What's going on in Texas? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What's going on in Texas?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anon who confirmed the 1/3 of no offers at NRF Dallas. With the exception of maybe 1, I can confirm they were not well deserved. Definitely surprising.

I'd be interested to know what the no offer rate was at other NRF offices.
FWIW, I got no-offered at NRF's Austin office, despite hearing only positive feedback throughout the summer. As it turns out, this is at least the third year in a row that the SA in my practice group didn't get an offer. So yeah, approach with caution. Luckily I did split and I got an offer from my second firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:56 pm

How can I find out what the offer rates were for this past summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:11 pm

So I know there has been a big influx into Houston lately, i.e. Sidley/KE/etc. and we hear a ton about them; but what's the general opinion on Orrick Herrington in Houston?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:How can I find out what the offer rates were for this past summer?
If you have an offer, you can ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I know there has been a big influx into Houston lately, i.e. Sidley/KE/etc. and we hear a ton about them; but what's the general opinion on Orrick Herrington in Houston?
Interested in this as well. More generally, for those with insight, what are your predictions over the next few years for the Houston market and which firms will be doing well?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:34 pm

any word on which local counsel in dallas will be landing toyota as a client? they are moving to a massive headquarters to plano with 4K employees right now

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any word on which local counsel in dallas will be landing toyota as a client? they are moving to a massive headquarters to plano with 4K employees right now
Very interested in this.

Also, nalp has all offer rates by office.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:any word on which local counsel in dallas will be landing toyota as a client? they are moving to a massive headquarters to plano with 4K employees right now
Probably a lot of them. The days of large companies just using one firm (or even a small number) are long gone. The HQ change doesn't necessarily mean a big shift in who they use- certainly not an immediate and sudden one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:44 am

nealric wrote:
Probably a lot of them. The days of large companies just using one firm (or even a small number) are long gone. The HQ change doesn't necessarily mean a big shift in who they use- certainly not an immediate and sudden one.
I think this is probably right!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I heard last week that NRF Dallas no offered about 1/3 of their summers.
Can anyone else confirm this?
Don't know about Dallas, but they only offered 15/19 2Ls in Houston

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Any thoughts on Sidley Houston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Any thoughts on the national satellite firms in Dallas? I'm going to one of Gibson Dunn, Jones Day, Sidley or Weil next summer and while I really liked the people, I was somewhat concerned by the volume of non-TX work they do and (relative) lack of roots in the area vs. V&E, Baker Botts, HayBoo etc. if my long term goal is to go in house in the Dallas area would I be better served at a national firm or to stick with one of the big Texas guys?

Any specific insights on any of these firms would be much appreciated as well.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on the national satellite firms in Dallas? I'm going to one of Gibson Dunn, Jones Day, Sidley or Weil next summer and while I really liked the people, I was somewhat concerned by the volume of non-TX work they do and (relative) lack of roots in the area vs. V&E, Baker Botts, HayBoo etc. if my long term goal is to go in house in the Dallas area would I be better served at a national firm or to stick with one of the big Texas guys?

his is all for M&A/corp?

All of these satellites are known and respected well in the Dallas market. Of these, GDC probably has the most prestige, and Weil probably has the lowest (office has a somewhat poor reputation due to people who work there. )

If you are at Weil or Sidley, I would go to HayBoo or V&E instead if you have the option, especially if looking for Dallas in house specifically. GDC vs HayBoo vs. V&E is a tougher call and depends on what your personality is like, where you'd fit in best, and how comfortable you are with hour expectations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:23 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on the national satellite firms in Dallas? I'm going to one of Gibson Dunn, Jones Day, Sidley or Weil next summer and while I really liked the people, I was somewhat concerned by the volume of non-TX work they do and (relative) lack of roots in the area vs. V&E, Baker Botts, HayBoo etc. if my long term goal is to go in house in the Dallas area would I be better served at a national firm or to stick with one of the big Texas guys?

his is all for M&A/corp?

All of these satellites are known and respected well in the Dallas market. Of these, GDC probably has the most prestige, and Weil probably has the lowest (office has a somewhat poor reputation due to people who work there. )

If you are at Weil or Sidley, I would go to HayBoo or V&E instead if you have the option, especially if looking for Dallas in house specifically. GDC vs HayBoo vs. V&E is a tougher call and depends on what your personality is like, where you'd fit in best, and how comfortable you are with hour expectations.
I personally disagree about Weil's prestige - at least when it comes to how its viewed by GC's and those you want to impress if trying to get an in-house job. If I were you, I would take GDC and Weil hands down (assuming you want to go in house after a few years). You will likely make more money per hour here than any other firm in Dallas. I would definitely avoid JD - they have culture issues in some of their groups and pay less than almost any other big firm in Texas. As for Sidley, they have a good rep, but not as big of one as GDC/Weil because they're so new and I don't know how their total comp compares. Also, fwiw, I hear their Corp group is pretty slow.

