Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 28, 2016 1:07 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I've been trying snus but it isn't doing anything for me. Does it even have nicotien? Nicorett gum packs more of a punch.
What kind you buying? Camel snus is weak and you usually have to tell the cashier to make sure they get the large pouches. The regular camel snus size is tiny.

Sometimes I'll pack two at a time.
I was trying Marloboro brand snus. However, I've been doing some looking on the internet and this is a.great website you can order Swedish snus from: http://us.northerner.com/swedish-snus

You can filter your product search by strength of the snus. I'm thinking of buying some of the four star strength "Thunder" brand snus.
For frame of reference, when alone at the office or on the gold course I usually put in 4 pouches of Grizzly Wintergreen at a time.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sat May 28, 2016 2:36 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I've been trying snus but it isn't doing anything for me. Does it even have nicotien? Nicorett gum packs more of a punch.
What kind you buying? Camel snus is weak and you usually have to tell the cashier to make sure they get the large pouches. The regular camel snus size is tiny.

I was trying Marloboro brand snus. However, I've been doing some looking on the internet and this is a.great website you can order Swedish snus from: http://us.northerner.com/swedish-snus

You can filter your product search by strength of the snus. I'm thinking of buying some of the four star strength "Thunder" brand snus.
For frame of reference, when alone at the office or on the gold course I usually put in 4 pouches of Grizzly Wintergreen at a time.
Yeah you'll have to let me know if you like it. Are you gonna buy it in bulk? I'm not too much of a snus snob--half the time i do it just because it keeps me occupied, like on long car rides and while studying--but i've been pretty disappointed in camel.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 28, 2016 3:35 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

Yeah you'll have to let me know if you like it. Are you gonna buy it in bulk? I'm not too much of a snus snob--half the time i do it just because it keeps me occupied, like on long car rides and while studying--but i've been pretty disappointed in camel.
I'll keep you posted on whether or not I end up ordering the snus.
Do you dip regular chewing tobacco or pouches too or do you just do snus?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sat May 28, 2016 3:42 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

Right now I just do snus--I like how I don't have to spit it out if I don't want to (like if I'm in a conversation with someone who doesn't know I dip, etc) I used to do long cut but I started doing snus when I graduated college

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 28, 2016 3:56 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

Right now I just do snus--I like how I don't have to spit it out if I don't want to (like if I'm in a conversation with someone who doesn't know I dip, etc) I used to do long cut but I started doing snus when I graduated college

Makes sense. I've done long cut and pouches. I was interested in snus because, as you have noted, it isn't always convenient to be dipping or spitting all the time. I thought snus would help but that Marolboro junk didn't pack enough punch. I'm also wondering if part of my mental addiction to the stuff is spitting. As odd as it sounds, spitting is very relaxing and fulfilling to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

Makes sense. I've done long cut and pouches. I was interested in snus because, as you have noted, it isn't always convenient to be dipping or spitting all the time. I thought snus would help but that Marolboro junk didn't pack enough punch. I'm also wondering if part of my mental addiction to the stuff is spitting. As odd as it sounds, spitting is very relaxing and fulfilling to me.
I wouldn't doubt the addiction to spitting. I read somewhere that half the reason most MLB players dip is because they just want to spit. Although i've never been able to get into sunflower seed spitting--mainly just because I hate having to chew the seeds and stuff.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 29, 2016 8:11 am

It's crazy but that spitting thing is a mental addiction and I can't seem to shake it! Damnit!
How did you quit after dipping long cut?

Not only do MLB players dip, but I have read that it.is very popular among NFL locker rooms. If you read this entire thread, you would discover that dipping supposedly isn't done in big law, at all. I don't know, I don't work in big law.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 am

kellyfrost wrote:It's crazy but that spitting thing is a mental addiction and I can't seem to shake it! Damnit!

Not only do MLB players dip, but I have read that it.is very popular among NFL locker rooms. If you read this entire thread, you would discover that dipping supposedly isn't done in big law, at all. I don't know, I don't work in big law.
In the DA's office I interned at 2L and 3L year, a lot of people dipped. It's not a big deal if you have your own office.

Have you ever heard that nhl players stick pouches in between their toes during games to get a buzz?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 am

ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:It's crazy but that spitting thing is a mental addiction and I can't seem to shake it! Damnit!

In the DA's office I interned at 2L and 3L year, a lot of people dipped. It's not a big deal if you have your own office.

Have you ever heard that nhl players stick pouches in between their toes during games to get a buzz?
I have heard that. Not quite sure if it would work, but it might.

