Kirkland & Ellis' Vacation Policy, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland & Ellis' Vacation Policy, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"Time Off Policy. Associates are not limited to a fixed number of vacation days. Instead, they are permitted and encouraged to take time off at their discretion."

Translation: extreme pressure to never take time off?

In the context of this, the pressure imposed by discretionary bonuses, kill what you eat partnership compensation, free-market system, etc., do K&E associates really worked harder and compete more internally than at other top firms?
I'm an associate at K&E. I'm in litigation, so YMMV with regard to corporate work.

I''m admittedly a huge fan of our vacation policy. The policy mostly reflects the no-face-time policy and faith in attorneys to do be mature enough to do their job without being babied. I honestly don't know how many days off a year I take. When things are quiet, I'll have days where I log in for 30 mins, keep the ball rolling on things, and then take the rest of the day off. Hell, that happens even when things are busy but I'm just feeling overwhelmed or in need of a day to chill. Those would probably be vacation days elsewhere, but I like not having to account for them.

My longer vacations (the same for most of us in litigation) come after a big trial. Once we finish a week or two of heavy work (trial tends to be 12-16 hour days for a couple weeks, with the weekends usually being a little gentler), the office will be empty. Even the partners won't come in for a week or so, usually catching up with family (or sleep) or taking a trip somewhere.

Both methods above are completely accepted. You just have to be mature about it -- the Courts and clients don't stop just because you want a week off, so you take time off when you can and minimize disruptions to the other folks you work with. Although I admittedly have no idea how many "vacation" days I take each year, I have no problem hitting 2400+ hours because of trial and other short-term, high-billable events while still getting the downtime I need.

Somebody asked about bonuses. Two points about that: 1) the ATL listing doesn't reflect the true range. Folks making the high end of bonuses don't leak them to ATL because they worry it might be obvious it was them (I know several folks last year alone whose bonuses don't show up on those scale). So your potential may be higher. 2) Hours are a smaller component of the bonuses than they seem. The difference between billing 2400 and 2700 hours is not substantial in bonus, and that is by design. We are constantly told, at least as associates, that they'd rather us bill 22-24 and do good work then give up our lives/burn out by sustaining 25-27. So up to 2400, there's a big credit for hours; after that it is mostly just about your merit ranking.
OP here. I really appreciate your input as somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. I seemed to get a similar vibe from people on my CBs that the no facetime culture meant there's no clear demarcation between vacation and full-tilt work sometimes but the required time to unwind is achieved nonetheless.

Do you mind me asking what office you are in and whether you think your experience holds true in other offices, if you know?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"Time Off Policy. Associates are not limited to a fixed number of vacation days. Instead, they are permitted and encouraged to take time off at their discretion."

In the context of this, the pressure imposed by discretionary bonuses, kill what you eat partnership compensation, free-market system, etc., do K&E associates really worked harder and compete more internally than at other top firms?
I'm an associate at K&E. I'm in litigation, so YMMV with regard to corporate work.

I''m admittedly a huge fan of our vacation policy. The policy mostly reflects the no-face-time policy and faith in attorneys to do be mature enough to do their job without being babied. I honestly don't know how many days off a year I take. When things are quiet, I'll have days where I log in for 30 mins, keep the ball rolling on things, and then take the rest of the day off. Hell, that happens even when things are busy but I'm just feeling overwhelmed or in need of a day to chill. Those would probably be vacation days elsewhere, but I like not having to account for them.

My longer vacations (the same for most of us in litigation) come after a big trial. Once we finish a week or two of heavy work (trial tends to be 12-16 hour days for a couple weeks, with the weekends usually being a little gentler), the office will be empty. Even the partners won't come in for a week or so, usually catching up with family (or sleep) or taking a trip somewhere.

Both methods above are completely accepted. You just have to be mature about it -- the Courts and clients don't stop just because you want a week off, so you take time off when you can and minimize disruptions to the other folks you work with. Although I admittedly have no idea how many "vacation" days I take each year, I have no problem hitting 2400+ hours because of trial and other short-term, high-billable events while still getting the downtime I need.

