Practical tips for survival in biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Companion Cube

Silver

Re: Practical tips for survival in biglaw

Post by Companion Cube » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Note: not a single person has said "get a standing desk" yet

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:35 am

DELG wrote:This guy suggests being middle class and white, probably smart

http://www.bcgsearch.com/article/900045 ... -Law-Firm/
The middle class cares what others think of them and the lower and upper classes often could care less!
Triggered

Edit: Also this is an awful fucking article. I'm not saying that class and race may actually play a role in things, but if it does, this article does an awful job of examining the issue.

sweetscholarlytreats

New

Post by sweetscholarlytreats » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:18 am

Companion Cube wrote:Note: not a single person has said "get a standing desk" yet
reading comprehension fail

does your firm make you get a doctor's note?

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:26 am

I think this dude's stuff has been posted here before. If I recall correctly he's a "clause 9.2 and the way it works with 7.6"-level sociopath.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:24 am

sweetscholarlytreats wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:Note: not a single person has said "get a standing desk" yet
reading comprehension fail

does your firm make you get a doctor's note?

Eh I guess I skipped that post. I gotta stop semi-drunk shitposting

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:It has some good insights on lower class people, especially the view of just clocking in and clocking out. But it's definitely pro striver.
No it doesn't. It has good Insights into how a prick views working class/minorities, but that's it. Which isn't to say it doesn't tell you anything about biglaw hiring, of course.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It has some good insights on lower class people, especially the view of just clocking in and clocking out. But it's definitely pro striver.
No it doesn't. It has good Insights into how a prick views working class/minorities, but that's it. Which isn't to say it doesn't tell you anything about biglaw hiring, of course.
Poor people definitely tend to be unambitious clock punchers. Anyone who ever worked in retail has lived with that attitude.

There are definitely exceptions. The most hardworking in biglaw are the "born lower class but with a chip on their shoulder." They are pretty much psychopaths but they will bill whatever you ask for them and much more.
I'm gonna go with DF on this one. The article does make some good points, but it also makes some sweeping generalizations and only cites to self-serving anecdotes.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Poor people definitely tend to be unambitious clock punchers. Anyone who ever worked in retail has lived with that attitude.

Perhaps true generally, but if you end up getting into a top law school and getting a job in Biglaw, you're probably not unambitious. Hell, you're probably obnoxiously strivery.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Drivel. I stopped reading when he identified Barack Obama and Bill Clinton as "two of the most successful attorneys of our generation."

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:24 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Couple of other tips:

1) Do not take on any pro bono for at least a year. It can be good experience and you can get exposure to partners and clients that you otherwise would not, but it can also be a huge timesuck, can interfere with your billable work, and you don't get "leeway" for subpar work especially if it is a big case. Wait until you've figured out how to control your schedule and workflow before committing to pro bono. Watch out for seniors who try to peer pressure you into taking on pro bono cases - a red flag that those matters are taking up a ton of time.
Not an option in most cases (at least it wasn't for me). Partner assigns it, you are doing it unless you have a REALLY good excuse. It's usually some bigwig's pet project that he sure as hell isn't going to do himself.
At my firm, you don't get assigned pro bono very often. But I would consider pro bono if you are slow, which happens at a lot of firms for first years.
For firms that count pro bono hours toward your billable hours, I am guessing this advice doesn't apply? Or am I missing something?
No matter what the firm says publicly, a pro bono hour is not equal to a billable hour in the eyes of management. Most firms have formal or informal caps on how much pro bono "counts" towards billable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:53 pm

I guess this is related to surviving biglaw at least indirectly. Is it wise to rent a condo one or two blocks away from Grove St PATH station in NJ and do a 30-40 minute (google says its 33 minutes, but is it really?) commute to Midtown East 5-7 times a week? I could cut this commute down to 15-20 minutes if I rent a condo near the 4 5 in UES (forget Astoria sunnyside etc.) but is this alternative really worth spending an extra 7-9k a year (considering NYC tax, COL, increased fed tax, PATH card, could be more depending on my SO income)? I think its aprox 110 hours more at most in a car or train a year vs commuting from UES. Thanks in advance.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess this is related to surviving biglaw at least indirectly. Is it wise to rent a condo one or two blocks away from Grove St PATH station in NJ and do a 30-40 minute (google says its 33 minutes, but is it really?) commute to Midtown East 5-7 times a week? I could cut this commute down to 15-20 minutes if I rent a condo near the 4 5 in UES (forget Astoria sunnyside etc.) but is this alternative really worth spending an extra 7-9k a year (considering NYC tax, COL, increased fed tax, PATH card, could be more depending on my SO income)? I think its aprox 110 hours more at most in a car or train a year vs commuting from UES. Thanks in advance.
you will HATE the extra commute time during particularly busy periods where you just want to get home and pass out for a couple of hours before coming back in. HOWEVER, your life in biglaw will be miserable anyways so what's a little extra misery. just save the money and quit sooner

