Do firms pay for second look? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms pay for second look?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Trying to pick between some NYC offers. What is the standard procedure? They flew me out and put me up in a hotel for the CB. Is it the same for a second look? Or is it a non-overnight trip or something similar?

L’Étranger

Bronze

Re: Do firms pay for second look?

Post by L’Étranger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Had to get in on this one. Is this real? Second look?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes they generally pay for costs the same as they would for a callback. Obviously ask first.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:24 pm

on that note, is it generally the same format as a callback? do i meet with certain people that I have an interest in meeting with and thats it? or is there lunch/any type of meal included?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 pm

monsterman wrote:on that note, is it generally the same format as a callback? do i meet with certain people that I have an interest in meeting with and thats it? or is there lunch/any type of meal included?
Sometimes it's only a meal, but the standard way is a couple of interviews with whatever type of people you want to talk to and then lunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 pm

monsterman wrote:on that note, is it generally the same format as a callback? do i meet with certain people that I have an interest in meeting with and thats it? or is there lunch/any type of meal included?
Generally the same format, with a meal, but depends on the firm. It's entirely for your benefit, so if you want to do it differently, want to meet with specific people, etc, let them know.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:37 pm

okay that makes sense. has anyone done one that they found to be super helpful? i feel like the entire thing is a recruiting trip, and so no matter who you meet with you will just get a pitch for the firm instead of candid answers. but maybe that's my pessimistic view of it

rrwwa

New

Post by rrwwa » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:44 pm

monsterman wrote:okay that makes sense. has anyone done one that they found to be super helpful? i feel like the entire thing is a recruiting trip, and so no matter who you meet with you will just get a pitch for the firm instead of candid answers. but maybe that's my pessimistic view of it
I've done a few and for the most part didn't find them super helpful. I scheduled them without thinking because they were pushed on me by the firms, but really they just confirmed my initial intuitions from my callbacks. You can ask questions you wouldn't ask in a callback because you're no longer selling yourself, but even then, the people you meet with are still selling the firm so I didn't find the answers all that enlightening. At one firm, though, I did get good information on a practice group I didn't want to end up in (it's a really big money maker for the firm, and I learned that at least half of each summer class gets placed in it--so I crossed that firm off my list).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm

monsterman wrote:okay that makes sense. has anyone done one that they found to be super helpful? i feel like the entire thing is a recruiting trip, and so no matter who you meet with you will just get a pitch for the firm instead of candid answers. but maybe that's my pessimistic view of it
I can tell you that I answer questions pretty honestly (too honestly?), and my firm has given me no marching orders about keeping mum on high and low points. We have enough interest from possible summers that what we want is a good match with our firm/practice group, not something based on a pitch. Also we have a pretty good track record of people sticking around, maybe because we prefer if summers come in aware of what they are getting into (so to speak).

I also did a second look at a few firms to narrow and found it helpful to meet more people in each office. You won't necessarily learn everything...that's what summer is for, and if you have multiple offers and can second look then you can survive 3L OCI with a job or split a summer if you pick the "wrong" place. Heck, when I turned down offers several of them flat out told me to be in touch if my summer sucked.

Tl;dr. it was worth the time to me.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 pm

ah okay this is really helpful. i think i will go on a second look for at least one of the firms that have certain attorneys I'd like to speak with. also, as a super undecided person at this point i would love to keep options open for later down the road if I do make the wrong choice after all this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”