Veterans' Board of Appeals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Veterans' Board of Appeals

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview coming up. Total long shot application, this would be a dream job. I'd kill to work in the federal government. Is the interview truly just a getting to know you/resume scanner? Does being military go a long way in these interviews? I'm a reserve officer.

It is a getting to know you sort of interview. My interview panel consisted of three judges, most of the questions were about writing ability and experience (how do you make sure you're giving the judge a final product, what's your writing process like, etc.). They are really looking for people who are dedicated to helping Veterans, so emphasize that. Be prepared to talk about time management - you go on production at six months and they'd prefer you to be hitting production before that. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview coming up. Total long shot application, this would be a dream job. I'd kill to work in the federal government. Is the interview truly just a getting to know you/resume scanner? Does being military go a long way in these interviews? I'm a reserve officer.

It is a getting to know you sort of interview. My interview panel consisted of three judges, most of the questions were about writing ability and experience (how do you make sure you're giving the judge a final product, what's your writing process like, etc.). They are really looking for people who are dedicated to helping Veterans, so emphasize that. Be prepared to talk about time management - you go on production at six months and they'd prefer you to be hitting production before that. Good luck!

Original poster here again. Two questions for you: (1) "Hitting production"? And (2) what's the typical timing on offers/start dates for this? I'm a current law clerk with my term ending at the end of the summer, would they work with me to get a start date past my clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Original poster here again. Two questions for you: (1) "Hitting production"? And (2) what's the typical timing on offers/start dates for this? I'm a current law clerk with my term ending at the end of the summer, would they work with me to get a start date past my clerkship?

Different anon but will chime in. Production refers to a yearly case requirement. After 6 months of training/mentorship, you're expected to complete a certain number of cases per year, which averages to 2 to 3 per week (complete more, with high ratings for decision quality, and you're eligible for a small yearly bonus). I'd guess an offer could come anywhere from a few days to a month after the interview. They have and will continue to have a need for a LOT of attorneys, so I think the chances of them working with you on start date are very good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Word is that the Board plans to hire 160 attorneys this year alone. With the new administration, BVA is probably your best shot in getting your foot in the federal government.

So, apply!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Current VA employee, we're ramping up to hire ~500 Rating Veterans Service Representatives (GS-9 target 12) and another ~600 Veterans Service Representatives (GS-7 target 10). Not attorney roles, but a great opportunity to get your foot in the door to compete for the Board jobs later, and a number of JDs do it. Almost all 57 Regional Offices will be hiring too.

Return to “Legal Employment”