Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)

Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Looks like there is some movement. One of my references was called (I haven’t confirmed with the other 2).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like there is some movement. One of my references was called (I haven’t confirmed with the other 2).
Did they contact you first before calling your references?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like there is some movement. One of my references was called (I haven’t confirmed with the other 2).
Yes. Same as with older posts in this thread, I was told it was not an offer since that would come from HR but that they were seeking permission to check my references.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:29 pm

When did they call you to ask if they could contact your references?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes. Same as with older posts in this thread, I was told it was not an offer since that would come from HR but that they were seeking permission to check my references.
When did they call you to ask if they could contact your references? And what class did they say you're in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 am

Oh. Well... looks like better luck next year. Again...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 am

I'm a different poster than those in this ongoing conversation--I Interviewed the week after Thanksgiving--and I apologize for the delay in my update. I was contacted Thursday for permission to contact my references, and my references were contacted yesterday. When I was first called, I was in the middle of submitting a time-sensitive assignment, so it was a quick hi-bye conversation and I didn't find out which class this is for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:03 am

For those who haven't yet heard (myself included), I wouldn't give up hope just yet. They just finished interviewing last Monday (December 11th) and in past years, it seems that not everyone was contacted on the same day. It's also possible that they are quickly calling and doing reference checks for those in the January class before they get to the March and May classes, especially given that it is the holiday season (references could be out of town, as could the managers) and there is a potential government shutdown looming this Friday. I think I'll keep up the hope until the end of the year. If I haven't heard anything by Friday, December 29 (the last work day of this year), I will assume I was not selected. Until then, I am still keeping my fingers crossed. Sending positive thoughts for everyone here!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am

I will try today to work myself back up to your level of optimism. Like several other people here, this isn't my first time on this ride - I'm losing my ability to think positively about getting a job with the USPTO. So probably needed a reminder to not give up hope just yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Does anyone have a general idea of how long the PTO takes to ask to check references? Do they call every applicant they are interested in hiring first and then check references, or do they call applicants and their references around the same time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have a general idea of how long the PTO takes to ask to check references? Do they call every applicant they are interested in hiring first and then check references, or do they call applicants and their references around the same time?
I don't know, but based on the information in this forum, it seems like references are called within a day or two after the applicants are called. Have they called you to ask if they could check your references?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have a general idea of how long the PTO takes to ask to check references? Do they call every applicant they are interested in hiring first and then check references, or do they call applicants and their references around the same time?
I don't know, but based on the information in this forum, it seems like references are called within a day or two after the applicants are called. Have they called you to ask if they could check your references?
Not yet, which is why I wonder what the time frame for calling applicants about checking references. My SO got a job offer on Friday and they need him to decide by tomorrow and even though his job is way better than anything at the PTO could be, he is ready to move out of our area and doesn't want to make a decision until he knows about this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not yet, which is why I wonder what the time frame for calling applicants about checking references. My SO got a job offer on Friday and they need him to decide by tomorrow and even though his job is way better than anything at the PTO could be, he is ready to move out of our area and doesn't want to make a decision until he knows about this.
I am right there with you on waiting to hear something. It seems like so far, only 2 people have posted that they got a reference call / that their references were checked. Granted, there's no way of knowing how many people are actually posting here (it could be the same few people over and over again). Based on past posts, it looks like reference calls have gone out about 8-10 days after the last interview (today is the 8th day). Yes, I've overanalyzed this. And yes, I am waiting on tenterhooks to hear either way. I hope it works out for you!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Yes, reading previous posts makes me somewhat hopeful. I see previous posts where people got offers five days apart - the first call mentioned here came on Thursday. Then I see previous and recent posts that they are trying to fill one class at a time. Another good sign. And they have changed their hiring process quite significantly in the last two years, so the unpredictability leads to a little bit of optimism.

However, I still feel a bit pessimistic and disappointed and want a glass or two of wine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, reading previous posts makes me somewhat hopeful. I see previous posts where people got offers five days apart - the first call mentioned here came on Thursday. Then I see previous and recent posts that they are trying to fill one class at a time. Another good sign. And they have changed their hiring process quite significantly in the last two years, so the unpredictability leads to a little bit of optimism.

However, I still feel a bit pessimistic and disappointed and want a glass or two of wine.
I'd join you re: the wine! This has definitely been a long and stressful / unpredictable process, given the waiting period, the interview format, and the variation in responses on this forum.

