Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
why do you insure jewelry worth only 8k?

If you apply for a new policy do you have to disclose all prior claims?
Why do I insure jewelry only worth 8k? Because if it is damaged, lost, stolen, or disappears, I have full coverage to replace the jewelry with no deductible cost, for a premium of $88 per year. If I paid $88 per year, I would have to go 90.9 years before I spent $8,000 in premium which is the current value of the jewelry. Seems like a smart move, in my opinion.

As far as disclosing prior claims, I would recommend you purchase a jewelry only policy through Jeweler's Mutual Insurance Company. I can't remember if they ask for prior claims, but they would only be interested in claims on jewelry in the past if they do ask. They wouldn't take into account or rate on previous non-jewelry claims.
ballouttacontrol: Does this make sense to you?
whats your commission?
I don't sell the policy. I purchased it. No idea what the commission is on the policy.[/quote]

why are you so interested in insurance?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:10 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

I just find it very interesting and intriguing. I love learning about it, thinking about it, and talking about it. In many ways, insurance touches on nearly every aspect of our lives.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:32 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

I just find it very interesting and intriguing. I love learning about it, thinking about it, and talking about it. In many ways, insurance touches on nearly every aspect of our lives.
This is aspire af.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Aspire?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:24 am

kellyfrost wrote:Aspire?
You heard him. It's aspire af

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 am

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Aspire?
You heard him. It's aspire af
I didn't think it was aspire.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Sorry to come back on this but smokeless tobacco is a no no in office in nyc. Even e cigs are a no no in office. Obviously if you hide it well, whatevs. But if people figure it out, they will look at you like a leper.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Pokemon wrote:Sorry to come back on this but smokeless tobacco is a no no in office in nyc. Even e cigs are a no no in office. Obviously if you hide it well, whatevs. But if people figure it out, they will look at you like a leper.
Wait, like smoking e-cigs in the office? Of course thats a no-no..

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Pokemon wrote:Sorry to come back on this but smokeless tobacco is a no no in office in nyc. Even e cigs are a no no in office. Obviously if you hide it well, whatevs. But if people figure it out, they will look at you like a leper.
Interesting. Do they tell you this about chewing or is it understood?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on where I can dip during work or take a break and have it not be awkward.

It seems like every time I dip in my office someone comes in and wants to talk, at length about something, and is distracted by why my cheeks look like a squrrrle who is storing nuts.

Then the obvious "You chew??? Disgusting! Do your other co workers know?"

I don't want to go stand outside and do it or go sit in my car. I have been sitting on the toilet in a stall in the men's room but that is getting old too and the cell phone service (I.e., data) is poor in there.

Any creative ideas or spots I might be missing?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lettow

New

Post by Lettow » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:01 am

Have partners in your office expressed outward dislike for people who chew/smoke/etc.? Although I've quit, I used to smoke. During my 2L summer, I didn't tell anyone unless they asked, and I didn't hide it, either. I went outside for a few minutes once every 1.5-2 hours, and I never had a problem. I even smoked on breaks during lengthy depositions. No gum or hand washing or any of that, too. Some of the partners knew, and my supervisor knew. Nobody seemed to care. During my post-grad clerkship, before I quit smoking, people knew and also didn't seem to care.

Unless you live in a liberal state where you get looks by almost everyone, or you have reason to believe (important) people at your office will actually dislike you (and not overlook the chewing for your positive traits) if they found out, the fear might be more in your head.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Judge out today, co-clerk out today, 'bout to throw in a fatty. Let the summer Fridays begin!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Lettow wrote:Have partners in your office expressed outward dislike for people who chew/smoke/etc.? Although I've quit, I used to smoke. During my 2L summer, I didn't tell anyone unless they asked, and I didn't hide it, either. I went outside for a few minutes once every 1.5-2 hours, and I never had a problem. I even smoked on breaks during lengthy depositions. No gum or hand washing or any of that, too. Some of the partners knew, and my supervisor knew. Nobody seemed to care. During my post-grad clerkship, before I quit smoking, people knew and also didn't seem to care.

