What's going on in Texas? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pneumonia

Gold

Re: What's going on in Texas?

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like most of the discussion has been focused on corp and less on lit. For Houston:

1. Would a non-hys T6 in the top 1/3 waste a bid by bidding a place like AZA/Reynolds Frizzell etc? What kinds of grades do you generally need?
2. Outside the "elite" boutiques, what are the best trad biglaw firms for lit? Seems like the biggest corp players (VE/BB/Latham/Kirk) don't really emphasize lit very much.
All of these firms extend callbacks and offers to CCN students who are outside the top 1/3. So you're by no means wasting a bid.

Kirkland's lit group is growing, but I'd still say BB is the place to be for lit (if you're going the big firm route). VE has a good lit group too. I don't think Latham really competes in the lit market, at least not yet. If it were me I'd shoot for Kirkland or BB, with Kirkland being a bit of a gamble. But I'd shoot for one or multiple boutique offers before accepting one from a big firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:10 pm

How much more insular is Dallas compared to Houston? I grew up in Texas but don't have direct ties to either city. Bidding more Dallas offices than Houston offices, worried that I'll be grilled about my lack of Dallas ties. Should I be doing it the other way around?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much more insular is Dallas compared to Houston? I grew up in Texas but don't have direct ties to either city. Bidding more Dallas offices than Houston offices, worried that I'll be grilled about my lack of Dallas ties. Should I be doing it the other way around?
Dallas is definitely more insular than Houston, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you need to change your strategy. We need some more info from you.

Where in TX are you from? If you’re from ETX for instance, you probably won’t have any problem selling ties to Dallas. If you’re from Brownsville, you may have more trouble.

What’s your school/grade situation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 am

What has Bracewell’s offer rate been like recently?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

How’s Houston’s lateral market right now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How’s Houston’s lateral market right now?
I'm only a student, but I did extensive networking w/both associates and partners during the recruiting process who pretty uniformly told me that it's on fire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm only a student, but I did extensive networking w/both associates and partners during the recruiting process who pretty uniformly told me that it's on fire.
Did you get the sense that this was mostly with respect to corporate, or for lit also?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you get the sense that this was mostly with respect to corporate, or for lit also?
Corporate only.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Any thoughts on Foley Houston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:28 am

Hi all, what firms have the best PE practice in Houston? K&E?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi all,
Any advice on a health law practice anywhere in Houston willing to hire a recent grad with perfect grades and a Health Law LLM?
Seems like everywhere I apply employers want health law experience.
Did some internships in health law, but nothing bigger than that. How to break this cycle?
Thanks in advance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Bumping up the post and the last question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Any signing bonuses for lateral hires to Houstan? Particularly for 2nd/3rd year corp NY associates? Thinking of making a move down there but also trying to leave finance and go more cap markets or more corp general.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,
Any advice on a health law practice anywhere in Houston willing to hire a recent grad with perfect grades and a Health Law LLM?
Seems like everywhere I apply employers want health law experience.
Did some internships in health law, but nothing bigger than that. How to break this cycle?
Thanks in advance
I hate to say it, but you've missed the biglaw boat if you already graduated. Biglaw is the sort of employer who is willing to train a newbie in a niche practice like healthcare without any background. At this point, I'd focus on getting any sort of substantive legal experience and then trying to work towards the sub-practice you want.

TUwave

New

Post by TUwave » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any signing bonuses for lateral hires to Houstan? Particularly for 2nd/3rd year corp NY associates? Thinking of making a move down there but also trying to leave finance and go more cap markets or more corp general.
Yeah you get a signing bonus of 10% of your paycheck back and your COL cut in half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:18 pm

TUwave wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any signing bonuses for lateral hires to Houstan? Particularly for 2nd/3rd year corp NY associates? Thinking of making a move down there but also trying to leave finance and go more cap markets or more corp general.
Yeah you get a signing bonus of 10% of your paycheck back and your COL cut in half.
I live rent free now so getting my 18k back in taxes/year from my paycheck would be a wash, since I'd have to rent in TX, but still, point noted.

I did hear that mid levels were getting huge signing bonuses like 2-3 years ago but maybe that was bs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TUwave wrote:
I live rent free now so getting my 18k back in taxes/year from my paycheck would be a wash, since I'd have to rent in TX, but still, point noted.

I did hear that mid levels were getting huge signing bonuses like 2-3 years ago but maybe that was bs.
Kirkland Houston was still paying $50,000-$100,000 signing bonuses as of mid-2018. Stressful place, so up to you whether that's worth it. If you want a more relaxed atmosphere, there are a bunch of other lifestyle firms around. I'm at a place that's Milbank scale, virtually no facetime requirement (lots of people work remotely), roughly 2000 hour billable pace, super super chill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Any big/mid law firms in Texas hiring 3Ls right now?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any big/mid law firms in Texas highering 3Ls right now?
Yeeeeesh not with spelling like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Putting feelers out on the market by asking a general question: is your firm’s corporate department slow or busy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Putting feelers out on the market by asking a general question: is your firm’s corporate department slow or busy?
We were slow for February - April. Things are starting to ramp up now.

DeMihiNonCuratLex

New

Post by DeMihiNonCuratLex » Thu May 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any big/mid law firms in Texas highering 3Ls right now?
Yeeeeesh not with spelling like that.
Yeeeeesh abuse of anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Putting feelers out on the market by asking a general question: is your firm’s corporate department slow or busy?
We were slow for February - April. Things are starting to ramp up now.
Any other thoughts?

britdude87

New

Post by britdude87 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Junior looking to lateral to Houston, how are K&E, BB, V&E nowadays on the transactional side?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”