LP) but it's not a big deal since you have 5Hs.
can i ask how this turned out? very similar situation- for new york. did you get offers to top 10 firms?
@MyNameIsFlynn! ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”