Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kjartan

Gold

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Post by kjartan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:37 pm

El Pollito wrote:
TTTooKewl wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
kaiser wrote:Can't speak for other places, but that wouldn't fly in NYC

Interesting perspectives from different regions of the country. So it wouldn't work in NYC? Thank god I don't live there, for numerous reasons. It is interesting that smoking is considered healthier, less "gross" and more socially acceptable.

I'm guessing if I worked in Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, or Alabama dipping at work might be more acceptable.

I think you'd be surprised the number of lawyers who dip. I'm just gauging whether or not it is acceptable in other offices. Personally, I choose not to do it when others are in the office. I'd much rather go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet for 10-15 minutes and read some news articles on my phone.
Smoking doesn't really fly in NYC, either, with the exception of the occasional social cig. Definitely less inappropriate than dip, but not by a lot, and definitely still not cool to do during working hours.
eh there was definitely a smoker crew, though it wasn't common

NO ONE in norcal smokes at all
Except ganj

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:43 pm

I could see a hypothetical SA getting no offered (or at least a stern warning)for using chewing tobacco or whatever you call it. I definitely would not do this anywhere in NYC.

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:38 pm

I don't see how anyone who cares would ever find out in a typical biglaw office. You'll share an office with at most one other person. Okay it with him/her (careful of gossip, though) and cover up the lingering odor.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Y'all are being incrediblely naive about this. I can guarantee you that many folks in your offices, regardless of city/vault ranking/etc, are using some form of chewing tobacco and are doing it regularly. You just don't know about it because no one would know they are doing it... even if they are right in front of you. Much easier to hide than yall are giving credit for

ETA: Not condoning it/saying its professionally appropriate. Just saying that it does happen and its not as nonexistent as we seem to think

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:48 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Y'all are being incrediblely naive about this. I can guarantee you that many folks in your offices, regardless of city/vault ranking/etc, are using some form of chewing tobacco and are doing it regularly. You just don't know about it because no one would know they are doing it... even if they are right in front of you. Much easier to hide than yall are giving credit for

ETA: Not condoning it/saying its professionally appropriate. Just saying that it does happen and its not as nonexistent as we seem to think
I tend to agree here.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Used to throw big lippers in at my T14 law school library. Was quite possibly the only person who did so. Got bemused looks/comments mostly
Fairly good odds you were mistaking disgusted for bemused.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:07 pm

Tls2016 wrote:I could see a hypothetical SA getting no offered (or at least a stern warning)for using chewing tobacco or whatever you call it. I definitely would not do this anywhere in NYC.
they'd just no offer you for fit or work product and not talk to you about it

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:20 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Y'all are being incrediblely naive about this. I can guarantee you that many folks in your offices, regardless of city/vault ranking/etc, are using some form of chewing tobacco and are doing it regularly. You just don't know about it because no one would know they are doing it... even if they are right in front of you. Much easier to hide than yall are giving credit for

I don't think I've ever known a single person in NYC, lawyer or not, who chews tobacco. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's professional, it's just a really fucking weird thing to do here.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:45 pm

TBF being a pro golfer would be pretty weird in NYC, too.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:10 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:TBF being a pro golfer would be pretty weird in NYC, too.

Lol!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I know others have used e-cigarettes. These kinds of things depend more about the other people sitting near you than anything else. If it doesn't smell I imagine people won't care. If it's during a meeting or anything involving a conference room, and it involves you spitting while someone else is talking, people will be angry.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 pm

Being from the South, I know people who dip. But I don't really know why people do it. Then again, it's their life and choice. I have some unhealthy habits of my own. YOLO, I guess. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

I tend to agree here.
It must be hard to hide a habit like that when you are trapped in a conference room for hours. I'm just warning any SA to not do this in NYC. It truly is not socially acceptable.

Another warning for that matter as these things may overlap: NYC doesn't allow open carry of alcoholic beverages. Cops will look very poorly on doing this as they see it as completely disrespecting them. A few years ago some SA from the south, not aware of the law, reported being tackled by cops for being right outside his building with a beer in his hand.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Tls2016 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

I tend to agree here.
It must be hard to hide a habit like that when you are trapped in a conference room for hours. I'm just warning any SA to not do this in NYC. It truly is not socially acceptable.

Another warning for that matter as these things may overlap: NYC doesn't allow open carry of alcoholic beverages. Cops will look very poorly on doing this as they see it as completely disrespecting them. A few years ago some SA from the south, not aware of the law, reported being tackled by cops for being right outside his building with a beer in his hand.
http://observer.com/2016/03/you-wont-ge ... n-anymore/

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:29 am

Tls2016 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

I tend to agree here.

It's typically against the law in the South too.(although, it depends on where you're at) The cops often will overlook it, though.