Unless you live in a liberal state where you get looks by almost everyone, or you have reason to believe (important) people at your office will actually dislike you (and not overlook the chewing for your positive traits) if they found out, the fear might be more in your head.
Oddly enough, and this might not make sense, but the outward dislike is only geared towards smokers. Never picked up on any ill will towards chewers. Other than the occasional "that is disgusting!" type comment. I think the fear might be more in my head.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Judge out today, co-clerk out today, 'bout to throw in a fatty. Let the summer Fridays begin!
What you do dip?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lettow

New

Post by Lettow » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:04 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Oddly enough, and this might not make sense, but the outward dislike is only geared towards smokers. Never picked up on any ill will towards chewers. Other than the occasional "that is disgusting!" type comment. I think the fear might be more in my head.
Yeah, that seems to be true here, too. Way more people dipped in law school than (openly) smoked. Maybe the second hand smoke aspect really gets to some people, and/or dipping is more culturally accepted because of farming, ranching, etc. culture.

But yeah, I'd probably just dip while trying not to worry about it, if people don't seem to mind at work. To those who have the gall to tell you it's disgusting, own it: It's delicious/whatever.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Lettow wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Oddly enough, and this might not make sense, but the outward dislike is only geared towards smokers. Never picked up on any ill will towards chewers. Other than the occasional "that is disgusting!" type comment. I think the fear might be more in my head.
Yeah, that seems to be true here, too. Way more people dipped in law school than (openly) smoked. Maybe the second hand smoke aspect really gets to some people, and/or dipping is more culturally accepted because of farming, ranching, etc. culture.

But yeah, I'd probably just dip while trying not to worry about it, if people don't seem to mind at work. To those who have the gall to tell you it's disgusting, own it: It's delicious/whatever.
It is delicious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Judge out today, co-clerk out today, 'bout to throw in a fatty. Let the summer Fridays begin!
What you do dip?
Generally Grizzly wintergreen pouches for the ease of clean up. Today, Skoal wintergreen pouches bc I had to buy near the court and this is the kind of city that has a limited selection downtown - i.e no selection.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
What you do dip?
Generally Grizzly wintergreen pouches for the ease of clean up. Today, Skoal wintergreen pouches bc I had to buy near the court and this is the kind of city that has a limited selection downtown - i.e no selection.
Love wintergreen Grizzly pouches.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Lettow wrote:

maybe because when u smoke you wreak. sat next to a heavy smoker in class in law school sometimes and it was pretty bad

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:09 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Lettow wrote:

maybe because when u smoke you wreak. sat next to a heavy smoker in class in law school sometimes and it was pretty bad
I love when someone notices me chewing and comments on how disgusting chewing tobacco is, then they proceed to light up a cigarette. Pot calling the kettle black, no?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Mon May 01, 2017 9:33 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
Lettow wrote:

I love when someone notices me chewing and comments on how disgusting chewing tobacco is, then they proceed to light up a cigarette. Pot calling the kettle black, no?

Hmm... this might depend by region. Pretty sure in NYC for example smoking is more accepted than dipping, but might be opposite elsewhere. In Europe there is probably no stigma yet when it comes to smoking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 pm

chargers21 wrote:In my part of the midwest, dipping is popular both with the intellectuals and blue collar people. At one of my recent jobs where I worked for forever, chewing was very popular, indoors and out (ag business). When corporate handed down a zero tobacco policy on company time, even management threw a shit fit. I quit that job about 2 weeks after the rule change because I couldn't handle 12 hour days with only getting a smoke break worth of chew time
Without outing yourself, do you mind sharing where in the midwest you worked? The area of the country where I have noticed dipping to be the most popular, based upon my somewhat limited work travels, has been Texas.

Good on your former company for fighting that zero tobacco policy though!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I think in the northeast dipping/chewing is definitely seen as more disgusting than smoking. I have never seen anyone chew/dip in a professional setting anywhere I've worked, though (admittedly if it is as easy to hide as you guys claim it's possible I just didn't notice).

Also the local TV stations have started running lovely PSAs about the dangers of dip, showing people with half their face/jaw removed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”