Are you working or still a student?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

Just graduated and start my job in August after the Bar

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 29, 2016 4:29 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

Just graduated and start my job in August after the Bar
Awesome. Good luck with the studying and the bar this summer. If you don't mind me asking, what state are you taking the bar in? PM if you'd like to remain anonymous.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:12 am

Does snus need to stay in a cool spot to stay good? I've been keeping my cans in my car during the day and I've noticed that the pouches seem to lose their taste and I get less of a buzz as I get further into the can.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:47 am

Probably drying out and essentially cooking in the car. Doesn't need to be a "cool" spot per se, but room temperature is certainly better than the car. Also, its not an illegal product, you can keep it in your desk.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:53 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Probably drying out and essentially cooking in the car. Doesn't need to be a "cool" spot per se, but room temperature is certainly better than the car. Also, its not an illegal product, you can keep it in your desk.
Figured. I'll have to buy a new tin at lunch.

And yeah I know I can keep it in my office--I'll do that now. I honestly just always forget it in my car. I've got a pretty long commute so I dip then and keep my tins in the console.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:26 pm

RedGiant wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Chew was like barely acceptable among the utility linemen at my old job. I can't imagine a professional legal environment where it would be viewed as anything except wildly inappropriate.
Also, it's repulsive.
Eh, I completely agree it's repulsive. I have worked in investment banking and in biglaw, and I've seen it both places, usually from ridic bros. It's hugely disgusting. No, I don't want to see your dip container/spit/mouthwash bottle/Starbucks cup/wad of dip bulging out of your mouth while you try to act like it's NBD. Has definitely made me think less of my colleagues. That said, I've worked at firms where bro-ishness is rewarded, so...not sure that everyone else was as horrified as I was.

I would never ever dip (especially because I'm a woman), but I can tell you that it made me think, "Wow, I used to respect that atty and think he was pretty smart, but now I can see he's just bro-ish trailer trash with a filthy habit/not smart enough not to dip."

I did respect people who dipped more than the attys that did coke at my firms though, FWIW.
Your use of "redic bros" is as disgusting as your perception of the people you judge here, Ms.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:29 pm

She's not alone, though.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:45 pm

ronanOgara wrote:Does snus need to stay in a cool spot to stay good? I've been keeping my cans in my car during the day and I've noticed that the pouches seem to lose their taste and I get less of a buzz as I get further into the can.
Keeping the snus in your car with the summer heat will cause it to dry out and lose flavor. Room temperature is probably best. I knew people who used to by "logs" of chew (not snus, but long cut) and they would keep the cans they weren't using in their freezer to help keep them fresh.

If you are storing a large quantity for use at a later time, I think a cool environment would help keep it fresh. But if you just have a can/tin on you, no need to keep it in a cool spot.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:She's not alone, though.
We should have a debate ITT where NYC big law associates argue with rural lawyers about whether dipping is normal.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
We should have a debate ITT where NYC big law associates argue with rural lawyers about whether dipping is normal.
I am all for that. Or starting another thread all together with the title similar to stated above. Do you want to focus on whether or not it is "normal" or "acceptable?" I don't think there is any debate as to whether it is "enjoyable." 8)
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:10 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
I am all for that. Or starting another thread all together with the title similar to stated above. Do you want to focus on whether or not it is "normal" or "acceptable?" I don't think there is any debate as to whether it is "enjoyable." 8)
I was being sarcastic in regards to the first 3 pages of this thread where all the NYC peeps said it was abnormal and all the non-NYC peeps said it was normal. It's a dumb merry-go-round.

I really couldn't care less about whether other people think dipping is gross. I dip because it's so damn relaxing, not because I think it's cool or attractive. Hell, I think it's gross. But I also think scrapple is gross and I eat that stuff on the reg.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 pm

I dipped allllll summer during my summer associate. No one was the wiser.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:26 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I dipped allllll summer during my summer associate. No one was the wiser.
Did you dip snus, long cut, or pouches? Snus is easy to hide. The others are more difficult, unless you aren't spitting. I can't just gut the stuff, plus I find the spitting to be the enjoyable and relaxing part.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:I dipped allllll summer during my summer associate. No one was the wiser.
Did you dip snus, long cut, or pouches? Snus is easy to hide. The others are more difficult, unless you aren't spitting. I can't just gut the stuff, plus I find the spitting to be the enjoyable and relaxing part.
Am I the only person who spits snus? If I don't think it's appropriate (in conversation, etc) I won't spit but I'll spit when I'm alone.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Pouches.

ETA: there was one close call of getting caught.
Last edited by RaceJudicata on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:13 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Am I the only person who spits snus? If I don't think it's appropriate (in conversation, etc) I won't spit but I'll spit when I'm alone.
I spit snus and so do the few people I know that use it. If I pack two pouches not only am I spitting, but I am spitting a lot. One pouch and I will spit a little.

To those that asked before, you should be able to find General Swedish Snus at many NYC tobacco shops. IME that is the best stuff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”