I guess they take it seriously in New York.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:31 am

This is probably bordering on the too-extreme side of the spectrum, but have you guys tried nicotine patches? I don't want to be the guy who steps outside for a smoke every couple of hours. I have no desire to quit. I might try Camel snus instead. I remember I went through like 10 packs back when they were first released and Camel handed them out for free.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:51 am

Nekrowizard wrote:This is probably bordering on the too-extreme side of the spectrum, but have you guys tried nicotine patches? I don't want to be the guy who steps outside for a smoke every couple of hours. I have no desire to quit. I might try Camel snus instead. I remember I went through like 10 packs back when they were first released and Camel handed them out for free.
I go gum or lozenges personally. Patches are more of an all day solution, but theres something satisfying about having a craving, doing something, and it going away thats different than a once a day solution.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:55 am

Clearly wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:This is probably bordering on the too-extreme side of the spectrum, but have you guys tried nicotine patches? I don't want to be the guy who steps outside for a smoke every couple of hours. I have no desire to quit. I might try Camel snus instead. I remember I went through like 10 packs back when they were first released and Camel handed them out for free.
I go gum or lozenges personally. Patches are more of an all day solution, but theres something satisfying about having a craving, doing something, and it going away thats different than a once a day solution.
That's my main concern. I'll look into some gum. Do you have a preferred brand? Does Nicorette or whatever still dominate the market?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:20 am

Nekrowizard wrote:
Clearly wrote:
That's my main concern. I'll look into some gum. Do you have a preferred brand? Does Nicorette or whatever still dominate the market?
They do but nicotine is nicotine, so I go CVS store brand.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:17 am

Clearly wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
Clearly wrote:
CVS store brand is a credited response. Go 4mg, not 2mg, and follow the instructions the first time you do it.

LOL at everyone who thinks they would actually notice someone using snus during a meeting, or that they need to have the god damn thing in for any extended period of time. Folks, this is a 15 minute ordeal, you can't see it when someone is doing it (if they are being discrete), and there is no spit.

Again, not saying that its wise/healthy/professional or remotely acceptable. But i guarantee you 99% of people will get away with it without anyone knowing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:01 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
Clearly wrote:
CVS store brand is a credited response. Go 4mg, not 2mg, and follow the instructions the first time you do it.

LOL at everyone who thinks they would actually notice someone using snus during a meeting, or that they need to have the god damn thing in for any extended period of time. Folks, this is a 15 minute ordeal, you can't see it when someone is doing it (if they are being discrete), and there is no spit.

Again, not saying that its wise/healthy/professional or remotely acceptable. But i guarantee you 99% of people will get away with it without anyone knowing.
Literally no one can see you use it. I use it at work frequently. It's a nonissue

Patches definitely work. It's for all day yes

Gum is good. Get it at Costco if you can. Get 4mg

The only problem with gums that it's very easy to go through a whole sheet of about 14 or so in a day, and then it gets really expensive

Like $40 a week on fucking gum. Cheaper to dip

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:26 pm

baal hadad wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Literally no one can see you use it. I use it at work frequently. It's a nonissue

Patches definitely work. It's for all day yes

Gum is good. Get it at Costco if you can. Get 4mg

The only problem with gums that it's very easy to go through a whole sheet of about 14 or so in a day, and then it gets really expensive

Like $40 a week on fucking gum. Cheaper to dip
I've worried about the gum getting too expensive. I haven't tried the gum yet. Do you actually get a buzz like you do from dip or no? I'm having a hard time imagining that gum can replace the beautiful flavor and buzz of Copenhagen long cut.
Plus, there is something relaxing about spitting into an empty Chipotle cup.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:51 pm

I dipped in my office sometimes during my SA. My office mate was cool with it and literally no one but other summer associates ever stepped foot in my office. I also saw 3 associates dipping in their offices and was even offered a lip by two of them (one was a first year I was pretty cool with and the other was a mid level who saw me notice his can and cup). This was in the nyc office of a nyc based vault firm. I'm not going to advise you one way or the other or say it's a good idea to do, but It is pretty naive to say/think that no one in nyc big law is using smokeless tobacco. I also know of an associate who would puff an e cig in their office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I dipped in my office sometimes during my SA. My office mate was cool with it and literally no one but other summer associates ever stepped foot in my office. I also saw 3 associates dipping in their offices and was even offered a lip by two of them (one was a first year I was pretty cool with and the other was a mid level who saw me notice his can and cup). This was in the nyc office of a nyc based vault firm. I'm not going to advise you one way or the other or say it's a good idea to do, but It is pretty naive to say/think that no one in nyc big law is using smokeless tobacco. I also know of an associate who would puff an e cig in their office
This CAN'T be true! Not in an NYC biglaw firm! People in NYC DO NOT DIP! This is a made up story! Haven't you heard that absolutely no one in NYC would ever dip in their office? Especially, not an SA. I guarantee you got no offered because of this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”