I'm hopeful we will hear something by Friday if we get the job! My current optimistic guess is that they contacted the January class first and the March / May classes haven't been contacted yet! They could call all the way up to 5:30 / 6:00pm, so today may not be out of the questions yet. Fingers crossed...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes, reading previous posts makes me somewhat hopeful. I see previous posts where people got offers five days apart - the first call mentioned here came on Thursday. Then I see previous and recent posts that they are trying to fill one class at a time. Another good sign. And they have changed their hiring process quite significantly in the last two years, so the unpredictability leads to a little bit of optimism.

I'd join you re: the wine! This has definitely been a long and stressful / unpredictable process, given the waiting period, the interview format, and the variation in responses on this forum.

I'm hopeful we will hear something by Friday if we get the job! My current optimistic guess is that they contacted the January class first and the March / May classes haven't been contacted yet! They could call all the way up to 5:30 / 6:00pm, so today may not be out of the questions yet. Fingers crossed...
I hope you are right. My uneasiness stems from the fact that it would only take a couple days to call all 60 candidates getting offers before they start checking references.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah, looks like I am headed into yet another day without a call.

At my next interview I am just going to blatantly ask how I keep getting interviews without an offer. I know a few cards are already stacked against me (I am not a recently graduated student or law clerk, and reviewing this thread and talking to some Examining Attorneys, experience is not considered favorably), but I guess I have nothing to lose. I'll happily share any feedback I get!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Has anyone considered calling to ask if there has been a status update?

Also, for those of you who have previously interviewed, did you ever formally get rejections before? Based on the forum, it seems like they don't send out rejections, but a couple of posters from a few years indicated that they did get rejection letters. It would be great to know either way!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, looks like I am headed into yet another day without a call.

At my next interview I am just going to blatantly ask how I keep getting interviews without an offer. I know a few cards are already stacked against me (I am not a recently graduated student or law clerk, and reviewing this thread and talking to some Examining Attorneys, experience is not considered favorably), but I guess I have nothing to lose. I'll happily share any feedback I get!
Same here, same here. Third time interviewing and I haven't heard anything. At this point I assume I didn't get it. :cry: I also wonder if I'd have better luck next time if I take a hiatus from law - maybe they don't want to hire someone who they perceive as being interested in/used to law firm practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Anyone with offers, could you please share tips on how to interview with these people? What do you think set you apart from the other candidates? In my opinion, the interview questions were typical and expected, and I think there are only a number of ways to answer those questions. I myself am not a recent law school grad, have had some trademark/IP experience, and worked at a firm, but I find it hard to believe that these factors would actually be used against me. This is my second time interviewing and prob my 4th time applying overall. I really do want the job at some point and will keep applying, but it is very nerve-wrecking and frustrating every single time because this opportunity seems to be available only once a year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 am

Based on deduction, it appears that at least 4-5 people in this thread are still waiting to hear and only 2 people have stated that they have heard anything about reference checks at all. It's definitely possible that they haven't notified everyone just yet and have only notified the Jan class so they could start moving forward quickly with that. I'm still going to hold out hope until the end of next week. It's been stressful to wait and I will be disappointed to not get an offer, but I don't think we're out of the running just yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:43 am

Oh, and for anyone who has interviewed multiple times, have you ever gotten a rejection letter any of the previous times?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 am

I know I have applied more than twice, but the only two showing on USAJOBS are listed as "RECEIVED". No additional updates. No official rejection appears to be the new standard, and following this site has been the closest thing I have found to monitoring the status of hiring.

There is a previous post that states that an applicant was told last year for that hiring cycle that they would first be focusing on getting the January class in and to not worry immediately if not notified about a position. However, like someone else recently pointed out, it should not take all that long to get confirmation from 60 people to call their references. Shoot, to call both the people hired AND their references could have been completed by now.

Has anyone ever called to get an update from HR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:23 pm

If I don't hear back by next Friday, I plan to call HR to ask for an update. I will post here what I hear. If anyone is planning to call sooner than that, please let us know.

The thing is that only 2 people have posted in this forum about hearing anything so far. In past years, it seems like several people posted that they had gotten offers. It could be that less people are posting in this forum now, but I still want to hold on to some hope.

Has anyone else (aside from the 2 who posted that they received a reference check call last Thursday) heard anything yet? And if so, what day of the week did you hear?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”