1L Summer Job Search C/O 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Platinum

Re: 1L Summer Job Search C/O 2017

Post by 03152016 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:03 pm

checking in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Anyone have any experience applying to 1L diversity fellowships? Most of them require a personal statement and I'm wondering if I should approach them the same way I did law school PS or if there is a different approach that needs to be taken.

Manteca

Silver

Post by Manteca » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Checking in

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:29 pm

The early bird doesn't get the worm when you aren't even allowed to apply until December 1. Waste time worrying about 1L summer at your own risk. You'll be a hell of a lot more worried about 2L summer when your grades suffer as a result.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Last edited by sesto elemento on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Tag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Can't tell you how many people I know had "substantive" 1L gigs at firms, AUSA, fed gov etc. got laughed out of rooms at OCI because of their grades. probably damn near the best possible 1L gig you can have was landed by someone at my school who then struck out at OCI. Can't elaborate or will be outed. Absolutely nothing you do 1L summer will translate into what you will be doing as an associate at a BigLaw firm. BigLaw firms know that, CSO knows that , 2Ls and 3Ls know that. 1Ls still get their panties in a bunch over 1L jobs for god know what reason.

Someone above said it's all about EXPERIENCE + GRADES. Maybe for every other job in the world besides the 2L SA. Two of the people going to Cravath from my school were research assistants. BigLaw firms know that's a bullshit job, no matter how much you tell them you improved your research and writing skills. Doesn't matter though because Grades.

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:43 pm

tag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't tell you how many people I know had "substantive" 1L gigs at firms, AUSA, fed gov etc. got laughed out of rooms at OCI because of their grades. probably damn near the best possible 1L gig you can have was landed by someone at my school who then struck out at OCI. Can't elaborate or will be outed. Absolutely nothing you do 1L summer will translate into what you will be doing as an associate at a BigLaw firm. BigLaw firms know that, CSO knows that , 2Ls and 3Ls know that. 1Ls still get their panties in a bunch over 1L jobs for god know what reason.

Someone above said it's all about EXPERIENCE + GRADES. Maybe for every other job in the world besides the 2L SA. Two of the people going to Cravath from my school were research assistants. BigLaw firms know that's a bullshit job, no matter how much you tell them you improved your research and writing skills. Doesn't matter though because Grades.
This. Given my experience and the experiences of my classmates, TITCR.

Your 1L grades could literally make or break your legal career before it even begins. As long as you do ANYTHING legal 1L summer, you'll be fine if your grades are on point. It won't matter for shit if you are the right hand of God your 1L summer if your grades aren't spectacular. Forget about 1L summer, laser focus on grades!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Sure. Grades are wayyyyyy more important. But it's mid October. There's really nothing wrong with spending a few days getting cover letters ready to go.

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:10 pm

You should be spending more time networking and developing connections for the 2L job hunt than working on the 1L job. Plenty of people get 1L jobs in April. April is too late to start networking.

Unless you're in Texas, in which case I think the 1L job hunt actually matters.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 pm

OP updated with some useful info via sesto and a banner courtesy of smccgrey!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't tell you how many people I know had "substantive" 1L gigs at firms, AUSA, fed gov etc. got laughed out of rooms at OCI because of their grades. probably damn near the best possible 1L gig you can have was landed by someone at my school who then struck out at OCI. Can't elaborate or will be outed. Absolutely nothing you do 1L summer will translate into what you will be doing as an associate at a BigLaw firm. BigLaw firms know that, CSO knows that , 2Ls and 3Ls know that. 1Ls still get their panties in a bunch over 1L jobs for god know what reason.

This is likely true, but keep in mind there are a few people who go to law school to work somewhere other than biglaw.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:48 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

This is likely true, but keep in mind there are a few people who go to law school to work somewhere other than biglaw.
If you're a 1L aiming for PI, you should chill out on the jerbs front because hiring for summer internships doesn't really kick off for these sorts of positions until next spring. Focus on finals.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Given how early it is, I would prioritize grades first, like many have suggested. The only thing I would recommend, at this point, in preparing for summer jobs is thinking very seriously about where you want to end up. I say this only because certain career paths, though admittedly not many, can be foreclosed by what you do 1L summer.

So, basically what I'm saying is, take this time to rock your grades and figure out if you want to do true-believer type PI. If you do, then use winter break to prepare a resume/cover letter/etc. that sells that.

If you don't want TBPI, then pretty much any legal job will do. So focus on grades, and worry about jobs later in the year.

NYCFAN1

New

Post by NYCFAN1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 pm

to make 20-30k over the summer...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:16 am

Nice OP 8)

I'm going to spend the day of 12/1 applying to firms for diversity positions.

It's not much work now making a list of firms to apply to and looking at their requirements, and it's good to start now though if you're doing the same because most of the ones I've seen so far require some sort of personal statement and some also request references/LORs. It'll only take a day, and it'll be a good break from studying considering you can't study every waking moment.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:37 am

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:01 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:27 am

Regulus wrote:even if you can't get stellar grades, you can still land a 1L SA
Uh, not sure I completely agree with this point Reggie, at least as it relates to most mere mortals

Anyway, this is something I think you might be overstating a bit:
Regulus wrote:Researching and applying to firms during your first semester should be easy given the fact there is fall break, Thanksgiving break, and many other opportunities to do this stuff - applying to 1L SAs and studying for class are not even close to mutually exclusive activities.
From what I understand, despite their ever-pervasive love of RIGOR, doesn't Chicago kind of go easy on 1Ls in the fall? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, that's just the sense I have got from reading TLS. I know for UT bros (which is probably a school where students should be mass blasting on December 1st given that Texas is the land of milk and 1L SAs), fall of 1L is kind of a bastard. There is no fall break, Thanksgiving is just Thursday-Friday (and probably classes cancelled on Wednesday, but sometimes professors make those up during "deadweek" or at least mine did), the graded LRW memo is due like December 5th or something, and then finals start like the 10th with only 3 days of "deadweek" before that.

I 100% agree with you that it's doable to mass blast December 1st and juggle all that and not get bad grades (I did) but I think the point a lot of other people are making ITT is well taken. Be careful and don't let the job search impact your grades. I think you might be underestimating the degree to which that could be possible (maybe depending on one's school?). I know that personally I could churn out firm apps at a good rate now because I am well-seasoned. But last year? I was still trying to figure out how to be a law student and navigate classes, let alone figure out the differences between firms and come up with a bunch of decent tailored cover letters. It was a lot to juggle and I'm pretty good with time management but I wouldn't call it easy. In fact, that was the only part of 1L that I found to be a bit overwhelming. Doable, certainly, but I think cautioning people to be cognizant of their time/priorities is TCR.

Anyway I pretty much agree with what you said and I'm probably annoyingly picking at that part based on my own experience, I just know a few UT students have posted ITT and I think they (and maybe people at other schools?) should just try to take a look at the end of their semester and figure out how they're going to get all this stuff done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:28 am

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:52 am

I get the above, but isn't it still the case that most people aren't going to do a 1L SA? I'm not saying people shouldn't try for one, but they're still fairly rare, numbers-wise, and people shouldn't feel like they're doomed at OCI without one. (Not that you said they were doomed, Regulus, but I think saying OCI is "much more difficult" without a 1L SA is a little anxiety-inducing when doing OCI w/o the 1L SA is much more common.)

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:59 am

Checking in.

Already making up my mailing list
Beginning to network
Getting Cover Letters, Resumes and finalizing writing sample to be sent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”