Somebody asked about bonuses. Two points about that: 1) the ATL listing doesn't reflect the true range. Folks making the high end of bonuses don't leak them to ATL because they worry it might be obvious it was them (I know several folks last year alone whose bonuses don't show up on those scale). So your potential may be higher. 2) Hours are a smaller component of the bonuses than they seem. The difference between billing 2400 and 2700 hours is not substantial in bonus, and that is by design. We are constantly told, at least as associates, that they'd rather us bill 22-24 and do good work then give up our lives/burn out by sustaining 25-27. So up to 2400, there's a big credit for hours; after that it is mostly just about your merit ranking.
OP here. I really appreciate your input as somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. I seemed to get a similar vibe from people on my CBs that the no facetime culture meant there's no clear demarcation between vacation and full-tilt work sometimes but the required time to unwind is achieved nonetheless.

Do you mind me asking what office you are in and whether you think your experience holds true in other offices, if you know?
My experience is that it is the same in other offices, at least for litigation.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 pm

5ky wrote:
mr.hands wrote:^is this inside information? Because it is impossible to bill 2400 (which is the norm there) and take 3-4 weeks of vacation

I think your translation is accurate for many associates at Jkirkland and elsewhere
definitely possible to take 3-4 weeks and bill 2400+
Yeah, seconding that this is possible and happens with regularity. A 2400 hour year (which isn't easy but it's far from the worst you'll hear about) is not usually a consistently heavy load all year. It's probably 2-3 months of utter hell mixed with an otherwise normal year. Normal years account for vacation. Now if someone tells you a war story about the year they broke 3k, you can probably bet they didn't take 3+ weeks of vacation.
sublime wrote:Yea, I would rather get the 2-3 weeks vacation, so if I can't use it I can get paid on the accrual.
IDK if my firm is the norm or not, but they do not pay out for associates' unused vacation time. I thought in general this is only a thing if you are hourly and actually "accrue" PTO based on how many hours you work, but I guess I really have no basis for thinking that. Do other firms actually do this?

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:20 am

Vacation policy is purely financial. They don't want to pay 40-50k severance to people who voluntarily quit after a couple years. Not getting vacation means you can't accrue days they have to pay you for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: OP here. I really appreciate your input as somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. I seemed to get a similar vibe from people on my CBs that the no facetime culture meant there's no clear demarcation between vacation and full-tilt work sometimes but the required time to unwind is achieved nonetheless.

My experience is that it is the same in other offices, at least for litigation.
I'm an incoming associate at Kirkland and though I don't have the firsthand experience yet, I've kept in touch with several associates that I became friends with during last summer and they all seem to take vacation time just fine. I also got the sense from talking with people last year that taking off 2-3 weeks after trial is kind of expected because of what a grind it is. Heard it from partners and associates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm a corporate associate at K&E and think it's entirely possible to take vacations in line with the people above. As long as you're not in the midst of a big deal, you just tell partners or other associates you're working with and they plan around it. Some partners may be better about respecting this than others, but generally seems like people are able to get away for some pretty sick trips. Not hard to do generally with a little common sense.

Also think vacation in a 2,400 year is entirely possible. As people above noted, the hours aren't usually an average (e.g. 200 hours a month), but instead are a few months of near 300 with some months much less than that - at least in corporate. 2,400 hours a year in corporate is pretty high, though. Would say most people are closer to 2100-2300, with a few outliers on either side. Expectation definitely seems to be 2100 - 2300.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a corporate associate at K&E and think it's entirely possible to take vacations in line with the people above. As long as you're not in the midst of a big deal, you just tell partners or other associates you're working with and they plan around it. Some partners may be better about respecting this than others, but generally seems like people are able to get away for some pretty sick trips. Not hard to do generally with a little common sense.

Also think vacation in a 2,400 year is entirely possible. As people above noted, the hours aren't usually an average (e.g. 200 hours a month), but instead are a few months of near 300 with some months much less than that - at least in corporate. 2,400 hours a year in corporate is pretty high, though. Would say most people are closer to 2100-2300, with a few outliers on either side. Expectation definitely seems to be 2100 - 2300.
Is that what the billable rate looks like at other Chicago firms in corporate? Like Sidley/Skadden etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 pm

that sounds awful and only good for single people. who else can plan a vacation on such short notice? people with families can't be like, oh my deal will wrap up next week, lets go to miami.. also sucks for anyone trying to make it to a wedding or other event, which other firms are great with if given enough notice. also several other vault firms treat vacation as sacrosanct and untouchable, realizing its needed if they want any associates to stay on

