Have you considered... Delaware? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Based on what multiple firms told me, it seems like 10-7 (I don't know why but everyone said they came in around 10)

Also, some firms have a higher billable hour requirement in Lit than any other practice.
In my group [Big 4 corp trans], hours are usually 9 to 7 or 8. That being said, if you're particularly busy you could be there into the AM hours.
Are you typically logging in on weekends, as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:22 am

Does anyone know if PA does email or snail mail dings? I put the wrong apartment number as my address and paranoid my ding was already mailed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Based on what multiple firms told me, it seems like 10-7 (I don't know why but everyone said they came in around 10)

Also, some firms have a higher billable hour requirement in Lit than any other practice.
In my group [Big 4 corp trans], hours are usually 9 to 7 or 8. That being said, if you're particularly busy you could be there into the AM hours.
Are you typically logging in on weekends, as well?
Yeah, I log in for a few hours on Saturday, but not all the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Can anyone comment on DE clerkships? I'm headed to one of the Big 4 next summer, but I don't know if I'll eventually end up in lit, corp, bk, etc.

Which clerkships are generally considered best in DE? Are there any that will corner me into a practice group?
When do the various courts usually start hiring clerks?
Should I list my SA job on my resume/cover letter when I send out apps?
Is clerking in the bankruptcy division worth it if I don't know if that's what I want to do?
How much value is there in clerking in a random district or circuit court outside of DE?

I'm interested clerking, but I don't really want to clerk outside DE because (1) I've moved around a ton and I want to stay in one place/put down roots, (2) I'm not sure of the value of clerking in some other random location given the more specialized nature of what I'm likely to do in DE (but maybe this isn't a relevant factor?). Also, I have zero ties to DE, so it seems like it might be worth clerking in a DE court of some kind (if I can) to get integrated into the DE Bar. Any input here is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:20 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:39 pm

More silence

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Has anyone received a post CB ding from PA? Wondering to see if they email or snail mail rejections

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone comment on DE clerkships? I'm headed to one of the Big 4 next summer, but I don't know if I'll eventually end up in lit, corp, bk, etc.

Which clerkships are generally considered best in DE? Are there any that will corner me into a practice group?
Is clerking in the bankruptcy division worth it if I don't know if that's what I want to do?
How much value is there in clerking in a random district or circuit court outside of DE?

I'm interested clerking, but I don't really want to clerk outside DE because (1) I've moved around a ton and I want to stay in one place/put down roots, (2) I'm not sure of the value of clerking in some other random location given the more specialized nature of what I'm likely to do in DE (but maybe this isn't a relevant factor?). Also, I have zero ties to DE, so it seems like it might be worth clerking in a DE court of some kind (if I can) to get integrated into the DE Bar. Any input here is appreciated.
A surprising number of people do Superior -> Big 4 but I would take Ambro > Dist. Ct. > Sup. Ct. > Chancery > BK > Superior

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone comment on DE clerkships? I'm headed to one of the Big 4 next summer, but I don't know if I'll eventually end up in lit, corp, bk, etc.

1. Chancery is top dog. Even if you do BK it won't corner you into bankruptcy though. (Edited to reflect Fed Dis. is arguably better, as noted above. People quarrel about Chancery v. Supreme)

2. Hiring begins very early. The timeline is similar to prestigious fed clerkships.

3. Yes

4. Delaware BK is actually pretty active. As I said previously, it won't pigeonhole you.

5. Little. Although I've found DE firms are kind of weird about liking clerkships in general.

A clerkship in DE will help you immensely if you want DE. But even if you clerk elsewhere, a well crafted story is all you need. There are plenty of anecdotes about the proper way to approach DE firms on this forum.
Last edited by irish921 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a post CB ding from PA? Wondering to see if they email or snail mail rejections
I've heard snail

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Person who asked about DE clerkships here. Thanks for the input.

I looked at the firm bios of people who work at the firm I'm going to, and the overwhelming majority clerked in DE for Dist., SC, or Chancery.

I guess to get at the heart of my question, as I already have an SA lined up with a top DE firm that has 90-100% offer rates, and as I don't know that I want to do litigation, what benefit is there to clerking? Does it provide significant long-term benefits within the firm or in terms of exit opportunities in or out of DE?

I don't have a burning desire to clerk just for clerking's sake, only trying to make sure I'm setting myself as well as I can (cart before horse a little here, I know).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Anyone know what the RLF CB to offer time line looks like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what the RLF CB to offer time line looks like?
Anonymous User wrote: I know someone who had a CB on a Thursday and got an offer Tuesday. I had a CB on a Wednesday & was dinged like the following Saturday or something via snail mail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Person who asked about DE clerkships here. Thanks for the input.

I looked at the firm bios of people who work at the firm I'm going to, and the overwhelming majority clerked in DE for Dist., SC, or Chancery.

I guess to get at the heart of my question, as I already have an SA lined up with a top DE firm that has 90-100% offer rates, and as I don't know that I want to do litigation, what benefit is there to clerking? Does it provide significant long-term benefits within the firm or in terms of exit opportunities in or out of DE?

I don't have a burning desire to clerk just for clerking's sake, only trying to make sure I'm setting myself as well as I can (cart before horse a little here, I know).
A chancery clerkship will open the door to NYC firms should you not like DE.

Also, I know chancery clerks who ended up doing transactional, so the clerkship doesn't marry you to lit, though most clerks end up in lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:32 pm

seespotrun wrote: A chancery clerkship will open the door to NYC firms should you not like DE.

Also, I know chancery clerks who ended up doing transactional, so the clerkship doesn't marry you to lit, though most clerks end up in lit.
Others have helped me with these question as well, but if I'm not sure I'll be in DE long term (though I hope I do like it enough to stay), would it be wise to look for fed. clerkships, particularly in other geographic regions where I would consider living, if I jump ship? And does DE Chancery/SC help with exit options anywhere other than NYC and DE?

I have the impression that getting a fed clerkship anywhere would make it easier to lateral into a different position somewhere else than if I only had DE firm experience, but I could be dead wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm

anything from PA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:31 pm

anything from PA?
Nope, but will be pulling out from my after CB silence, so good luck all

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Asked for status update and was told that I was on hold about two weeks ago. Withdrew from consideration and accepted at firm in the south.

Median T30. Strong Delaware ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Anyone hear from RLF lately?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from RLF lately?
Wondering the same thing. CB on 9/11, and was told at lunch they would probably be getting back to me in Oct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Mine was 2 weeks ago

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Mine was 2 weeks ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Anything last week from RLF?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:11 pm

I accepted an offer at RLF recently. CB was late last month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:18 pm

^ was it this past week? Had one late last month as well, haven't heard anything yet ...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”