District Attorney Offices 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone here about the Bronx DA hiring now? they have some new funds and have started interviewing again to hire for September class

By interview again, do you mean invite the people who made it to the final round but didn't get an offer for this upcoming class?

I recall I had a classmate who made it to the final but didn't get an offer, but he made it sound like he was waitlisted. Would be a nice surprise to get one this late in the game.

Speaking of late in the game, I still have yet to hear ANYTHING back from KCDA since my panel back in September. Not even a rejection when I updated about another offer. I took the other offer, but it's unprofessional AF and my career office is just bamboozled by it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:07 am

not sure, i have been practicing for a couple of years at this point, i got a call late june to schedule an interview and i did the first round, wondering if anyone else on this thread has been called back or done a first interview recently and wanted to know how long generally is it before each round of interviews

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 am

my friend has a panel with bronx this week..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:50 am

Does anyone know if we get 2 tries at the bar for dany? Freaking out a bit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:18 am

Just got an offer from Miami. Apparently the hiring process ran way behind this year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if we get 2 tries at the bar for dany? Freaking out a bit
It's in the paperwork Legal Hiring gave you when you got the offer. I don't have the paperwork on me, but I'm 90% sure we get to try again in February (and get two weeks vacation to study)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's going on at DANY? Heard lots of rumors of turnover/general dissatisfaction in the Trial Bureaus. For example, they usually lose about 17 Trial Division ADAs a year and as of June they've lost over 40. Spoke briefly with someone who uses to work there (now an AUSA) and said morale is way low and that a lot of people feel undervalued.
Current Manhattan ADA here. Actually kinda depends on the trial bureau (some are experiencing dips in morale, and one in particular is rock bottom, while others are on the rebound or never went down). The office is having to pay for its crazy hiring practices over the past 5 or so years, 2013 being the worst where they only put 4 rookies in each bureau and there are months where there are 5-6 institutional assignments so that class was basically assigned every day. Everyone's rookie year is hard because you're assigned most of the time while handling 150-200 cases, but the office unnecessarily made it even worse with smaller classes. They're finally going back in the right direction (they hired a class large enough to supply 8 rookies per bureau), but the office is losing the ADA's who suffered through the severe overstretch.

So there's been an uptick in people leaving in addition to the normal turnover of people going to US Attorney's Offices, firms, etc. I suspect it will even back out once the affected classes from the hiring shenanigans have left.

ETA: also, I don't think the 40 figure is correct. There have been quite a few farewell emails over this summer, but I don't think the figure is that high.
Does anyone know if we get 2 tries at the bar for dany? Freaking out a bit
You get 3 tries total. If you don't pass the 1st time, you get the month of February off (paid) to study. However, if you fail again, you have to take July off (unpaid), and if you don't pass that 3rd time you're let go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Did any other incoming NYC ADAs neglect to finish the NYLC in time to take the August NYLE? Am I in big trouble now that I have to take it in October? :oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Does anyone know how DANY decides bureau placements? For internships, they sent us a form where we ranked trial division, appeals, special narcotics, etc. - do they do something similar for ADAs?

I really don't want to be placed in appeals...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Awww, why not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how DANY decides bureau placements? For internships, they sent us a form where we ranked trial division, appeals, special narcotics, etc. - do they do something similar for ADAs?

They really try to not put people in Appeals if they are 100% opposed to it. That said, if you gave a lukewarm answer to whether you'd like to do Appeals during the interviews, you might find yourself in there.

Other than that, most people go to Trial Division, a few to SNC. The placement per bureau in the Trial Division remains a mystery to me though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That said, if you gave a lukewarm answer to whether you'd like to do Appeals during the interviews, you might find yourself in there.
Ah, this explains it. I was somewhat opposed but didn't rule it out because I wanted to be hired anywhere (Not DANY, but another NYC office).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Is there a thread for 2017 hiring?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a thread for 2017 hiring?
Not yet. Usually one starts up at the end of July. I guess I could make it.

EDIT: Done. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=267166

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:53 am

anyone know the policies for what happens if you fail the bar at the respective nyc offices? i've heard you get 2 chances but unsure

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know the policies for what happens if you fail the bar at the respective nyc offices? i've heard you get 2 chances but unsure

PM me. I have an anecdote for you from my office related to this question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 am

Hey, I posted on the 2017 thread, but also wanted to post here in case it might get me more advice. I'm really interested in becoming an assistant district attorney. It would be my dream first job. I am wondering if you could offer some window as to what I'd need (grade wise, experience wise, etc) to get hired.

FYI I'm a 2L at a T20 regional with a B average. I worked at the AG's office for like 6 months. Could you give some advice on what I should do from now on?

Since my school is regional, I was wondering if I should only apply to DA offices in state or should I feel comfortable branching out to other states I'm interested in?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Anyone else still waiting on their school delivering their diploma for their office's background check?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I posted on the 2017 thread, but also wanted to post here in case it might get me more advice. I'm really interested in becoming an assistant district attorney. It would be my dream first job. I am wondering if you could offer some window as to what I'd need (grade wise, experience wise, etc) to get hired.

FYI I'm a 2L at a T20 regional with a B average. I worked at the AG's office for like 6 months. Could you give some advice on what I should do from now on?

Since my school is regional, I was wondering if I should only apply to DA offices in state or should I feel comfortable branching out to other states I'm interested in?

Thanks!

I was going to say read through the thread, but yea, 28 pages is a lot to read through.

Your questions vary from office to office, but generally, grades and school don't matter for state/local ADA positions. They want to see demonstrable interest in public sector work, not necessarily prosecution, but something to indicate that you really are committed to public interest and ADA isn't a fallback for not getting biglaw.

Get criminal law/mock trial/moot court experience. You definitely need to get some internships at a prosecutor's office. Make clear at your internship you want practical experience, like complaint typing, arraignment, or even conducting a hearing under supervision.

It doesn't hurt to apply to other states, but your strongest bet is your local ones. They're the ones with alumni.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:03 am

Just saw that the Bronx email was not bcced. This is a huge class, I (quickly) counted 51.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Probably more with laterals.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:23 pm

DANY has a good size class coming in too (at least according to the rumors).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:54 pm

sd5289 wrote:DANY has a good size class coming in too (at least according to the rumors).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:46 pm

t-20 3L, below median. I hadn't considered this route until a few months ago, so neither of my summer experiences reflect a particular interest in a prosecutor's office: RA + 2/7/9/DC externship --> Senate judiciary (doing some crim justice reform stuff, which is what sparked my interest in Crim Law).

No moot court or trial ad experience.

What're my chances at a non-NYC DA's office? Am I perma-fuct?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:t-20 3L, below median. I hadn't considered this route until a few months ago, so neither of my summer experiences reflect a particular interest in a prosecutor's office: RA + 2/7/9/DC externship --> Senate judiciary (doing some crim justice reform stuff, which is what sparked my interest in Crim Law).

No moot court or trial ad experience.

What're my chances at a non-NYC DA's office? Am I perma-fuct?
You're not perma-fucked if you can express interest/take Crim Pro or Trial (or both), and be convincing in an interview/application.

Purely anecdotal, but I had a few friends decide their 3L they wanted to work for the DA after some firm stuff didn't work out for them. They got jobs. It just depends. Although, I will tell you from my own experience as an intern, being a prosecutor is intense, esp if you don't intern first and see many sentencings, etc, it can be hard to know how you will handle it. Make sure the idea and practice of being a prosecutor jives with you. There are other options if you're not into it.

Edit: Sorry I have zero idea of your chances. But if anyone else knows, I know someone similarly situated who would also be interested in the answer to this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”