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:27 pm

gk101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess this is related to surviving biglaw at least indirectly. Is it wise to rent a condo one or two blocks away from Grove St PATH station in NJ and do a 30-40 minute (google says its 33 minutes, but is it really?) commute to Midtown East 5-7 times a week? I could cut this commute down to 15-20 minutes if I rent a condo near the 4 5 in UES (forget Astoria sunnyside etc.) but is this alternative really worth spending an extra 7-9k a year (considering NYC tax, COL, increased fed tax, PATH card, could be more depending on my SO income)? I think its aprox 110 hours more at most in a car or train a year vs commuting from UES. Thanks in advance.
you will HATE the extra commute time during particularly busy periods where you just want to get home and pass out for a couple of hours before coming back in. HOWEVER, your life in biglaw will be miserable anyways so what's a little extra misery. just save the money and quit sooner
I used to commute around 40 minutes one way...saved a ton of money that way. Now I live a lot closer, but totally thought it was worth it. I paid off my loans way more quickly than I would have. And yeah, I was working 60-70 hours a week on average, so either way it's going to suck with or without the commute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 pm

I would opt for the longer commute to save money and peace out of biglaw sooner. i opted for the more expensive place with a shorter commute (paying 2200 instead of potentially1700-1800) and kind of wish i just had that extra cash and a 15-20 minute longer commute.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Not as bad of an idea as it seems. You'll likely take a black car home every night, so you're really talking about the morning commute. If you want to do Biglaw long term it may make sense to spend more to live closer, but if your goal is to be in Biglaw for as little time as possible (as I did) then this isn't a bad way to go.

hoorahray

New

Post by hoorahray » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would opt for the longer commute to save money and peace out of biglaw sooner. i opted for the more expensive place with a shorter commute (paying 2200 instead of potentially1700-1800) and kind of wish i just had that extra cash and a 15-20 minute longer commute.
DC? This is my conundrum right now. I'm in a $2300 place that's a 15 minute door to door commute, but considering moving out to a 35-45 minute door to door that will only(ha) be around $1700.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm

hoorahray wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would opt for the longer commute to save money and peace out of biglaw sooner. i opted for the more expensive place with a shorter commute (paying 2200 instead of potentially1700-1800) and kind of wish i just had that extra cash and a 15-20 minute longer commute.
DC? This is my conundrum right now. I'm in a $2300 place that's a 15 minute door to door commute, but considering moving out to a 35-45 minute door to door that will only(ha) be around $1700.
yep DC. Totally feel the pain and not sure what to do. Love my 20 minute commute but paying rent every month makes me sad. Not sure what to do about it. will the place you're looking at for $1700 be an upgrade over your current place? Seems like much better value as commute into dc gets longer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yep DC. Totally feel the pain and not sure what to do. Love my 20 minute commute but paying rent every month makes me sad. Not sure what to do about it. will the place you're looking at for $1700 be an upgrade over your current place? Seems like much better value as commute into dc gets longer
Other anon living in DC and going to SA at a firm 35mn away from where I live this summer. I am definitely planning to move closer - even if that means a likely $500 monthly rent bump - after I graduate, provided that i stay at the same firm. Commuting in D.C., especially by metro, sucks massively. I guess not everyone minds, but the constant delays/breakdowns/single-tracking/nonsense drives me nuts.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yep DC. Totally feel the pain and not sure what to do. Love my 20 minute commute but paying rent every month makes me sad. Not sure what to do about it. will the place you're looking at for $1700 be an upgrade over your current place? Seems like much better value as commute into dc gets longer
Other anon living in DC and going to SA at a firm 35mn away from where I live this summer. I am definitely planning to move closer - even if that means a likely $500 monthly rent bump - after I graduate, provided that i stay at the same firm. Commuting in D.C., especially by metro, sucks massively. I guess not everyone minds, but the constant delays/breakdowns/single-tracking/nonsense drives me nuts.
Eh I do an hour each way and honestly only hit serious metro delays once every other month really (Red line from Shady Grove).

I'm at the extreme end - got a nice house with backyard and pay 1500/mo mortgage. But then I've got kids and a dog so it makes more sense for me.

If you're unchildrened but looking for value I can't stress Takoma Park and Silver Spring enough. Great areas, affordable, and like 20-30 min commute

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I agree about DC metro. It sucks MASSIVELY and seems to get worse with time if that's even possible considering how horrible it is already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
have you guys considered living on a line other than the red line? commute is way more reliable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:48 am

I'm looking at going out to Dunn Loring. Seems like condos come up every so often to rent for $1600-1800 close to the metro, and orange line is more reliable than red right now.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at going out to Dunn Loring. Seems like condos come up every so often to rent for $1600-1800 close to the metro, and orange line is more reliable than red right now.
Sounds like some middle earth dwarven Minas tirith ass location

SLQ23902

New

Post by SLQ23902 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Bumping this for some more tips.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”