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:that sounds awful and only good for single people. who else can plan a vacation on such short notice? people with families can't be like, oh my deal will wrap up next week, lets go to miami.. also sucks for anyone trying to make it to a wedding or other event, which other firms are great with if given enough notice. also several other vault firms treat vacation as sacrosanct and untouchable, realizing its needed if they want any associates to stay on
I'm not sure you understand what being a lawyer is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:that sounds awful and only good for single people. who else can plan a vacation on such short notice? people with families can't be like, oh my deal will wrap up next week, lets go to miami.. also sucks for anyone trying to make it to a wedding or other event, which other firms are great with if given enough notice. also several other vault firms treat vacation as sacrosanct and untouchable, realizing its needed if they want any associates to stay on
am poster you quoted. midlevel at v10 firm. so i think i do, and i can tell you this is a pretty crappy policy. im in a large corporoate group and midlevels almost always get coverage on deals (seniors less so but they still do) and pple try really hard not to bother them, esp with stupid stuff they can figure out themselves. i know plenty of midlevels who have gone on vaca shortly before signing. at least around here, vaca are cancelled only in extraordinary circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
am poster you quoted. midlevel at v10 firm. so i think i do, and i can tell you this is a pretty crappy policy. im in a large corporoate group and midlevels almost always get coverage on deals (seniors less so but they still do) and pple try really hard not to bother them, esp with stupid stuff they can figure out themselves. i know plenty of midlevels who have gone on vaca shortly before signing. at least around here, vaca are cancelled only in extraordinary circumstances.
another V10 midlevel transactional, and same here. vacation is not touched unless it's a life-changing deal. I think i've heard of vacation cancelling twice since I've been here, and in both instances when you knew the context you understood why it was necessary. That's out of a sample size of hundreds of associate-vacations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 pm

"No Vacation Policy" means a policy of no vacation. Kirkland also has no coverage for vacations, which is absolutely awful as a junior. Even if you get away, you'll just be turning changes and reviewing documents in your hotel room instead of the office.

By contrast, many other top firms (i) give you a defined amount of vacation time, (ii) allow you to plan vacations months in advance, (iii) at least as a junior/midlevel, never make you cancel a vacation (partially because of (iv)) and (iv) have coverage policies so a different associate of approximately the same level is handling your matters while you're on vacation.

I'm a second-year associate so can't speak to more senior associates, but this is 100% true at my V10 firm and I know secondhand is true at many others as well. Kirkland has a terrible, terrible vacation policy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"No Vacation Policy" means a policy of no vacation. Kirkland also has no coverage for vacations, which is absolutely awful as a junior. Even if you get away, you'll just be turning changes and reviewing documents in your hotel room instead of the office.

By contrast, many other top firms (i) give you a defined amount of vacation time, (ii) allow you to plan vacations months in advance, (iii) at least as a junior/midlevel, never make you cancel a vacation (partially because of (iv)) and (iv) have coverage policies so a different associate of approximately the same level is handling your matters while you're on vacation.

I'm a second-year associate so can't speak to more senior associates, but this is 100% true at my V10 firm and I know secondhand is true at many others as well. Kirkland has a terrible, terrible vacation policy.
am 2L considering KE. I'm trying to understand why it's so bad (not doubting you, just trying to understand). In my mind, couldn't a KE associate simply just not staff themselves on a matter(s) in order to take a vacation? I'm sure there are cases where one of their current deals needs their attention during their scheduled vacation, but isn't that common at other firms too? What's the difference? Am i correct in guessing that because the free market system allows associates to staff themselves, one associate may not be able to find someone to cover their deal if no one volunteers to do it? At other firms are associated just assigned to cover the deal in the event an associate takes a vacation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Am 2L considering KE. How does the policy actually work? Does an associate have to record vacation time taken (like with the traditional accrual method) or simply alert others without a record keeping system?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:29 am

As someone from K&E this previous poster doesn't know what s/he is talking about.

I'm not sure why 2Ls are reacting to this trolling when you have people from the firm telling you how their own vacation policy works. I think enough has already been stated earlier in this thread to refute the trolling so I don't think it needs to be addressed again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:20 am

On my CB I met with a junior who was talking about how he had nothing to do (and I did immediately notice how he had no papers or anything on his desk) because he had been weening himself off deals for the previous couple weeks in anticipation of his vacation starting at the week's end. I don' think he had to "log" vacation days or anything, K&E doesn't have a minimum or maximum, he just planned one and then free-marketed himself out of being busy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Am 2L considering KE. How does the policy actually work? Does an associate have to record vacation time taken (like with the traditional accrual method) or simply alert others without a record keeping system?
This is how it works. You bill the time that you take for vacation. At the end of the month/year/whatever accounting period, you take a look at the total number of hours you've billed for vacation vs. for billable work. If you are billing 2000+ despite all your vacations, you're probably fine. If you are billing under 1800, and you've taken 200 hours of vacation, you're probably in trouble. K&E really credits associates with knowing how to manage their time.

