Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm the other 12/14 person (are there others?)

I forgot January class started this week...hopefully we'll hear by the end of the week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. I'm the other 12/14 person (are there others?)

I forgot January class started this week...hopefully we'll hear by the end of the week.
I'm also a May person who received a call on 12/14. Haven't heard anything yet so we are all in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Has anyone found an answer to whether there is any reason as to why people were selected for different classes? Was it just based on availability?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone found an answer to whether there is any reason as to why people were selected for different classes? Was it just based on availability?
I heard it was a couple things: which manager was specifically interested in us, and whether that manager is with an existing group or a new group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 am

Well, it's now Thursday, January 25th. We 12/14s must stick together, and hopefully this whole thing will be over today or tomorrow. When we all get there, we should have special t-shirts made for the 12/14 Club.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm

They should probably passive-aggressively throw shade at HR too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I posted a couple of times here.
I received a final offer letter via email on Friday (My start date is in March).
March offers went out last Friday, so hopefully the 12/14 Club will hear something today, otherwise it's yet another long weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I received a final offer letter via email on Friday (My start date is in March).
March offers went out last Friday, so hopefully the 12/14 Club will hear something today, otherwise it's yet another long weekend.
What's frustrating me is that once we get the offer it's not like we even are guaranteed the job.. still have to wait for security clearances to go through and who knows what that entails.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What's frustrating me is that once we get the offer it's not like we even are guaranteed the job.. still have to wait for security clearances to go through and who knows what that entails.

Yeah...any insight here? Is it just more reference checks? Fingerprints? Drug tests?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 am

Not 100% sure about their specific process or what they look for, but in my past experience with a fed job I was asked for fingerprints, the OF-306, and the SF-85. The latter is more detailed but asks for pretty basic info like where you’ve worked and lived for the last 5 years, education history, and they also ask for 3 people who know you well.

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf85.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 pm

I don't think any of us have ever been more excited by the prospect of filling out mind-numbing paperwork.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am

Yet another week has begun for us 12/14s. Please let this be the week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

They were slow over the last week of December because of the holidays. The first two weeks of this month was spent rushing to finish January. The third week was spent doing March. Last week was the first week for Jan class, so HR was probably busy getting them up to speed with payroll etc.

All that to say I've tried to be patient with them so far, but I'm going to be pretty displeased if we don't hear something soon now. I know we don't start for months, but I need an offer already so I can quit my job!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:They were slow over the last week of December because of the holidays. The first two weeks of this month was spent rushing to finish January. The third week was spent doing March. Last week was the first week for Jan class, so HR was probably busy getting them up to speed with payroll etc.

All that to say I've tried to be patient with them so far, but I'm going to be pretty displeased if we don't hear something soon now. I know we don't start for months, but I need an offer already so I can quit my job!
Agreed. Yes, it could seem whiny that we want to receive our final offers and begin preparations months before the January and March classes could. That being said, we do all have to begin making arrangements, including moves for families and changes for jobs. Just because there is plenty of time to extend formal offers doesn't mean it should be as spread out as it's becoming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 pm

The week before the shutdown, I emailed the senior attorney that I've been in contact with, asking if he had any idea when HR would notify us. He said that barring no shutdown, we should hear next week (meaning last week, the week of 1/22). He also said to let him know if I hadn't heard by the end of the same week. I believe this is the third time where I've asked when we can expect to hear from HR and where the "deadline" comes and goes.

Should I reach out again? On the one hand, I'm not too worried since none of you have heard yet either, and I don't want to annoy him since we will be working together soon enough. On the other hand, maybe he can get HR to speed up a little bit and contact us. Is it worth bugging him again?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The week before the shutdown, I emailed the senior attorney that I've been in contact with, asking if he had any idea when HR would notify us. He said that barring no shutdown, we should hear next week (meaning last week, the week of 1/22). He also said to let him know if I hadn't heard by the end of the same week. I believe this is the third time where I've asked when we can expect to hear from HR and where the "deadline" comes and goes.

Should I reach out again? On the one hand, I'm not too worried since none of you have heard yet either, and I don't want to annoy him since we will be working together soon enough. On the other hand, maybe he can get HR to speed up a little bit and contact us. Is it worth bugging him again?
Honestly I've considered reaching out to him as well but I really don't think there's anything he can do at this point? Like I feel we would just get the same answer of "you should be hearing soon... if you haven't heard by next week then check back in..." so idk?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am

As an aside, can we all just take a moment to appreciate how insane we'd each be if we didn't have this forum? I'd be losing my mind blindly heading into February after reference checks in mid-December. Not that I'm not losing my mind to a certain degree, just a lesser degree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:17 am

Maybe you did lose your mind. Did you really interview? Were your references actually contacted?? Are any of us real, or just part of your imagination???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 am

Is this job even real???? Based on the radio-silent experience so far, all signs point to no!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Does anyone want to volunteer to call Melissa McGrath or Anastasia Johnson? It might be more productive to talk to them rather than to pester senior/managing attorneys

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone want to volunteer to call Melissa McGrath or Anastasia Johnson? It might be more productive to talk to them rather than to pester senior/managing attorneys
I'll be honest, I'm unfamiliar with Melissa and Anastasia off the top of my head. My only two points of contact through this whole thing have been Ms. Sheryl White-Riley in HR and the manager that called me on 12/14. Even with the latter, we didn't really leave open any ongoing dialogues to prod at.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Melissa and Anastasia were the two numbers listed on my interview email. I managed to contact Melissa a few weeks ago, and posted here about it.

I was unable to call them today at work, but I did email the senior attorney that I've been in contact with. I've gotten a response within the hour every other time I've reached out to him. It's going on three hours now...

I'll update when I hear from him

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am

Just perused the forum for timing trends with a previous May class. The last May class was 2016. Invites for interviews were sent out early December, May people's references were contacted in late January, and May people received offers in early March :shock: . Not that March will be the same for us, but oy. In a glass-half-full way, the 2016 May class waited a little over a month between references and offers. Granted, we're a little bit passed that already, but maybe it's closer than we think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just perused the forum for timing trends with a previous May class. The last May class was 2016. Invites for interviews were sent out early December, May people's references were contacted in late January, and May people received offers in early March :shock: . Not that March will be the same for us, but oy. In a glass-half-full way, the 2016 May class waited a little over a month between references and offers. Granted, we're a little bit passed that already, but maybe it's closer than we think.
I am dyyyyyyyying. People keep asking me what the deal is and why I haven't heard yet. I don't know what to say!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks for looking back at previous years. That news is...disheartening? Like you said though, if the time between events remains the same we should be hearing soon, in theory...

I still haven't heard back from the senior attorney.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”