At the end of the day, I always say if you're goal is to make partner, go to TK/HB, and if you're goal is to go in-house, go to GDC/Weil, then Akin, then VE/BB/Sidley/TK/HB, then JD/Fulbright/others.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I personally disagree about Weil's prestige - at least when it comes to how its viewed by GC's and those you want to impress if trying to get an in-house job. If I were you, I would take GDC and Weil hands down (assuming you want to go in house after a few years). You will likely make more money per hour here than any other firm in Dallas. I would definitely avoid JD - they have culture issues in some of their groups and pay less than almost any other big firm in Texas. As for Sidley, they have a good rep, but not as big of one as GDC/Weil because they're so new and I don't know how their total comp compares. Also, fwiw, I hear their Corp group is pretty slow.

At the end of the day, I always say if you're goal is to make partner, go to TK/HB, and if you're goal is to go in-house, go to GDC/Weil, then Akin, then VE/BB/Sidley/TK/HB, then JD/Fulbright/others.
Disagreeing about Weil is fine. I will stand by my statement though, as I have heard from people at multiple firms that the culture at Weil Dallas in particular got bad a few years ago. GCs may view it differently than how other law firms do, and culture may have changed since last I've heard about it, so I'll temper my statement on that a little.

Forgot about JD. I would definitely avoid if original commentator had other options. Prestigious, but if your going in house after a few years don't take lower comp and shittier hours over others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 pm

Personally would recommend you not go to Weil Dallas, unless you are a lateral from a NY sweatshop (in which case, you may love it). I interviewed there and would literally die before accepting a job there. All NY ex-sweatshopers. Morale generally seemed very low. Everyone looked incredibly tired, even by biglaw standards (and, FWIW, I currently work in biglaw, lateralled from another biglaw firm and interviewed at many major biglaw firms in NYC).

Can't speak to any of the other satellite firms you listed - no knowledge about those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm

In light of the thread on AK, thought it'd be helpful to resurrect this thread-
1. Aside from AK, other firms that are struggling or about to implode in Texas? I've heard hearsay about Locke Lord struggling a bit?
2. Any news on how GDC is doing in their new Houston office?
3. Seems like most firms are moving away from allowing splitting. Is this going to lead to a rise in offer rates?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:52 pm

-

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:In light of the thread on AK, thought it'd be helpful to resurrect this thread-
1. Aside from AK, other firms that are struggling or about to implode in Texas? I've heard hearsay about Locke Lord struggling a bit?
2. Any news on how GDC is doing in their new Houston office?
3. Seems like most firms are moving away from allowing splitting. Is this going to lead to a rise in offer rates?
Answers based on my observations (in Houston):

1. None that are anywhere to the extent of AK. I have not heard of any real issues at LL, but I rarely work with them. The top market work is still plentiful for the V&Es, LWs, KEs, etc. of the world.

2. They recently moved into their new space and are still trying to hire laterals like crazy. There are only a handful of associates and I still get 2-3 recruiter emails/calls a week for their office. Have not made any real waves in the market, but are still very new and small.

3. I think offer rates have been and will continue to go up. The national firms are all 100%, and most of the BigTex firms have gone to 100% or close to it in the last couple years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:38 pm

1L going into OCI this summer. Any news on why Jones Day Houston offer rate (1L and 2L) was absolutely terrible last year? Offer rate was 4/7 across 1Ls and 2Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm

I had heard that Jones Day is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the Houston biglaw market (unlike jones day in other cities). Guessing that they can afford to have low offer rates because they aren't competing for the top students in the first place?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had heard that Jones Day is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the Houston biglaw market (unlike jones day in other cities). Guessing that they can afford to have low offer rates because they aren't competing for the top students in the first place?
Idk, JD Houston has two returning Yale summer associates so I doubt that. I was at a different JD office and don't have the full story, but apparently there was some major drama between the summers that contributed to the low offer rate last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 am

Idk, JD Houston has two returning Yale summer associates so I doubt that. I was at a different JD office and don't have the full story, but apparently there was some major drama between the summers that contributed to the low offer rate last year.
Do you know if JD Houston and JD Dallas historically have 100% or near 100% offer rates? Interested in bidding them at OCI, but worried about last year's numbers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had heard that Jones Day is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the Houston biglaw market (unlike jones day in other cities). Guessing that they can afford to have low offer rates because they aren't competing for the top students in the first place?
I work in biglaw in Houston. Jones Day is a non-player. If you have other options, you don't go there. Don't know about the two yale summers unless they want litigation and are just going to bail to clerk anyways and then apply to better shops in town.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 am

I work in biglaw in Houston. Jones Day is a non-player.
Anyone familiar with the status of JD in Dallas? How does the corp practice compare with VE, HB, BB, Weil, etc? I had the impression that their Dallas office is much more successful than their Houston one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”