As for the no coverage thing, this is not true. Obviously you should tell your team that you're planning on going on vacation. I recommend a month's notice. As with any law firm, you are at risk of having to do work over vacation, but I went on vacation one weekend and my midlevel specifically made sure that I didn't have to take part in a huge doc review assignment over that weekend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:37 am

Again, as a person who worked at K&E as a midlevel and knew many senior associates/partners pretty well, the vacation policy is being oversold ITT. I mentioned this above, but it's worth emphasizing because a lot of juniors seem to be posting here. It's far, far easier to take vacations as a junior associate because you're interchangeable/fungible. It isn't hard for a junior to find coverage. It gets more difficult as a midlevel, but to think of it in terms of seniority is a little misleading.

Basically, if you're working directly with a partner, it comes down to the partner. Over 90% of the partners I worked with in the corporate group were pretty shitty about vacations. Either they wouldn't let me take one or, if they did, they'd make me work over it (some would apologize, others wouldn't). And there's not much you can do at that point. By the time you're consistently working with partners, you'll be a midlevel or senior-ish associate, and you'll have a network of partners who feed you work. If you piss off one of them... well there goes one supply of work that you previously could count on.

The partners I worked with who did respect vacation were never the "power" partners, so to speak. That is to say, if your goal is visibility and advancement in the firm, you did yourself no service working for them. But on the other hand, you did have more of a life and vacation was easier to take.

If your goal is to be considered a top associate in corporate, while vacations in your junior years are easy to take and encouraged, I guarantee it'll be years after that before you take the next one. I know way too many who hadn't taken a vacation in four to five years. I also know quite a few who took frequent vacations (and were star associates)--believe me, they were working through all of them.

And no one's going to tell you to your face if they're offended or off-putted by your taking vacation. You'll just notice people not wanting to give you work or giving work you ordinarily would've received to other people. It's a gradual process where you normally were part of a circle but are slowly pushed to the outside of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone from K&E this previous poster doesn't know what s/he is talking about.

I'm not sure why 2Ls are reacting to this trolling when you have people from the firm telling you how their own vacation policy works. I think enough has already been stated earlier in this thread to refute the trolling so I don't think it needs to be addressed again.
I have to concur. I'm the first KE poster -- I get plenty of vacation time, and it isn't sporadic as implied above. I don't understand why folks are listening to all this hearsay when the folks from other firms, by definition, don't have any idea what they're talking about w/r/t to Kirkland's policy.

Here's what you should really do. Stop listening to the BS on this board and just call an mid-level or senior associate you clicked with on your callback and ask them for their take. I bet 8 out of 10 will respond the same way I'm responding and the same way the corporate associate in here is responding as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

If you are assertive enough about it, even as a mid-level associate, taking vacations at K&E and having them respected is not an issue. You have to use common sense and plan ahead a little bit, but the experiences written about above are atypical I think. People in the corporate group that I work with have taken multiple week vacations without bringing a laptop without issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2018 3:47 pm

hate to necro this but have to ask now, in the year of 2018, what is it like for juniors to take vacations? Restructuring group.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hate to necro this but have to ask now, in the year of 2018, what is it like for juniors to take vacations? Restructuring group.
I'd also be curious to hear some answers to this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hate to necro this but have to ask now, in the year of 2018, what is it like for juniors to take vacations? Restructuring group.
I'd also be curious to hear some answers to this.
It’s fine. Just let your team know well enough in advance, and get someone to cover your work while you’re gone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 12:22 pm

team..? the kirkland team has over 100 people...also on finding people to cover, is that a "I scratched your back a year ago so this time...." type of a deal? Not that I'm planning on taking a vacation anytime soon but.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:team..? the kirkland team has over 100 people...also on finding people to cover, is that a "I scratched your back a year ago so this time...." type of a deal? Not that I'm planning on taking a vacation anytime soon but.
You’ll be working on specific matters with anywhere from 5-12 attorneys (depending on matter size). Let the people on your team/matter/deal/whatever know when you’ll be gone. This happens all the time.

And yes, you can ask others on your team/matter/deal/whatever to cover for you, and you should reciprocate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”