Have you considered... Delaware? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Received an SA offer from RLF and wasn't even responded to by all the other ''big 4'' in DE. Strange since RLF seems to be #1 in DE (right?)
OCI/mass mailing for SAs is a crapshoot so it's not that strange. RLF/MNAT are considered the top two (at least ITT), but it seems to depend on who you ask as to which is better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:54 am

What type of compensation can one expect at the Big 4? I doubt it's market but it'd be nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What type of compensation can one expect at the Big 4? I doubt it's market but it'd be nice.
Incoming first year at a Big 4. Comp is $160,000 base + $5,000 signing bonus + bonus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:51 pm

All of the big 4 DE firms moved to 160k last year. Skadden DE is 180k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All of the big 4 DE firms moved to 160k last year. Skadden DE is 180k.
Can confirm that RLF is 160k (says on NALP), SAs get 3,077 a week, and that 1st years are not eligible for bonus. However, 4 week paid vacation and no billable requirement (de jure anyways).

Can anyone knowledgable ITT tell me more about RLF? I'm going there and would love to hear the good/bad/exit options, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Can anyone knowledgable about DE tell me how doable it is to spend a year at a Big 4 then lateral out to a totally different market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Does anyone know whether the Big 4 pay clerkship bonuses to associates who work for a year or two, leave to clerk (Chancery, DE Supreme Ct., or D. Del./Bankruptcy), and then come back? And is it typical to give credit for that year? Or is that just firm/associate-dependent? Finally, does anyone know what the clerkship bonus typically is for the Big 4/other biglaw satellite offices (again, assuming the same courts above)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone knowledgable about DE tell me how doable it is to spend a year at a Big 4 then lateral out to a totally different market?
Can only speak for RLF, but people have lateraled to NY/DC/CA/TX/Philly. I hear it's pretty hard to lateral after only a year, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone knowledgable about DE tell me how doable it is to spend a year at a Big 4 then lateral out to a totally different market?
Can only speak for RLF, but people have lateraled to NY/DC/CA/TX/Philly. I hear it's pretty hard to lateral after only a year, though.
Sounds like RLF name carries pretty well then?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am

I will be clerking in Wilmington for the 2017-2018 term and I have a wife and three year old living with me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to areas we should look for housing? We're looking for something family friendly. We wouldn't be opposed to an apartment set-up that has a community aspect to it (pool, fitness center, shared common areas, etc.). We'll be looking for something in the 1200/month range with 2 bedrooms 1.5-2 baths.

I've heard N. Wilmington is a nice area to look as well as areas outside the city. Any tips on realtors, locations, or rental agencies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be clerking in Wilmington for the 2017-2018 term and I have a wife and three year old living with me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to areas we should look for housing? We're looking for something family friendly. We wouldn't be opposed to an apartment set-up that has a community aspect to it (pool, fitness center, shared common areas, etc.). We'll be looking for something in the 1200/month range with 2 bedrooms 1.5-2 baths.

I've heard N. Wilmington is a nice area to look as well as areas outside the city. Any tips on realtors, locations, or rental agencies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Check out Greenville Place apartments. The apartments themselves are a little older but the quality isn't terrible, and they should meet your budget/space requirements (including pets if you have them). There are lots of families in the complex, a pool, and a workout room, and it feels more like a neighborhood than your standard recently-built apartments. The complex is also in one of the nicest areas in Delaware (Greenville) and probably a 10-15 minute drive from your office.

There are plenty of other complexes throughout the area but that's the one I'm familiar with and would recommend. North Wilmington is also nice, along with Trolley Square and some of the areas around it. The rental market in Wilmington seems to be a lot pricier than the buyer's market, so it might be hard to find a decent house in a safe area at that price.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I will be clerking in Wilmington for the 2017-2018 term and I have a wife and three year old living with me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to areas we should look for housing? We're looking for something family friendly. We wouldn't be opposed to an apartment set-up that has a community aspect to it (pool, fitness center, shared common areas, etc.). We'll be looking for something in the 1200/month range with 2 bedrooms 1.5-2 baths.

Check out Greenville Place apartments. The apartments themselves are a little older but the quality isn't terrible, and they should meet your budget/space requirements (including pets if you have them). There are lots of families in the complex, a pool, and a workout room, and it feels more like a neighborhood than your standard recently-built apartments. The complex is also in one of the nicest areas in Delaware (Greenville) and probably a 10-15 minute drive from your office.

There are plenty of other complexes throughout the area but that's the one I'm familiar with and would recommend. North Wilmington is also nice, along with Trolley Square and some of the areas around it. The rental market in Wilmington seems to be a lot pricier than the buyer's market, so it might be hard to find a decent house in a safe area at that price.
Thank you that is helpful. We'll check out those apartments over the next month or so. I think Trolley Square is another area we are going to consider. I appreciate the suggestions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:45 am

Posting this here rather than the bar prep forum because I don't think there's enough Delaware interest to get a response: What kind of practice scores on the Barbri essays and MBE questions should I be shooting for? Any other general state-specific tips?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:07 am

does anyone have an idea of how salary scales up at the moment? i know big 4 are starting at 190, but what do 2nd, 3rd, 4th years make?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:07 am
does anyone have an idea of how salary scales up at the moment? i know big 4 are starting at 190, but what do 2nd, 3rd, 4th years make?
Add roughly 5% for each subsequent year, e.g., a third year makes ~210.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:39 pm

does anyone have an idea about what the clerkship bonus is roughly for each of the big 4 DE firms, and does it vary depending on chancery/supreme/DE fed/DE bankruptcy/superior CCLD vs non CCLD etc

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”