Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It'll definitely verify your title/position, start date, and current employment.
Right, I guess the question is if they will ask my current employer for further info if I have not listed them as a reference.
That's actually what they will ask your current employer (even if they are not listed as reference). This is pretty standard in all industries, but they will probably reach out to HR for this info instead of your direct boss . But listed reference would probably get more direct questions, like performance, etc.

Like you, I was kinda worried about this so I listed my former supervisor. I currently work for a big firm and our HR routinely answers these types of question without alerting (or at least supposedly not to) direct supervisors since these inquiries are pretty routine and not entirely exclusive to potential new employers (fyi, these are the same questions that landlords/mortgage banks asks too).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Fuck these bullshit panel interviews

Lawmakers

New

Post by Lawmakers » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck these bullshit panel interviews
What happened? :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck these bullshit panel interviews
Oh no. That bad? :( Mine wasn't great either...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm

I interviewed this week (for the law clerk position, while I await bar results), I found the panel very hard to read, so I couldn’t really tell how it went, just hoping for the best!

Some info that I don’t think has been shared (and some repeated):
-They are interviewing until mid-September and will be making offers ASAP, late-September/early-October
-The start dates are October 29 and January 7 (they just asked me if those worked, not for a preference)
-They are interviewing 160 applicants for 50 spots, 25 for October and 25 for January

I think everything else has been mentioned. The whole process was very rapid-paced and the interview rather quick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Is the interview that intense?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 pm

I don’t know if I would call it intense, it’s just there are 7 attorneys and they all seem to have reviewed the documents submitted. I had questions about my resume, transcript, etc. So as soon as you answer one question, another attorney asks something else. They asked me for a lot of specific examples (point to a time when...).

anon821

New

Post by anon821 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It'll definitely verify your title/position, start date, and current employment.
Right, I guess the question is if they will ask my current employer for further info if I have not listed them as a reference.
That's actually what they will ask your current employer (even if they are not listed as reference). This is pretty standard in all industries, but they will probably reach out to HR for this info instead of your direct boss . But listed reference would probably get more direct questions, like performance, etc.

Like you, I was kinda worried about this so I listed my former supervisor. I currently work for a big firm and our HR routinely answers these types of question without alerting (or at least supposedly not to) direct supervisors since these inquiries are pretty routine and not entirely exclusive to potential new employers (fyi, these are the same questions that landlords/mortgage banks asks too).
Current advising attorney here. Prior to sending an offer, the office only contacts the references you provide them. After sending you an offer, the office will require you to fill out a very long background check survey for public trust security clearance and it will then contact your former employers to verify employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 am

anon821 wrote:
Current advising attorney here. Prior to sending an offer, the office only contacts the references you provide them. After sending you an offer, the office will require you to fill out a very long background check survey for public trust security clearance and it will then contact your former employers to verify employment.
Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 am

Any more updates from those who have had recent interviews? Does anyone know until what date the interviews are scheduled?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 am

When I interviewed a couple of weeks ago, they informed me they would be interviewing until the middle of September, they didn't give specific dates though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I interviewed today. Enjoyed the experience, and now waiting on pins and needles!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm

When do you think the references will be called?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed today. Enjoyed the experience, and now waiting on pins and needles!!
Glad you had a swell time! What made it enjoyable? I found my interview pretty formal and rigid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Me 2! I interviewed today, but I had a formal interview. Glad to hear someone out there had a more enjoyable time! What were other people's interviews experiences like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When do you think the references will be called?
My understanding is that references are called shortly after the initial soft offer is made. I also had one person tell me it was right before the soft offer is made, but regardless, within a few days of that event. So ultimately it depends on the offers, but if those are made in two weeks(ish), it should be right around then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Me 2! I interviewed today, but I had a formal interview. Glad to hear someone out there had a more enjoyable time! What were other people's interviews experiences like?
Anonymous User wrote: Glad you had a swell time! What made it enjoyable? I found my interview pretty formal and rigid.
What do you mean by "formal" in this context?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm

It was a panel of about 7 people. One question after the next. Felt quick and formal! Most other fed jobs I've applied to have been more casual, but this was just one question after the other, and I was done after 40 minutes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:It was a panel of about 7 people. One question after the next. Felt quick and formal! Most other fed jobs I've applied to have been more casual, but this was just one question after the other, and I was done after 40 minutes.
40 minutes ??! That was pretty long! Waahh, mine was no more than 20. :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am

Sorry I'm the one who said 40 minutes. I meant 20-25 probably, I didn't account for the chatting after with the staff when I turned in my references (who were not a part of the Panel). Was everyone's around 20-30 minutes total?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 am

Mine was almost exactly 30 minutes in the actual interview

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Mine too. Anybody have interviews scheduled for next week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:09 pm

My interview is on Monday! 2007 grad :shock: Almost no TM experience, which I am reading might be a plus?? I just really like the field and have heard that people there love their jobs. Could you imagine? :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:16 pm

I think we will hear in mid sept.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm on Monday. WISH ME LUCK!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply