Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:56 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:I dipped allllll summer during my summer associate. No one was the wiser.
Did you dip snus, long cut, or pouches? Snus is easy to hide. The others are more difficult, unless you aren't spitting. I can't just gut the stuff, plus I find the spitting to be the enjoyable and relaxing part.
Pouches.

ETA: there was one close call of getting caught.
Tell us the story of almost getting caught. Would it have mattered or would it be more that you were embarassed?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:15 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:I dipped allllll summer during my summer associate. No one was the wiser.
Did you dip snus, long cut, or pouches? Snus is easy to hide. The others are more difficult, unless you aren't spitting. I can't just gut the stuff, plus I find the spitting to be the enjoyable and relaxing part.
Pouches.

Tell us the story of almost getting caught. Would it have mattered or would it be more that you were embarassed?
I really can't imagine anyone caring. I'm in Texas, so I may be a little biased, but I don't see why anyone would see it as any different than smoking.

On the other note, I wouldn't leave your can in the hot car all day. It'll definitely dry out. You'll also get a MUCH better buzz with long cut than pouches. The only people I know that use pouches are using them to ween themselves off so they can stop.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:04 pm

p1921 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Pouches.

I really can't imagine anyone caring. I'm in Texas, so I may be a little biased, but I don't see why anyone would see it as any different than smoking.

On the other note, I wouldn't leave your can in the hot car all day. It'll definitely dry out. You'll also get a MUCH better buzz with long cut than pouches. The only people I know that use pouches are using them to ween themselves off so they can stop.
I used to dip long cut, sometimes Copenhagen sometimes Grizzly Wintergreen. I switched over to pouches for two reasons, one of them being I was looking to try and ween off dip and the other was I wanted a quicker and easier clean up so I could do it more easily in the office ect.

What has happened is I didn't ween and now I kind of like pouches for the convenience.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Bumping this thread to see if any newcomers want to weigh in or if anyone has anything to add to the thread/discussion.

I've started dipping at my desk again recently. Today, only a two people came in and looked at me funny. I had my dip stuffed up in my upper gum/ cheek region.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Bumping this thread to see if any newcomers want to weigh in or if anyone has anything to add to the thread/discussion.

I've started dipping at my desk again recently. Today, only a two people came in and looked at me funny. I had my dip stuffed up in my upper gum/ cheek region.
Pouches? Long cut? Snus? I've been doing snus (sucks, but what can you do) recently in my lower left/right gum and I swear its invisible. . . Also leaving the small firm I work at during the school year pre bar review, so I don't give a crap..

Before, I was doing pouches but I had a close call or two and gave it up at work. Lack of spitting makes it much easier to conceal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Bumping this thread to see if any newcomers want to weigh in or if anyone has anything to add to the thread/discussion.

Pouches? Long cut? Snus? I've been doing snus (sucks, but what can you do) recently in my lower left/right gum and I swear its invisible. . . Also leaving the small firm I work at during the school year pre bar review, so I don't give a crap..

Before, I was doing pouches but I had a close call or two and gave it up at work. Lack of spitting makes it much easier to conceal.
I have been doing pouches at work. I do spit, but that is the part i enjoy the most. I have never liked snus because I didn't feel like it did anything for me.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:57 pm

The inability of some law students/lawyers to have any clue what is going on in the world around them is mindblowing.

Most people are not doing any type of tobacco product at work. No idea what the number is, but a non-insignificant number are doing some type of snus. I'd think people actually doing dip, or something where you have to spit, is small, but I know a v-10 lawyer in San Fran who does it. I doubt his co-workers know, but the idea that some cities are immune to this type of thing is insane.

Personally, I can't imagine anyone thinking any different of you for using snus type products at work. And it should be easy to hide in any case.

