Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kellyfrost

Platinum

Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:21 pm

I'm hoping someone has some experience or insight into this topic that they can share.

Is using chewing tobacco at the office acceptable? Obviously, I wouldn't be doing this during important meetings, but doing it in my office while sitting at my desk.

Is this something I need to hide? Like lock my door? Or spit discreetly into a Starbucks coffee cup?

Anyone have any insight here? I'm tried of having to go sit in the stall and chew.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baal hadad

Gold

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Post by baal hadad » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I snus or nicotine gum

I'll dip if its late and only cool associates are around

I'd burn some heaters at firm events tho occasionally

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:44 pm

baal hadad wrote:I snus or nicotine gum

I'll dip if its late and only cool associates are around

I'd burn some heaters at firm events tho occasionally

I haven't tried nicotine gum. Does it pack a good punch? Snus just doesn't carry the same punch (or strong flavor) like Copehagen Long Cut.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:53 pm

The gum is ok, but not the same experience (as pathetic as that sounds). Snus - particularly the large camel snus ain't bad.. That has become my go to

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:42 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:The gum is ok, but not the same experience (as pathetic as that sounds). Snus - particularly the large camel snus ain't bad.. That has become my go to

I might have to look into camel Suns.

What kind of dip do you prefer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:57 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:The gum is ok, but not the same experience (as pathetic as that sounds). Snus - particularly the large camel snus ain't bad.. That has become my go to

Cope long cut strsight

butlerraider1

Bronze

Post by butlerraider1 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

Grizzly wintergreen longcut is the GOAT

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:29 pm

butlerraider1 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Grizzly wintergreen longcut is the GOAT
I really like Grizzly Wintergreen as well. I had to switch back to Cope Long Cut to give my lip and taste buds a little change up.

Anyone here ever chew Rooster wintergreen? Do they even make that anymore? I can't find it anywhere.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:24 am

Chewing tobacco is disgusting and unless you actually are the boss, I can't imagine it ever being okay in an office.

For the sake of your health and career, quit now

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:30 am

Can't speak for other places, but that wouldn't fly in NYC

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:33 am

bearsfan23 wrote:Chewing tobacco is disgusting and unless you actually are the boss, I can't imagine it ever being okay in an office.

Seriously. I have never known anyone to do this in or out of an office. I think this question might be a joke.
In NYC you would be shunned and thought of as a hick. It's a disgusting habit. It would hurt you.

Can't you get your nicotine / energy high some other way?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 am

Chew was like barely acceptable among the utility linemen at my old job. I can't imagine a professional legal environment where it would be viewed as anything except wildly inappropriate.
Also, it's repulsive.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:07 am

Tls2016 wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:Chewing tobacco is disgusting and unless you actually are the boss, I can't imagine it ever being okay in an office.

Seriously. I have never known anyone to do this in or out of an office. I think this question might be a joke.
In NYC you would be shunned and thought of as a hick. It's a disgusting habit. It would hurt you.

yeah it's not a thing

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:18 am

I worked at a Midlaw firm in the rust belt where it was cool. Partners would dip all the time, and I sometimes did too in the office. Was the best law firm. Really wish I stayed there. Instead I chased prestige and money and now I'm miserable.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:21 am

Tls2016 wrote:

This question is 100% not a joke, but gentlemen, please at least be aware that dip makes your breath smell like the devil's asscrack, and have a way to correct for that.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:23 pm

kaiser wrote:Can't speak for other places, but that wouldn't fly in NYC

Interesting perspectives from different regions of the country. So it wouldn't work in NYC? Thank god I don't live there, for numerous reasons. It is interesting that smoking is considered healthier, less "gross" and more socially acceptable.

I'm guessing if I worked in Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, or Alabama dipping at work might be more acceptable.

I think you'd be surprised the number of lawyers who dip. I'm just gauging whether or not it is acceptable in other offices. Personally, I choose not to do it when others are in the office. I'd much rather go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet for 10-15 minutes and read some news articles on my phone.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:51 pm

not at all arguing that its acceptable. But, if you do snus (for those of you who dont use - it doesn't require you to spit) you can 100% get away with it without anyone ever knowing. Just do it when in office alone, you'll be fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:20 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

Interesting perspectives from different regions of the country. So it wouldn't work in NYC? Thank god I don't live there, for numerous reasons. It is interesting that smoking is considered healthier, less "gross" and more socially acceptable.

I'm guessing if I worked in Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, or Alabama dipping at work might be more acceptable.

I think you'd be surprised the number of lawyers who dip. I'm just gauging whether or not it is acceptable in other offices. Personally, I choose not to do it when others are in the office. I'd much rather go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet for 10-15 minutes and read some news articles on my phone.
Smoking doesn't really fly in NYC, either, with the exception of the occasional social cig. Definitely less inappropriate than dip, but not by a lot, and definitely still not cool to do during working hours.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:30 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Smoking doesn't really fly in NYC, either, with the exception of the occasional social cig. Definitely less inappropriate than dip, but not by a lot, and definitely still not cool to do during working hours.
Good to know re smoking.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
TTTooKewl wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Good to know re smoking.
Smokers are shunned in the city too if it makes you feel better about your gross habit.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

eh there was definitely a smoker crew, though it wasn't common

NO ONE in norcal smokes at all

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:38 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

Smoking isn't consider healthier or more socially acceptable in NYC. Sure, more people use cigarettes than chewing tobacco, but its increasingly seen as a gross habit (though it wouldn't stand out as much as chewing tobacco).

I'd imagine that chewing tobacco would be more acceptable (relatively-speaking) in a place like LA, AR, KY or AL. But again, I can't speak for any place outside of the mid-atlantic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Used to throw big lippers in at my T14 law school library. Was quite possibly the only person who did so. Got bemused looks/comments mostly

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Used to throw big lippers in at my T14 law school library. Was quite possibly the only person who did so. Got bemused looks/comments mostly
LOL! What were some of the comments?

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:36 pm

As others have said, it doesn't really fly in in NY law scene.

Completely different in the NY banking/trading scene at many shops where desks are littered with spitters, and analysts and interns are often expected to have extra tins for their superiors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”