1L summer with patent search firm: Global Patent Solutions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DecisionMaker100

New

1L summer with patent search firm: Global Patent Solutions

Post by DecisionMaker100 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I have an offer for a 1L summer with the patent search firm Global Patent Solutions where I had to go through three rounds of interviews for the position which is in Scottsdale, Arizona: https://www.globalpatentsolutions.com/

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the firm, or with similar firms? I have another offer from my school to work as a research assistant, which pays the same amount as the job with global patent solutions, and I'm trying to decide between the two.

ksb1

New

Re: 1L summer with patent search firm: Global Patent Solutions

Post by ksb1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Did you end up taking this job? What was your experience with the company?
Last edited by ksb1 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:46 pm

I suppose it's not a bad opportunity, especially if you're interested in focusing on patent prosecution, but even then what you'd be doing is a very, very narrow sub-field within patent prosecution. It's not a bad 1L summer job, just very niche, and probably going to consist of some very repetitive prior art searches.

If you can land a position with a small IP boutique I think you'd gain much more valuable experience (even as an unpaid law clerk, if you can do that financially). Just being able to go into OCI and job interviews and saying "I helped draft a patent/trademark application" will be so much more valuable.

Person with PhD below, I think you should definitely have more options.
DecisionMaker100 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have an offer for a 1L summer with the patent search firm Global Patent Solutions where I had to go through three rounds of interviews for the position which is in Scottsdale, Arizona: https://www.globalpatentsolutions.com/

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the firm, or with similar firms? I have another offer from my school to work as a research assistant, which pays the same amount as the job with global patent solutions, and I'm trying to decide between the two.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 pm

If you are doing it part time while in school, then I think it's fine in order to gain a little bit of experience and some pocket money. However, I would avoid summer or full-time work if possible. The prior art searches and other work that these companies do are some of the most mundane and least challenging parts of patent practice. That's why it's outsourced from firms to these companies. Echoing the above poster, actual substantive experience is much more valuable and marketable.

ksb1

New

Post by ksb1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info!
Last edited by ksb1 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

ksb1 wrote:Thanks for the info. It is a 4 week "winter program", so not my 1L Summer Job (which is elsewhere). Leaning toward yes because it will be some experience and money over a time where I would otherwise be doing nada. Main source of skepticism is that they provide one big house for the 3 interns to live in.
Sounds freaking fun. I really don't see the downside. Also if I were you, I'd be more careful about posting very specific information about offers to small places; any lawyer at that firm who might read this forum could potentially figure out who you are.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 am

don't do this for your summer, especially 1L summer, unless you somehow cant get almost literally anything else.

Patent searching really isn't even legal work and you will very rarely if ever do your own searches if you go to an established patent law firm

edit: if u just wanna make a few $ part-time during the school year, meh, whatever, but don't expect it to provide you any useful skills or anything

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't think it's a bad option, but do understand it is unlikely to help you get even an iota closer to a patent job. Taking the Patent Bar would be a better use of your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”