Probably not the best idea to openly dip in front of your colleagues, but I'd be shocked if most big law folks actually cared if they found out you did it behind closed doors/at late hours, etc. I guess it's by firm/group though. I've found anal retentiveness doesn't really correlate to prestige or ability. Chill and less chill people just tend to gravitate towards each other.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:10 pm

I dip at my desk sometimes, NYC biglaw. Grizzly wintergreen long cut. I'm a bit paranoid about getting caught, so generally close the door, but as a backup I keep a bag of sunflower seeds on my desk so I can start chomping on those if someone important rolls by and I need a cover story.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm

I was recently a guest speaker at a conference in Texas. The majority of the people in attendance were "blue collar" nothing wrong with that at all, that is just the best way to describe them. While I was speaking and looking around the crowd seated at tables in a large hotel ballroom, I noticed that a shocking number, probably 40%, of the people sitting in the crowd were dipping and spitting into something.

I honestly thought it was awesome, because here I am at work trying to dip under the radar so I won't piss anyone off and there these guys were just spitting away in whatever bottle or cups they had in front of them.

After my presentation was over, I went and sat back down at my seat in the crowd and pulled out a trusty can of Copenhagen Long Cut and threw in a dip.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm

ClubberLang wrote:I dip at my desk sometimes, NYC biglaw. Grizzly wintergreen long cut. I'm a bit paranoid about getting caught, so generally close the door, but as a backup I keep a bag of sunflower seeds on my desk so I can start chomping on those if someone important rolls by and I need a cover story.
How much is a can of Grizzly in NYC?

Can you find it at most stores or do you have to go looking for it?

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:00 am

kellyfrost wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:I dip at my desk sometimes, NYC biglaw. Grizzly wintergreen long cut. I'm a bit paranoid about getting caught, so generally close the door, but as a backup I keep a bag of sunflower seeds on my desk so I can start chomping on those if someone important rolls by and I need a cover story.

Expensive, like $7. It's also a pain in the ass to find, but 7-11 is pretty reliable.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am

ClubberLang wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Expensive, like $7. It's also a pain in the ass to find, but 7-11 is pretty reliable.
I don't live in NYC (luckily) but I travel to large cities, especially if you are staying in a downtown hotel, finding a can is a pan in the butt.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:Does redman count? I keep telling myself chew=/=dip. I love them both too much, but really should quit again.
spitting in the library > anything

I thought you would be a good addition to this thread. Please read through the thread and feel free to chime in and offer anything you wish to add to the conversation. Don't be afraid to bump old comments if you find them worthy of responding to.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:Does redman count? I keep telling myself chew=/=dip. I love them both too much, but really should quit again.

I thought you would be a good addition to this thread. Please read through the thread and feel free to chime in and offer anything you wish to add to the conversation. Don't be afraid to bump old comments if you find them worthy of responding to.
I like you. If i'm ever looking for insurance you'll be the first I call

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

I am not licensed to sell insurance; however, I can point you in the direction of some good companies for your insurance needs. You need to get an auto insurance quote from American National Insurance Company. https://client.anpac.info/Webquotes/Aut ... o&ZipCode=

If you have any other questions about insurance, corn, dipping, or sports betting, let me know. Those are areas of interest to me that I like discussing. I recently helped a buddy insure his wife's engagement ring, wedding band, and his wedding band for no deductible, cheap premium, and more coverage than he would have had under his renter's insurance policy. I will gladly help you out too.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

I am not licensed to sell insurance; however, I can point you in the direction of some good companies for your insurance needs. You need to get an auto insurance quote from American National Insurance Company. https://client.anpac.info/Webquotes/Aut ... o&ZipCode=

If you have any other questions about insurance, corn, dipping, or sports betting, let me know. Those are areas of interest to me that I like discussing. I recently helped a buddy insure his wife's engagement ring, wedding band, and his wedding band for no deductible, cheap premium, and more coverage than he would have had under his renter's insurance policy. I will gladly help you out too.
app'x. value of ring?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

app'x. value of ring?
No idea on his. But I insure about $8k of jewelry with $0 deductible, coverage for loss, stolen, damage, and mysterious disappearance and the annual premium is $88.
I even had a claim in 2015 and my rates weren't increased.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

app'x. value of ring?
No idea on his. But I insure about $8k of jewelry with $0 deductible, coverage for loss, stolen, damage, and mysterious disappearance and the annual premium is $88.
why do you insure jewelry worth only 8k?

If you apply for a new policy do you have to disclose all prior claims?

yogotti

New

Post by yogotti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Weighing in on the dip:
Associate at the mid-size firm where I work part-time does Copenhagen in his office. Been meaning to ask if it is a thing with partners, but I don't have the chutzpah to do it in the office yet. He is apparently pretty well regarded overall.

Law School Library: I am dipping all the time. In library, big chunk of Copenhagen Wintergreen Long Cut in, ready to bust out some partnership tax reading.

I had stopped dipping and went to vaping for a while, but you have to stop and go outside to vape. I can pop in a dip and keep working. Efficiency + nicotine buzz for the win.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

yogotti wrote:Weighing in on the dip:
Associate at the mid-size firm where I work part-time does Copenhagen in his office. Been meaning to ask if it is a thing with partners, but I don't have the chutzpah to do it in the office yet. He is apparently pretty well regarded overall.

Law School Library: I am dipping all the time. In library, big chunk of Copenhagen Wintergreen Long Cut in, ready to bust out some partnership tax reading.

I had stopped dipping and went to vaping for a while, but you have to stop and go outside to vape. I can pop in a dip and keep working. Efficiency + nicotine buzz for the win.
Partner next to me who pops in my office is working from home. Currently have a lip in right now. Glorious.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

app'x. value of ring?

Why do I insure jewelry only worth 8k? Because if it is damaged, lost, stolen, or disappears, I have full coverage to replace the jewelry with no deductible cost, for a premium of $88 per year. If I paid $88 per year, I would have to go 90.9 years before I spent $8,000 in premium which is the current value of the jewelry. Seems like a smart move, in my opinion.

As far as disclosing prior claims, I would recommend you purchase a jewelry only policy through Jeweler's Mutual Insurance Company. I can't remember if they ask for prior claims, but they would only be interested in claims on jewelry in the past if they do ask. They wouldn't take into account or rate on previous non-jewelry claims.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:35 pm

yogotti wrote:Weighing in on the dip:

Not having to go outside is a huge plus for dipping. I never really enjoyed smoking, I was always drawn to dipping. And as strange as this sounds, i think it is because of the act of spitting. There is just something about spitting into a cup or bottle that is calming and enjoyable to me. I really like sunflower seeds for that reason too.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

Why do I insure jewelry only worth 8k? Because if it is damaged, lost, stolen, or disappears, I have full coverage to replace the jewelry with no deductible cost, for a premium of $88 per year. If I paid $88 per year, I would have to go 90.9 years before I spent $8,000 in premium which is the current value of the jewelry. Seems like a smart move, in my opinion.

As far as disclosing prior claims, I would recommend you purchase a jewelry only policy through Jeweler's Mutual Insurance Company. I can't remember if they ask for prior claims, but they would only be interested in claims on jewelry in the past if they do ask. They wouldn't take into account or rate on previous non-jewelry claims.[/quote]

ballouttacontrol: Does this make sense to you?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

As far as disclosing prior claims, I would recommend you purchase a jewelry only policy through Jeweler's Mutual Insurance Company. I can't remember if they ask for prior claims, but they would only be interested in claims on jewelry in the past if they do ask. They wouldn't take into account or rate on previous non-jewelry claims.
ballouttacontrol: Does this make sense to you?[/quote]

whats your commission?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

ballouttacontrol: Does this make sense to you?
whats your commission?[/quote]

I don't sell the policy. I purchased it. No idea what the commission is on the policy.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”